Author Topic: Indofunk returns to Europe!  (Read 5491 times)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
Indofunk returns to Europe!
« on: February 01, 2016, 06:01:00 PM »
This time on a much longer and more widespread tour! Don't we have a member in southern Spain? I know we have people in Germany, and also in Scandinavia, but apparently too far from my gig locations to see :( At any rate, would be great to meet up with fellow filmwasters! Probably won't have much time for filmwastering, but I should always have at least a couple of hours off between soundchecks and the actual gig (say, 6pm-9pm).

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
Re: Indofunk returns to Europe!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 06:03:57 PM »
Oh, I will however have a couple of days off in Glasgow at the beginning of the tour and Barcelona at the end of the tour (I've always wanted to visit Barcelona!!)

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 11:12:45 AM »
I'm in Munich, Satish! We should definitely meet up!

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 11:48:56 AM »
I had a listen to Jesse Malin's latest on Spotify last night.  Excellent - really liked it. 

I might be able to get to the London gig (depends on work commitments).  If I can get there, can you arrange a photo pass so I can take some shots without getting harrassed or my camera confiscated by the security guys?
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 01:41:07 PM »
I had a listen to Jesse Malin's latest on Spotify last night.  Excellent - really liked it. 

I might be able to get to the London gig (depends on work commitments).  If I can get there, can you arrange a photo pass so I can take some shots without getting harrassed or my camera confiscated by the security guys?

I'll see what I can do. I'm the lowest guy on the totem pole in this band, so I can't make any promises, but I'll try :D

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 07:26:51 PM »
Nice looking itinerary. Have fun. I assume you'll be packing light, so what are you going to bring camera-wise?

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 11:54:43 PM »
Ah yes, now the deep, important questions come out  :o Definitely bringing my XA because it's my pocket camera. Probably using it exclusively with Tri-X. I'm trying to decide if that should be my ONLY camera, though ... mostly as an exercise, but also to stay light ;) Last Eurotour I brought the Canonet as well, which is probably my second lightest camera. That will also allow me to load up some color. I would LOVE to bring my (your) Polaroid 100, but that's huge and so is its film :D

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 09:34:18 AM »
Shoulda included Cardiff ...  >:(

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 09:37:05 AM »
I'd love to see that Canonet. ;)

Gimenosaiz

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 03:11:17 PM »
Hello!
One filmwaster in Madrid ;-)

Regards

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 03:22:53 PM »
Would love to meet up with you Antonio! I was in Madrid for a day a few years ago and I LOVED it there :)

Maybe it's easier to make individual arrangements through email, so anyone who wishes to get in touch with me please email me at indofunksatish[at]gmail. I'm looking forward to this whirlwind tour! :D

Peter84

• Peel Apart
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 08:18:27 PM »
Hey Satish we met in spring 2014 in Rudy's dive bar in NY with hookstrapped when I was over there with a buddy. I saw you do gigs in Belgium on the 27th and in Amsterdam on the 28th. I live in the south of the Netherlands and work in Antwerp (Belgium) now, so if you'd like to meet up I can go either south or north....

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 09:48:47 PM »
Hi Peter! It would be great to see you again! I think it would be safer to say Amsterdam, because I have no idea where we'll be staying for the Belgium leg. I'm pushing to get to Brussels on the 26th and spend 2 days there, and even return to Brussels after the Middelkerke gig, but I'm not the one in charge, so we may be in the backwoods of Belgium (or England, or the Netherlands) most of the time. But if your schedule is flexible I can be in touch closer to the day, and if we'll be in Brussels for a couple of days that would be a great place to meet you. I'm especially looking forward to seeing the musical instrument museum again, if possible! Also, maybe return to the bar where I walked in and declared "I don't like Belgian beer!" ;D (the bartender changed my opinion completely within 1 hour)

Peter: email me so I can get in touch with you once I'm in Europe.

