Author Topic: Wherein Limr and 02Pilot go to NYC  (Read 5611 times)

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
Wherein Limr and 02Pilot go to NYC
« on: March 10, 2016, 05:18:53 PM »
Yeah, I know, we live close enough that this shouldn't even qualify as an excursion worthy of note, but we hadn't been down there in ages, and we took photos, so I'm starting a photo essay thread dammit.

This happened a few weeks ago. It was a fairly last-minute thing, and we both needed to get away from reality for a little while, part of which meant we really didn't want to have any fixed plans, so we didn't reach out to the local crew (sorry, guys). From our base in Midtown, we decided to head south, wander across the Williamsburg Bridge into Hipster Central, then make our way back across the East River on the ferry when we'd hit our artisanal irony limit. My hipster camouflage consisted of two screwmount Leicas, with 28, 35, and 50mm lenses, loaded with HP5+.

I know it doesn't look like February in New York, but it was - global warming or El NiƱo or something. All I know is that I didn't have to bundle up like a polar explorer, for which I was very thankful.

More to follow.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

gsgary

• Self-Coat
Re: Wherein Limr and 02Pilot go to NYC
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 05:33:02 PM »
Love them all especially first shot

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 05:43:45 PM »
Love the pigeons shot.

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 08:43:24 PM »
A very nice set. I particularly like the first two.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 09:59:23 PM »
Also love that fist shot with the Chrysler tower.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 01:09:15 AM »
Thanks, guys - I appreciate it.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 03:22:52 AM »
Somehow #3 caught my eye. Nice job on all of them though. I have only been to NY once really and didn't have time to get out and do anything. It's on the list for sure.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 04:02:35 PM »
I didn't do it on purpose at first, but halfway through my editing, I realized I was naming all my photos starting with a "b." Of course, the pictures were taken in Brooklyn, so it seemed only right to continue the pattern :)

rBridge by limrodrigues, on Flickr

rBolts by limrodrigues, on Flickr

Incidentally, this kid was posing for his father, who was taking his picture with a Land Camera 250. These were the scary strangers that I approached because apparently my love of Polaroid is stronger than my fear of talking to strangers :D

rBeach view by limrodrigues, on Flickr

rBars by limrodrigues, on Flickr

Mmmm, beer...
(In this, you can see part of my own Hipster disguise - the fingerless gloves.)

Beer selfie by limrodrigues, on Flickr
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 04:04:45 PM by limr »
Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2016, 11:20:52 PM »
I hadn't seen Limr's photos before she posted them, but I was rather taken with the second one, what with my love of things mechanical and all.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2016, 08:32:50 AM »
Some superb shots in these sets. I really like 02Pilot's first and last and Limr's bolts and selfie. That selfie really makes you work - way better than the "me standing in front of [insert name of instantly recognisable monument]".
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2016, 01:33:20 PM »
Thanks for the comments. Here's the second half of mine, from Brooklyn and Grand Central.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 12:41:38 AM »
Alas, I have no more :( I had shot a roll through the Contaflex, but there is a problem and the roll was totally useless. And the roll that was in the K1000 was already half finished when we got to Brooklyn, so I'm glad I even had 5 decent shots to post! :)

(And thanks for the kind words, Paul :) )
Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 09:05:28 PM »
Thanks for the comments. Here's the second half of mine, from Brooklyn and Grand Central.

Very nice, in shot 1 you could have got him to hide behind the dog for an Elliott Erwitt  shot

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2016, 12:25:12 AM »
Very nice, in shot 1 you could have got him to hide behind the dog for an Elliott Erwitt  shot

Thanks. That Erwitt shot was very much in my mind when I framed that up, but I didn't coach him in any way (nor did I want to). I just asked if I could shoot the dogs and he called them up (he was sitting on the stoop with them inside the gate when we walked up). They just happened to settle in that pose.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-