Author Topic: The Colors of Hudson  (Read 2575 times)

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
The Colors of Hudson
« on: June 25, 2016, 11:52:54 PM »
Hudson, NY is a strange place. Outwardly it appears simply one of many post-industrial towns along the Hudson River, but it has in its past some interesting history. Unlike most river towns, Hudson made much of its 19th Century fortune in whaling, despite being close to 100 miles from the open ocean. In the 20th Century, it had one of the greatest concentrations of prostitutes on the East Coast. A successful and prosperous city for many years, it was almost selected the capital of New York State. In spite of economic difficulties after the Second World War, it still shows the evidence of that prosperity, with many houses now designated historic buildings. More recently, it has begun to gentrify and revive economically, though this process has been slow and uneven.

We went up a few weeks ago to get lunch at a pizza place we like, and of course to walk around and take some photos. I had B&W in one of my Leicas, but these were all shot on out-of-date Kodak Gold 200 with my Rollei 35. It was overcast, which worked well with color. The palette is reflective of the city itself, with muted colors of a long history offset here and there by splashes of bright new paint applied by those trying effect a revival. While the latter draw the eye more readily, the view is still dominated by what came before.

Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
Re: The Colors of Hudson
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 11:55:19 PM »

Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 09:29:32 AM »
The one with the blue bowl and the one with the boots reminded me to Mr. Eggleston, and I like very much that gent  :)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 04:14:43 PM »
Great essay O2Pilot!  I have a pile of out-of-date Kodak Gold 200 that I usually like to shoot it on sunny days but I really like how yours turned out.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 10:01:43 PM »
Well done! I especially like the dress blowing in the wind :) (maybe because it also includes an alley, one of my favorite subjects ;) )

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 12:18:40 AM »
Thanks, folks.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 07:18:57 PM »
Great stuff! I too like the dress near to the alley shot a real sense of movement from an inanimate object.

macfred

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 08:30:03 PM »
Beautiful essay !
Those photographs are looking so very European to me ...
Love the muted colors here - great vintage mood !
It's always a great pleasure to see your photographs - thank you for sharing.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 02:23:53 PM »
Thanks, guys.

A lot of the architecture in Hudson dates back to the early Federal period, only a few decades after the US separated from Britain, so the influence of northwestern European architecture is still quite strong in places where it has been preserved.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-