Author Topic: The New York Public Library and Bryant Park  (Read 3952 times)

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
The New York Public Library and Bryant Park
« on: April 28, 2016, 01:08:52 AM »
Every time I go into the city to take pictures I make at least one pass through Bryant Park and the NY Public Library. It's just a few blocks from Grand Central, so I hop off the train and walk over before heading to whatever other locations I have in mind. The park especially is just an endless source of subject matter, especially on nice days, when huge numbers of people flock there to claim a few square feet of outdoor leisure space as their very own; what they do with it is another question....

The library itself is a hugely impressive building, and the light through the windows falling on the polished white stone interior creates some wonderful effects, while the classical architecture of the exterior is a great backdrop.

In this particular case I was in the city to pick up a lens, specifically a classic Elmar 50/3.5 for my various Leica screwmounts. I had the IIIg with me, loaded with HP5+ and mounting the Canon 28/3.5, which I used on the first run through, switching to the Elmar for the return pass. Both lenses have a classic look about them, with fairly high resolution and moderate contrast.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 01:11:29 AM by 02Pilot »
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
Re: The New York Public Library and Bryant Park
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 01:10:49 AM »

Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 02:19:30 AM »
Great set of photos! Love the first and fourth especially.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 03:27:29 AM »
Thanks, Adam. The exposure on the fourth one was total guesswork (well, most of my exposures are guesswork, but this one was harder to guess than most) - I was rather pleased it worked out as it did.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 01:45:13 PM »
Great set of photos.  My favourites are definitely the indoor set and that 4th shot is a stunner.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 05:20:51 PM »
I like #4, but #'s 5 & 6 are really holding my interest. Nice set over all though. They built a new central library here in San Diego a few years back. You have inspired me to go have a look.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 05:53:05 PM »
Thanks, guys.

James, the double stairway in the fifth shot is endlessly intriguing. I went up and down it a few times looking for different angles; having the 28 gave me a lot more options than I would have had with even a 35, let alone a 50. I'm still getting used to that focal length, but it's starting to feel a little more intuitive. The petanque courts are always busy, and you'd be hard-pressed to find a more eclectic group of people.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 08:05:21 PM »
Amazing shots. I've been to Bryant Park a million times and never quite saw those scenes at those angles with that lighting quite the way you did. That's kind of the purpose of photography, to make people stop and closely examine one exact instant in time.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 02:52:53 AM »
Thanks, Satish. I find it is always interesting to see other takes on familiar subjects - now I'm curious about your version of Bryant Park.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Domingo A. Siliceo

• Personal blog
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 08:18:00 AM »
I enjoy most of the pictures but I prefer more the second set than the first, being my favourites the second and the last image of that group.

My only time in New York was in 1985, when I was 18. I was hosted in a family in Canton (Hartford, Connecticut) for a month and we spent one day in the excursion to New York. Sadly, only things I remember from that day are the Twin Tower mirador and the Yankee Stadium.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 12:29:04 PM »
Thanks, Domingo. The second shot in the second group shows that absolutely classic Elmar rendering, which I really like, especially for street photography.

Come on back to New York - I'm sure the local FW crowd, myself included, will be more than happy to show you around.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 12:52:29 PM »
Mmmhh, I really like compositions #1 from the first batch and #4 from the second one. Great quality overall, a pleasure to look at them  :)

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 03:41:27 PM »
Thank you, calbisu. Composition of the first one was quite deliberate, but it was mostly luck in the other shot you mentioned (I don't make a habit of lingering in front of sleeping subjects in public places, lest they wake up and object to me taking their picture  ;)  ).

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 06:01:29 PM »
Wow, great show. The composition of the first picture is unbeatable and I like the chess players a lot besides all others.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 08:28:45 PM »
Thanks, Reinhold. I was really happy with the chess players as well. I hadn't noticed all the background elements when I shot it, but they came together nicely.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Gimenosaiz

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2016, 09:28:26 AM »
Hi!
Great. I like both sets although I also prefer the second one. The first photo of the first one is a great composition, ummm. What a wonderful pic-stroll!!!!

Thanks
Cheers!
Antonio

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2016, 03:13:16 AM »
Thanks, Antonio.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2016, 08:43:37 AM »
Great series. I like the combination of the cooler, architectural first part and the people shots in the 2nd part.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2016, 08:57:54 PM »
Thanks, Manuel. Bryant Park on a nice day is a strange mix of formal architecture on a grand scale surrounded by hordes of people completely ignoring it and relaxing the sun.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-