Author Topic: I just made/fixed ...  (Read 108096 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: I just made/fixed ...
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2016, 11:21:55 PM »
Well, it's not really something I made or fixed... but I'm still pretty darn proud of myself.

I just developed my first roll of 35mm on a stainless reel!  8)

I used a German made reel in a Honneywell-Nikor tank for a single reel.
The reel loaded pretty well, I don't think I jumped any wires. I did try and load it the wrong way around the first time but I figured it out.
The tank does leak a bit, something I'm not used to (it's got a stainless lid).

I can't wait to see if I messed-up or not  :-\
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2016, 12:33:14 AM »
I wrap electrical tape around the lid to hold it on so it doesn't pop open by accident and to seal leaks.  It usually still drips out from under the tape a little.  I find loading 120 film onto stainless reels much easier than 35mm.  I did just get a Hewes stainless reel that is supposed to be easier. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2016, 01:14:31 PM »
Good trick for the tape.
I think my reel is a Kinderman. This is just a deduction from the made in Germany punch on it.
I liked the fact that it doesn't use a clip in the center, but rather a slot that you simply put the tip of the film in. Much less fiddling.

And for the results, it worked flawlessly. I just broke one sprocket in the process. Not bad for a first time :)
Francois

Terry

« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2016, 02:31:08 PM »
I've got a collection of steel tanks and reels, but I have one Paterson tank and it's always set for 35mm...

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2016, 09:02:06 PM »
I have one too since the last garage sale haul.
Funny thing is I discovered that they made both 120 and 220 reels in stainless...
Francois

Terry

« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2016, 11:17:48 PM »
And 127 reels too!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2016, 09:05:35 PM »
I just made something... well, it's not fully completed but I'm so happy with the progress so far that I'm showing it in its unfinished state... a rare thing.

When I went out with my spinner last week, I picked it up from a drawer only to realize something: it didn't have a home with the other cameras because of its shape. Compared to other cameras, it's anything but practical when it comes to storage. It's not square or rectangular. It won't stay up straight. When you put the lens cap on you have to remove the lens shade but to use the camera, the shade must be on as it serves as a counterweight to make the rotation smooth. There's a spare drive belt that I better not loose. To get the camera apart to change the belt should it break, you need a small phillips jeweler's screwdriver. And I often use it with an orange filter to bring the contrast up.
These are a lot of things to keep track of. So, I decided to make it a custom case. Since I wanted to keep it light, padded and mostly cheap, I opted to use some EVA foam that they sell as a floor mat at the dollar store for a whopping 3$. I made some patterns a bit like those who make costumes for comicon but instead of using contact cement, I opted for cyanoacrylate. This was a bit of a gamble since it glues foam so fast that you just need to press a bit and it's holding forever.

But anyway, here's the project as it stands right now
Francois

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2016, 04:40:20 AM »
I just made something... well, it's not fully completed but I'm so happy with the progress so far that I'm showing it in its unfinished state... a rare thing.

<snip>

But anyway, here's the project as it stands right now

That's pretty cool Francois. I wish I would think of the Dollar Store as a DIY resource center. I always end up at the Home Depot. Anyway, the only thing that might make it cooler is if the lid were flush. So the sides of the lid would fit down inside the box (snugly) and the top would overhang just enough to be flush with the sides of the box. Does that make sense?
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2016, 02:36:35 PM »
I know, I thought about it but I wanted to make it more camera bag like at the beginning. Though now I'm not so sure.
But it does make the whole thing very solid and protective.
Francois

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2016, 05:35:43 AM »
I disassembled and cleaned a 50mm f/1.4 Pentax SMC lens that had some haze. I picked it up with a 28mm f/2.8 and a generic zoom lens and P30N body for $30. The lens looks pretty good now, but it's not perfect.

Domingo A. Siliceo

• Personal blog
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2016, 10:03:07 AM »
A tiny game if compared with all your restorations, inventions et al, but the lenses of my Retina needed to be cleaned and with a spanner wrench an about ten minutes... voilà!

Terry

« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2016, 11:10:37 PM »
Good work, Domingo!  That's a sweet looking Retina you've got.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2016, 07:31:31 PM »
All this work by so many filmwasters clearly needed a thread of its own !!

Just a little something I stitched together over the week.  The shutter on this camera is (presumably) a picket fence shutter, so rather than name it simply Rotunda Lite (it's 35mm, not 120) perhaps it should be a Picket Pinhole.  About ten 3-pin panoramas on a 36 shot roll of 135, with the option for single shots as well.  I've just dev'd the first roll so will put something in the weekend thread, at the weekend.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2016, 09:36:49 PM »
Nice tongue depressors ;)
Francois

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2016, 09:45:45 PM »
Nice tongue depressors ;)

Hmm, you got me thinking I could have used some of my old saxophone reeds.   :D

Terry

« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2016, 11:55:54 PM »
I like the results you got with that thing!!!

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2016, 05:34:11 AM »
Cleaned these lenses and lubricated the shutter on the left (I'm afraid to disassemble the one on the right).

On the right is a Compound shutter with a Zeiss Doppel Amatar 1:6.8 210mm lens.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 05:36:08 AM by thatguychad »

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2016, 05:35:40 PM »
Terry sent me the thumb screw from an old Kodak view camera he has scrounged for parts. And behold, it fits! Thank you Terry, very glad for your help.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 11:02:12 PM by Ezzie »
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

Terry

« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2016, 06:54:47 PM »
You're very welcome Eirik!  It looks like it found a good home.

Chad, here's the inside view of your shutter.
http://www.cameramanuals.org/prof_pdf/photographic_inter-lens_shutters-1.pdf

I would encourage you to open it up; these old pump-retard shutters are simpler than the many-tiny-gears-that-spin-and-whiz designs.  I just cleaned and repaired an old Koilos and it was a lot of fun to work on.  And it hits the exposure times rather closely.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 07:01:19 PM by Terry »

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2016, 04:11:50 AM »

Chad, here's the inside view of your shutter.
http://www.cameramanuals.org/prof_pdf/photographic_inter-lens_shutters-1.pdf

I would encourage you to open it up; these old pump-retard shutters are simpler than the many-tiny-gears-that-spin-and-whiz designs.  I just cleaned and repaired an old Koilos and it was a lot of fun to work on.  And it hits the exposure times rather closely.

Great, thanks for the link, Terry!

Domingo A. Siliceo

• Personal blog
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2016, 06:43:23 AM »
Extraordinary pieces of centenarian engineering.

[...]
I would encourage you to open it up; these old pump-retard shutters are simpler than the many-tiny-gears-that-spin-and-whiz designs.
[...]

Terry

« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2016, 07:24:27 PM »
Agreed.  And the optics too--I think we often overrate our own accomplishments.  (Written while listening to Underworld on vinyl...)

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2016, 12:14:16 PM »
anyone tried removing the shutter housing and operating it off a SX-70/SX-70 Sonar camera?
any ideas if it even can be done?
/jonas

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #73 on: July 04, 2016, 10:30:45 PM »
It is obviously (or so I presume) a Blackbladder and it may not be the last, so Blackbladder 1. 

I'd been aiming for a 38mm focal length, but the initial position of the pinhole disk meant it was wide enough to pick up the outer threads of the shutter itself. 

With the disk moved forward it's now 45mm, a slight sacrifice there, but hopefully that will be OK.  And hopefully tomorrow will stay dry.   ;)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #74 on: July 04, 2016, 10:38:55 PM »
When I first misread it, I thought you called it the BlackAdder  :o
Francois

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #75 on: July 04, 2016, 11:44:44 PM »
It's a cunning plan!

Terry

« Reply #76 on: July 05, 2016, 12:24:09 AM »
I like the vignette--it's a good touch.

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #77 on: July 05, 2016, 05:35:53 AM »
I like this backbladder idea...

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2016, 10:42:09 PM »
I wanted a slightly wider view so I made another Blackbladder, this one at 38mm.

and I appear to have made a partner for it as well - the oRBo 67

You'll figure the name, I'm sure.  This one is wider still with a 30mm focal length.

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2016, 10:26:32 PM »
When I got this little 35RC the meter was inoperable. A little solder and some meter adjustments have it almost good as new. I haven't even gone through the first roll yet and I already love it!

