Author Topic: A new one on me.  (Read 2381 times)

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
A new one on me.
« on: May 25, 2016, 08:43:25 PM »
My last serious developing error was to use my left hand to move some flasks of chemicals without telling my right hand what was going on.  The result was to put the fixer into the tank before the pre-soak water.

That was interesting enough, but today, after filling the dev flask with developer and water, I then proceded to fill the fixer flask with developer as well.  So, what's the routine ... presoak, dev, stop, fix, wash, or is it presoak, dev, stop, dev, wash?  Fortunately I use a stop bath so the impact wasn't much worse than some extra staining of the negs.

Definitely not a rookie mistake.  This is more like the old timer getting too casual, sort of mistake.  A bit like the elderly forestry worker who jumped from one log to the next with his chainsaw still running, and then found himself rolling down the hill in a rather noisy fashion.  Potentially a career breaker.  (He survived, and I dare say I shall, too.  ;) )

Shots from Photographica last Sunday.  Praktica F.X2, Pentacon 30/3.5, Tri-X in DDX.

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: A new one on me.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 09:14:02 PM »
Holy cow, this reminds me so much of the good days of the Montreal Camera Show...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Domingo A. Siliceo

• Personal blog
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 08:53:58 AM »
What a beautiful place! Sadly, a fair like this in Spain is near impossible to imagine.

Sandeha, do you think prices were accurate?

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 11:03:47 AM »
Domingo, I noted a dealer whose film prices were slightly higher than you can find online, though there was still a saving to be had on postage.  Otoh, I picked up a Mamiya 65mm for my TLR for £25, and even with its damaged filter rings I imagine it would get double that on eBay. 

The thing here was that everyone seemed prepared to haggle on prices - I think they just wanted to clear their stocks by the end of the day, so there were good deals to be had.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 10:20:25 PM by Sandeha Lynch »

Terry

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 02:40:45 AM »
So, what did you bring home from the fair??????

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 07:21:11 AM »
Not the full haul in this picture, Terry, as it doesn't include the Mamiya lens or another smaller shutter.

But these are the two new shutters I've reworked to carry my own meniscus lenses (plus an older front cell I had for the Compur size) and the Linhof 6x9 back.  I was in the process of adapting filter rings for them so they can carry filters and hoods.   ;)

Terry

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 08:12:38 PM »
That Schneider lens looks pretty sweet.  What are you planning to do with that Linhof back?

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 09:07:23 PM »
That Schneider lens looks pretty sweet.  What are you planning to do with that Linhof back?

Of course, it's not actually a Xenar any more.  I ripped that away and replaced it with a new coated single element, to get more fuzz around the edges.  The 6x9 is just for economy's sake - if I'm shooting a long series I can use roll film some of the time.   :)