Author Topic: Weekend 11-13 August 23  (Read 2016 times)

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
Weekend 11-13 August 23
« on: August 11, 2023, 06:58:58 PM »
Hello, long time no post. Thought I start the weekend with some landscapes. Shots were taken with my Leica CL and Kodak Double X, developed in XT-3 1:1.
It was quite a wet day, and given I am not very well trained, it was a bit of a rough hike down the Reichenbach gorge. My legs hurt a couple days afterwards. Still, the views were well worth it.

Reichenbach Klamm 1

Reichenbach Klamm 2

Reichenbach Klamm 3

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
Re: Weekend 11-13 August 23
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2023, 07:10:12 PM »
Hey! Great to see you Manuel, and that you survived your hike.
The photos are well worth it.

Mine is from a new to me Pentax K2. I have lusted for this camera for some time, but never found one in good working order or a price I was willing to pay.
This one is beautiufl cosmetically, the ISo dial is a bit stuck, but the meter and everything else seems to work great.
HP5 expired in 2004, shot at box speed, swished in caffenol for 8 and a quarter minutes.
this is just up the road on old route 66. It used to be a service station long ago. The new owners, (relatives) have revamped the place a bit.

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2023, 08:40:29 PM »
Manuel - lovely photos. I half expected to see Holmes and Moriarty in the first image.

Corona del Mar, on the jetty, looking slightly to the south. Leica M6, 35/2 Summi, Fomapan 100.

grit

• Silver and Platinum (my YouTube channel)
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2023, 02:58:19 PM »
Hi all, been awhile for me too but I'm back in the darkroom again. Had a nice moment this week - I won a first prize from my local camera club for this portrait ( Mamiya RZ67, 110mm lens at 2.8 )

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2023, 04:10:08 PM »
I won a first prize from my local camera club for this portrait ( Mamiya RZ67, 110mm lens at 2.8 )
Congrats on the prize!
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2023, 04:20:33 PM »
Lovely images everyone!
Finally finished the roll of (36 exp) FP4 in the Oly trip and souped it in 510 pyro

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2023, 02:19:55 PM »
I had me an urge to use my Horizon 202, but as I'd not used it since 'the before times' I thought I should give it a bit of a test run first, so off i went on a sunny Wednesday to the Bluebell Railway. Still the issue with bright vertical lines, sometimes two, sometimes only one but not always in the same place.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2023, 03:04:09 PM »
I had me an urge to use my Horizon 202, but as I'd not used it since 'the before times' I thought I should give it a bit of a test run first, so off i went on a sunny Wednesday to the Bluebell Railway. Still the issue with bright vertical lines, sometimes two, sometimes only one but not always in the same place.
There's probably some junk on one of the gears that's causing the shutter to slow down at one point.
If the gears are properly designed using a prime number of teeth, it's pretty normal that the position of the slow spot changes. I'm guessing that if you open it up, you will see a blob of grease on one of the shutter gears.
Francois

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2023, 10:13:41 PM »

Looks to be always in the same place to me. All three have one on the right in the same position, the second and third have one on the left in the same position but it's missing on the first one.

What film is this. Not Kodak TMAX 400 by any chance?
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2023, 09:04:55 AM »
I was using Ilford FP4+

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2023, 05:47:41 PM »
I was using Ilford FP4+
Hmm. It looks a bit like stress fogging and I know TMX is prone to that. Not sure FP4 is though. Just an idea.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2023, 09:12:36 PM »
This is a known issue that can occur with these cameras. I've had it twice on my KMZ Horizont which is the predecessor of the Horizon line of cameras. It can be fixed, but you need to find a camera technician that has the required knowledge of these cameras.
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2023, 09:17:41 PM »
I personally doubt that they would be stress marks as these would more likely leave a crinkle mark on the film.
Could it be possible that it's some sort of reflection on the side of the housing?
One thing that annoys me is that they are not perfectly straight and change a bit on every image. They all seem to be off at some slight angle. That's pretty much why I'm thinking reflection either on the lens barrel or the body itself.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2023, 05:49:04 AM »
I have a similar problem with my KMZ FT-2, the flare shows up in the same spot almost every time.  I think it’s common with these cameras.  I’ve seen the same flare in other peoples photos shot with FT-2’s.  I have no idea what’s causing it, I’ve done everything I could think of to seal light leaks and reduce reflections inside the camera. 

Walnut Orchard by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2023, 02:52:18 PM »
I personally doubt that they would be stress marks as these would more likely leave a crinkle mark on the film.
Why a 'crinkle'? The film doesn't get crinkled. Stress fogging is caused by the film being bent tightly such as happens in many medium format camera backs that have very small diameter rollers. The fogging looks just like a light leak right across the film. I frequently got it with TMZ used in a Mamiya 645 back. Once I found out what it was, I ditched all my TMZ and bought Ilford. The 202 has at least one such roller as I recall though I got rid of mine years ago.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2023, 03:31:47 PM »
I must admit that those Horizon have a pretty wild film path, especially at both ends.
Francois

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2023, 03:56:33 PM »
The clip which holds in the yellow filter I used is made out of some very shiny black plastic, so it is possible that could reflect let in. Reminds me of the problem I had with an Agat 18 where the light box was so shiny plastic light just bounced around inside, and I fixed that with a small can of matt black paint of the sort you paint plastic models with.
Maybe I should shoot a roll without the filter and see how that goes?

Yeah, loading the thing is tricky and at one point I felt like i didn't have enough hands. I may have missed a roller somewhere as I was putting the film in.

As far as fixing it goes, finding someone who could and sending it off would be more hassle than it's worth, really. Maybe if I had more disposable income, but not at the moment.

Thanks for all the comments!