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #80 on: August 02, 2016, 12:25:19 PM »
last days of summer vacation this weekend so I had to do something with that kodak projection anastigmat lens I had bought earlier this year....

cardboard to the rescue!!

poped a rada film back and loaded it up with maco ort 25, along with a ND8 filter on the lens so I'd be sure to have easy to handle shutter times (or shutterless times, if you prefer). too bad I didn't figure out until half the roll was done that I had to follow every other 6x4,5 frame number for correct frame spacing while shooting 6x9 :P
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 12:34:42 PM by jojonas~ »
/jonas

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2016, 06:04:20 PM »
I picked up an "untested" Yashica 124G on eBay for $45 while trolling "newly listed". I could tell from the pictures that it was going to need some TLC, but figured it was worth the money just for the experience of getting into the guts in case one of my (much nicer) Yashica TLRs had an issue in the future.

When I got the camera, the shutter would fire, but the blades wouldn't move, but you could tell they were trying to open and close. Removal of the rear taking lens element and a quick poke at the blades fixed that issue, but the shutter speeds were off and anything below 1/8th wouldn't complete without coaxing. I took the shutter apart, but left it on the lens board and used my trusty Tri-Flow to get everything back into shape. Speeds seem accurate (I still don't have a shutter tester), but the self timer is still non-functional, though not really a concern for me.

The meter was also non-functional and took some poking at to figure out it was shorting on the body. I know the meter is supposed to go on/off with the opening/closing of the WLF, but I couldn't figure out how they were supposed to be mechanically connected, so I moved the contacts to an always-on state. Not my favorite option, but for a $44 camera, I wasn't going to make it like new and now the meter works (and seems to be fairly accurate.)

This one will probably go back on the bay for a little profit and much-required experience was gained. I just need to glue the leather back on the front and focus knob side.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #82 on: August 10, 2016, 07:36:06 PM »
I made an 8x10 pinhole camera and Mrs. jharr did the embellishment. I can't decide whether to take pictures with it or hang it on the wall.

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #83 on: August 10, 2016, 08:43:14 PM »
That's nice looking James, did she draw all that by hand?

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #84 on: August 10, 2016, 09:02:26 PM »
That's nice looking James, did she draw all that by hand?

Yes, just freehand with a Sharpie. You should see her 'real' art when she isn't just doodling. We have some wonderful watercolors hanging around the house.
Flickr
Blogger

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #85 on: August 14, 2016, 01:14:38 PM »
I appear to have three now:  the Blackbladder, the oRBo 67, and the Graflic 69.  These last two have some Acros sitting inside waiting for the sun to come out.

The RB 6x7 back has had an upgrade with a longer focal length and a better pinhole so I'll be annoyed if I still only get a circle of image like the last test.  But I think it will be fine.  And the Graflex 6x9 has a focal length of 45mm so that should be fine as well.  We'll see.

Chances are I'll make one for the Grafmatic 4x5 6-shot film magazine as well, eventually.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #86 on: August 14, 2016, 02:30:32 PM »
Wow! The family is really growing fast! :)
Francois

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #87 on: August 14, 2016, 06:12:06 PM »
I appear to have three now:  the Blackbladder, the oRBo 67, and the Graflic 69.  These last two have some Acros sitting inside waiting for the sun to come out.

The RB 6x7 back has had an upgrade with a longer focal length and a better pinhole so I'll be annoyed if I still only get a circle of image like the last test.  But I think it will be fine.  And the Graflex 6x9 has a focal length of 45mm so that should be fine as well.  We'll see.

Chances are I'll make one for the Grafmatic 4x5 6-shot film magazine as well, eventually.
And not a bellows to be seen!?
Flickr
Blogger

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #88 on: August 30, 2016, 04:10:56 PM »
This is probably the simplest build I've ever made.
I had the mini tripod from a Sony Handycam (that's probably the only good product made by Sony in the 1990's), a German made Cullman ball head and the package I just received this morning; a Chinese copy of an Italian Manfrotto quick release plate that I got from Malaysia...
So anyways, here's the tiny monster...

Francois

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #89 on: August 30, 2016, 04:17:43 PM »
Looks like a very neat - yet quite sturdy little unit.  Nice one, Francois.  I might have to invest in similar as an option to carrying round even my travel-pod as that can be a bit cumbersome on public transport.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #90 on: August 30, 2016, 08:52:13 PM »
I must say that this Sony Handycam minipod is really surprisingly good. Legs fold so that they are all together at the back. There's a top plate with a bit of movement and a good locking system (too bad it's a plastic part).
The ball head is German precision, so no complaints there.

