Author Topic: Liverpool  (Read 1629 times)

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
Liverpool
« on: March 14, 2016, 08:21:00 PM »
I first went to Liverpool to visit two friends at university in the midd 80s.  Can't say I saw much of the city other than the insides of a few pubs and clubs but it was a difficult period for Liverpool.  My wife and I decided to spend a week end there a couple of weeks ago (she wanted to see the Cavern Club) and the following images are of a redeveloped and reinvigorated Albert Docks.  Holga and Tri X.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 01:13:24 PM »
When I was living and working in Manchester, I used to spend a fair bit of time in Liverpool and many of your excellent photos show some very familiar landmarks.  It used to have more green space per head of population than any city in the UK. Not sure if it's still the same but I used to enjoy my visits there.

Great set Charles.

PS - did you get to Edward Chambre-Hardman's studio? I think it's National Trust these days but I've always wanted to visit as he documented Liverpool in its sharp decline after WW2 and also produced some of the loveliest studio portraits I've seen.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 01:31:04 PM »
Paul

Thanks.  We really only saw the Albert Docks and the Cavern Club before having a very nice dinner in Knowsley.  Sunday we spent at Crosby before driving back to civilisation in Hertfordshire.  ;)

I did enjoy our brief time up there though, the redevelopment of the docks has really lifted the city.  And at least this time no one called me a f**king cockney!

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 08:09:33 AM »
And at least this time no one called me a f**king cockney!

It's a term of endearment in that part of the world. If you're from Manchester, they call you much worse.... :o
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".