Author Topic: St Mary the Virgin.  (Read 1756 times)

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
St Mary the Virgin.
« on: May 23, 2016, 07:22:17 PM »
I recently purchased an Arax 60 body from the Ukraine to replace my Kiev 60 for medium format macrophotography.  The main reason for doing this was: 1.  The Arax 60 has a Mirror Lock Up button to reduce vibration.  2. The Arax doesn't have the winding on issue that the Kiev had and 3. my Kiev's TTL prism finder had broken so I needed to buy a new one and, what the hell, why not stick a brand new body on the prism finder just because it has an MLU button.

The Kiev 60 kit I purchased some years ago came with two extension tubes (20 and 40 mm) and a 80mm lens and I completed the kit by purchasing a Carl Zeiss Jenner 50mm Flektagon lens and (more recently) a Jupiter 250 f3.5 lens.

There is no better place to test out a camera than a graveyard and so I decided to visit two local churches that have caught my eye when out on training rides - one in the village of Braughing and the other 5 minutes drive up the road in Little Hormead.  By coincidence both are dedicated to St Mary the Virgin.  A fact I only found out tonight, one week after having visited both churches.

I like the optics of the FSU lenses - not too sharp and just the right amount of contrast, but I was disappointed to see a couple of faults with the kit. The first is that the 250 lens has a light leak and the second is that the negatives shot with faster shutter speeds have a dark band on the right hand side of the negative as if the shutter is sticking.  I am not sure what to do about the light leak on the lens but I can stick to slower shutter speeds to solve the uneven exposure.  Clearly though some more testing is required.

Pleasingly though there was nothing wrong with the negatives where I used the extension tubes for some close ups of gravestones - this means that the Arax is perfect for the macro work for which it was purchased.

The images below are from the Braughing St Mary the Virgin

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
Re: St Mary the Virgin.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 07:23:39 PM »
And these are from St Mary the Virgin in Little Hormead.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 10:57:38 PM »
Lovely set, mate.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 03:18:05 AM »
That's very nice set Charles. Can't call out a fave, but the first one is certainly eye-catching. Thanks for sharing these.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger