Author Topic: Indofunk's European Adventure  (Read 5079 times)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
Indofunk's European Adventure
« on: March 23, 2016, 01:05:48 PM »
As mentioned elsewhere on these pages, I recently toured Europe with a rock band I play in. Cities visited: Edinburgh, Glasgow, Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds, London, Brighton, Middlekerke (Belgium), Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Oslo, Stockholm, Hamburg, Berlin, Munich, Cantu (Italy), Brescia (Italy), Madrid, Barcelona, and Valencia (Spain). Given the number of cities, and the fact that most of them were one-offs (so I arrived in the city at 4pm, went straight to the club, soundchecked, played the gig, loaded out, and immediately moved on to the next city), I didn't have very much time to do any real filmwasting. But I still managed to waste almost a dozen rolls of 35, so herein I shall attempt to NOT bore you with the 100+ "keepers" I processed. Stay tuned...

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
Re: Indofunk's European Adventure
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 01:21:00 PM »
How about first I show you one of my favorite subjects ever: Alleys! Europe is great for alleys, especially the old parts of cities. My favorite cities for alleys on this tour were Glasgow and Barcelona. Definitely worth going back to JUST for the alleys, says I :D

Glasgow

Glasgow

Birmingham

Leeds

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Bruges
This is the famous "littlest street in Bruges" which happens to house a bar/brewery. Its house brew happens to be delicious, but what really sent me over the top is that they play classical music on the stereo! What with that and the quaint old architecture, I really felt like I was tossing back brews sometime in the 1700s and perhaps decrying the fact that this new upstart Mozart is pandering too much to the pop tastes of modern music...

Bruges

Amsterdam

Amsterdam

Cantu, Italy

Milan

Barcelona

Barcelona

Barcelona, Parc Gruell

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 01:38:40 PM »
And now why not some churches. I am not, as a general rule, a religious man, but I respect all religions and respect the fact that people tend to put a lot of effort into creating houses of worship. This of course creates wonderful subjects for me to photograph, so it is a win-win situation :)

Glasgow

Birmingham

Birmingham

Birmingham

Edinburgh

Bruges

Milan

Milan

Milan

Barcelona

Barcelona
(yes, these last two are a combination of alleys + churches! ;D )

Barcelona

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 02:18:24 PM »
Very nice! Alleys are quite irresistible, aren't they? I like the night shots and the Barcelona shots. I visited Barcelona briefly many years ago and I'd forgotten that they do have a lot of alleys. Even their regular streets often feel like alleys. It's an interesting place. As for churches, did you get to see Sagrada Familia?

Is that a fake tree cell phone tower in the church shot from Birmingham?
Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 02:48:06 PM »
Very nice! Alleys are quite irresistible, aren't they? I like the night shots and the Barcelona shots. I visited Barcelona briefly many years ago and I'd forgotten that they do have a lot of alleys. Even their regular streets often feel like alleys. It's an interesting place. As for churches, did you get to see Sagrada Familia?

Is that a fake tree cell phone tower in the church shot from Birmingham?

Sagrada Familia was a victim of the failed C41 developer :( But it still exists in my mind's eye, which is more important than my camera's eye :) It is truly a marvelous work of art.

That B'ham "tree" is certainly fake. I think you're right about it being a cell tower of some sort. Odd location for it, though...

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 03:16:32 PM »
Great essay Satish, I especially like the first two Edinburgh alleys. 

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 06:36:18 PM »
Love the alleys! Keep the pictures coming,

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 06:57:52 PM »
Very nice series , did you know there are more canals in Birmingham than there are in Venice

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 07:13:42 PM »
Very nice series , did you know there are more canals in Birmingham than there are in Venice

Fascinating! I love canals almost as much as I love alleys :) I took a walk down this particular canal, in Manchester, not Birmingham. It was a really nice walk.

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 07:20:32 PM »

Fascinating! I love canals almost as much as I love alleys :) I took a walk down this particular canal, in Manchester, not Birmingham. It was a really nice walk.

I was born in Manchester

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2016, 12:41:21 AM »
I really like the Leeds and Bruges pics. Lots of atmosphere

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2016, 03:05:17 AM »
Love the wet cobblestones in Edinburgh, but then I'm a sucker for wet cobblestones.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2016, 03:38:16 AM »
If you want "wet", then Scotland is definitely the place to be. In the middle of any given rainstorm, only about 5% of the people walking outdoors were carrying an umbrella, presumably because the other 95% had long ago given up all hope of ever being dry in that environment :D

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2016, 08:01:23 AM »
Great set! Love all those views down the street.
The perspective on that first Barcelona shot reminds me of a picture I have taken in that location :-). If I remember correctly there was an analogue camera store somewhere round the corner.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2016, 03:51:18 PM »
Great set! Love all those views down the street.
The perspective on that first Barcelona shot reminds me of a picture I have taken in that location :-). If I remember correctly there was an analogue camera store somewhere round the corner.

The first nightshot? I don't know, a lot of the BCA alleys started to look the same to me :) Gotico/Raval/Borne can get really confusing, especially for a first timer :) But if there's a good analogue photo store somewhere in the area, I'll look it up and visit next time I'm there!

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2016, 04:02:44 PM »
I still have a bunch more shots that I can bore you with, but again in an attempt to keep each post roughly themed, let's try nightshots (that aren't a part of any of the previous postings).

Leeds

Edinburgh

Glasgow

Manchester

Manchester

Some silly shots of fellow tourmates. Also, flash experiments (the first one anyways). I like how it turned out :)

Camden Town after dark

A couple from Bruges. I just watched the film "In Bruges" after I got back, and I swear that first bridge plays a prominent role in the movie, AND I equally swear that the hotel's dining room (though not the hotel itself) was one and the same with the hotel at which I stayed while there. I sat at the table right next to where they sat.

Middelkerke, Belgium

Amsterdam

I have no idea where this was taken, nor what I was thinking when I took it, but clearly I'd had a few brews before deciding it was a good idea to take this shot :) I do like the way it came out, though. ART ;D

Valencia. A head that was to be used for the Fallas parade on the following day, which sadly I had to miss because we were returning to Barcelona.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 05:39:38 PM by Indofunk »

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2016, 08:51:31 PM »
mmm, I'm thoroughly enjoying this thread! the alley collection is marvellous~ I seem to be extra fond of the British ones...
/jonas

Terry

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2016, 11:21:31 AM »
I love the alley set Satish.  I can't pick a favorite because they work so well together in total. You've really captured the atmosphere nicely.  It's a shame about the color stuff, but these photos are good compensation!

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2016, 04:33:43 AM »
Beautiful night shots, Satish! I loooooove the one of the bridge.
Leonore

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

Gimenosaiz

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2016, 06:10:17 PM »
Hi!
Great series! Great night picture ... specially THAT bridge ... brilliant !!!!!
I'm sorry I couldn't see you in Madrid :-( REALLY.

Un abrazo

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2016, 12:12:37 AM »
Hi!
Great series! Great night picture ... specially THAT bridge ... brilliant !!!!!
I'm sorry I couldn't see you in Madrid :-( REALLY.

Un abrazo

Thank you Antonio! I hope that I will be in Spain again very soon, so we will have a second chance!  ;D

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2016, 12:16:35 AM »

Which bridge? Manchester bridge or Bruges bridge? (I love how that last one kinda rhymes :) )

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2016, 05:15:34 AM »

Which bridge? Manchester bridge or Bruges bridge? (I love how that last one kinda rhymes :) )

Ah, I was so focused on the one that I like that I forgot there was another bridge shot! ;) The Bruges bridge (say that 10 times fast! ;) ). GORgeous!
Leonore