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 04:38:21 PM »
Don't know if I can make the gig but I'm in Leeds, and it's a great city if you have an hour to go wasting?

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2016, 09:01:55 PM »
Hi Kayos! If you send me an email I'll write you when I know what kind of schedule I'm looking at. How close are you to the club? Just because I figure I'll be spending most of my time around that general area.

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2016, 09:29:05 AM »
I'm about a 20 minute drive away so pretty close :)

I will email you when I'm on the PC later

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2016, 09:13:44 PM »
Strictly not my musical taste but I'm a south Londoner and a venture into the wild north for a couple of hours could be fun for a catch up.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2016, 10:11:39 PM »
London, predictably, will be a bit of a whirlwind as I know quite a few people there. I'll probably be meeting my cousin and one or more of her kids for a meal in the general Camden area. I'm also trying to meet a photographer friend of mine (well, a friend of Peter's who then became a friend of mine) who shoots a lot of film in rather unusual ways, so she'll be a good one to meet. I might just announce the place where my cousin & I will be meeting and basically throw everyone else together there for a hodgepodge of family, filmwasters, and sundries :)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2016, 01:42:41 AM »
After a LOT of mulling (and a lot of keeping my fridge open for many minutes at a time staring at film), I've decided what to bring to Europe.

1. I will bring 2 cameras. The XA, loaded mostly with Tri-X, and the Canonet, loaded mostly with various color film (see #4).

2. It looks like I'll be spending a good 2-2.5 weeks in the frozen north (Scotland, England, Scandinavia), so I'll need pretty fast film up there. Then 1-1.5 weeks south of the Swiss-Italian border, so I can probably get away with slower film there, but I think no less than 50ASA.

3. Based on my last Eurotour, looks like I shot 7 rolls of film in my XA and 4 rolls of film in my Canonet. That was a 2/2.5-week tour, this is a 4-week tour. Double everything.

4. THEREFORE. One brick of Tri-X. Should roughly last the whole trip in my XA. Then, the following for the Canonet:
1x Fuji 500T @800 (the last of my coveted stash from jharr) - to be used in Scotland
1x Agfa Vista 400 (the last of my coveted stash from Volker) - to be used in Scotland/England
1x Ferrania 200 - to be used in England/Scandinavia
1x Elitechrome 400 (@200) - to be used in Scandinavia
1x Elitechrome 100 (@50) - to be used in Germany
2x Ektachrome 100HC (@50) - to be used in Italy and Spain

Let's see how this goes :D The basic plan is to use the 500T in Scotland and the 100HC in Spain, everything else will be modified to fit ;)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 01:46:49 AM by Indofunk »

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2016, 02:30:47 PM »
Day 1: a slight technical problem with jharr's 500T. Luckily I have the XA (with Tri-X) as a backup, but pity because today is a rare sunny day in Glasgow, would have been nice to have some colour. Back at the hotel, I open the Canonet under the covers and find that I ripped the sprocket holes in the 500T, so I attempt to manually advance it. I think the fact that the Canonet has a very short throw means that the film advance is very fast, and therefore puts a lot of torque on the film, leaving it prone to ripping. I'll try to remember to advance it slowly, at least for the duration of this roll :-\

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2016, 04:24:57 PM »
RATS!!
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2016, 09:07:46 PM »
So I met up with Indofunk in the great city of Leeds, due to some work and delays we ended up meeting later than planned, I did get to see the band sound check which was a bit different for me. Didn't actually shoot that much, alltho I know he took one of me (I also know it was planned ;) ) but we did have a great time walking round and talking. Nice to know we have other shared interests and its always great to meet fellow wasters.
I hope you have a good gig, we may get chance to have another swift half someday :)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2016, 09:58:13 PM »
I just realized I shot that pic a stop too fast :-\ Again with my not checking the settings before firing :) Must have been the swift half ;)

Great hanging out with you Kayos! Looking forward to meeting more Filmwasters on this tour! ;D