Besides, it beats my former folding tripod that looks more like a lightsaber with a tiny ball head that's a bit flimsy and a look that would attract any airport security guard...
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #91 on: September 02, 2016, 12:36:12 AM »
Last night I opened up my Kodak 35 RF to give the gears some lubrication and calibrate the Rangefinder.  These things are not easy to calibrate.  Unless there's a trick I don't know you loosen a screw, adjust the half mirror then tighten the screw.  The problem is everything goes out of wack as you tighten the screw.  So I had to estimate how much it needed to be off before tightening the screw.  After several attempts I finally got it just right.  The lubrication of the gears for the film advance/shutter cocking will help a lot, I had a few torn sprocket holes from the last time I used it.  I also cleaned all the glass and mirrors while I was in there.  I didn't touch the shutter, that all seems to be working good.   

Kodak 35 RF by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

The next project is new light seals for the Olympus OM-2n that Peter sent me.  The old light seals are out and everything is cleaned up and read to install the new ones. Can't wait to get some film in it.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #92 on: September 11, 2016, 10:37:21 AM »
This thread seems to have slipped down the list so a quick bump with my recently recovered R2A. Not an easy camera to recover as there's uneveness that needs to be packed out with an extra layer of leather.

Leather fom Milly's Cameras. Strap from Cam-in.

Bessa R2A by Peter Robinson, on Flickr
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #93 on: September 11, 2016, 02:40:59 PM »
I wonder if the British racing green leather actually makes the camera go faster?  :P
Just kidding... It does look pretty darn good I must say.
Francois

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #94 on: September 11, 2016, 06:03:24 PM »
I wonder if the British racing green leather actually makes the camera go faster?  :P
Just kidding... It does look pretty darn good I must say.

Thanks Francois. I didn't intend to recover it but after popping the top to clean the dust out I had trouble getting the rubber covers to restick so this was a quick solution so I can take it with me tomorrow on vacation. Will be in a town near you tomorrow (we're flying in to Montreal).
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #95 on: September 11, 2016, 08:52:34 PM »
Visiting MTL for a stay or just transit?

BTW, Trudeau Airport is really a big mess these days. 8/15 customs counters are closed and it is said that it takes 2½ hours just to get out of the airport. And you're not in the city yet.
There's major roadwork going on all around the airport, they're demolishing the old roads to make way for a new configuration so expect to see lots of orange wedding cake type cones.

Also, most taxis now refuse to bring passengers into the city on a flat rate. They also caught one recently who conned people by using a fake card machine and giving them back a fake card. so if you take a cab and pay with a card, insist on putting the card yourself in the machine and never let it slip away from your sight.
Francois

Terry

« Reply #96 on: September 11, 2016, 09:51:39 PM »
It's been years since I flew into Montreal--I always take the train from Penn Station now.  It's 10 hour trip (but the scenery is stupendous) but it saves me $300 or more.  So the idea of having one's pocket picked by a cabbie pales next to the scale of robbery the airlines get away with!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #97 on: September 11, 2016, 10:23:33 PM »
Well, not really since that cabbie then used the card and pin number to empty the bank accounts...
Francois

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #98 on: September 11, 2016, 10:35:45 PM »
Visiting MTL for a stay or just transit?

Well, we're staying in the airport hotel for one night but then picking up a car and heading for the border. We might spend a bit of time in the city before leaving Friday week as we have a late flight out.

Our itinerary is Whiteface, Syracuse, Hammondsport (for the annual seaplane fly-in), Buffalo, Niagara, Picton, Ottawa and back to Montreal. Few other places we have earmarked in between as well.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #99 on: September 11, 2016, 11:33:10 PM »
Looks like it's going to be a really nice road trip :)

Have a great time :)

And when in Ottawa, be sure to pick up some Beaver Tails at ByWard Market (it's a very sugary confection).
They do have the museum of photography too. (http://cmcp.gallery.ca/mcfarland/en/index.htm)
The museum of science and technology is always fun (they have a ton of weird things in their storage). (http://cstmuseum.techno-science.ca/en/)
Francois