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2016, 09:10:39 PM »
I am back home! This was possibly my favourite tour to date, definitely in part due to the wonderful Filmwasters I met en route. Sorry I couldn't meet up with Urban or Antonio, but I am going to assume that this band will return to Europe and we can seal those respective deals :) Speaking of deals, thanks to those who sent me film c/o my friend in Stockholm, all films arrived back home safely. And speaking of films, this tour I was taking a lot of flights (I think about 9 or 10 total) and therefore my poor films were subjected to 9 or 10 X-ray screenings. It wasn't until Stockholm that I figured out that I could leave the films on the tour bus whilst I flew, so actually the films were subject to about 6 or 7 screenings, and then one more if they happened to be in the camera that I was carrying through the airport. At any rate, I've developed all my B&W and they seem fine, if underexposed by a stop or two (I think the battery on my XA is getting low). I suppose I'll start a photo essay thread on it, but with well over 100 shots marked as keepers (and I haven't even got to my 3 rolls of color), I've got a lot of editing to do.

In the meantime, here's a picture of Peter S getting some exercise on the beach in Middelkerke, Belgium.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2016, 09:15:09 PM »
Welcome back Satish. I'm looking forward to that essay.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2016, 09:35:28 PM »
So, is it good to be back home?
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2016, 09:43:39 PM »
Welcome back Satish, can't wait to see your photos!

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2016, 10:20:16 PM »
(and I haven't even got to my 3 rolls of color)

AAARRGGGGHHHHH ..... so of course, the one time I forget to do a leader test, my color dev fails on me  :'( :'( :'( I might as well have not brought my Canonet on tour at all  >:(

Oh well. Less scanning and processing to do, at least  :-\

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2016, 10:46:23 PM »
(and I haven't even got to my 3 rolls of color)

AAARRGGGGHHHHH ..... so of course, the one time I forget to do a leader test, my color dev fails on me  :'( :'( :'( I might as well have not brought my Canonet on tour at all  >:(

Oh well. Less scanning and processing to do, at least  :-\

Well, that sucks. At least you've got the B&W to fall back on (not that it's going to make you feel any better about losing the color right now).

Oh, and welcome back.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2016, 03:29:22 AM »
Sorry about the color :( But welcome back! That first teaser shot is Awe.Some. and I can't wait to see more!
Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2016, 12:57:43 PM »
Well, that sucked....
I feel your pain on those color rolls...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2016, 01:01:31 PM »
Well, there were only 3 of them :D At least my 8+ BW rolls came out fine! I also figured out that all I really need on a trip is a good compact 35mm camera (witness to the fact that I only shot 3 rolls on my oh-so-big-and-inconvenient Canonet ;D ), which the XA fits the bill 90% to my liking (things I don't like: the 35mm lens & that the shutter button is going a bit wonky). I'm going to test out a friend's Rollei 35 to see if that tickles my fancy more.

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2016, 06:42:59 PM »
Well, there were only 3 of them :D At least my 8+ BW rolls came out fine! I also figured out that all I really need on a trip is a good compact 35mm camera (witness to the fact that I only shot 3 rolls on my oh-so-big-and-inconvenient Canonet ;D ), which the XA fits the bill 90% to my liking (things I don't like: the 35mm lens & that the shutter button is going a bit wonky). I'm going to test out a friend's Rollei 35 to see if that tickles my fancy more.

The Rollei 35 will certainly fit the bill size-wise, it's just getting used to estimating distance that I have a problem with. It is stealthy though.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2016, 06:47:40 PM »

The Rollei 35 will certainly fit the bill size-wise, it's just getting used to estimating distance that I have a problem with. It is stealthy though.

I strictly zone focus with my XA, because the rangefinder patch is completely invisible. But the XA's distance chart is in feet, not in "silly looking icons" :P

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2016, 09:17:37 PM »
Hope you have some nice shots in there :)

I have to confess the camera I took on our meet is still in the car! Work went somewhat busy, starting the very next day