Author Topic: Bonding with / not bonding with cameras  (Read 16590 times)

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
Bonding with / not bonding with cameras
« on: January 28, 2016, 01:34:25 PM »
I use the term "bonding" in regard to a camera where there is a lot of affection for it based on the pleasure of using it and the results produced. I've tried a number of cameras that I thought going in I would love but ended up simply not bonding with, and then others that I was a bit surprised how close we became  :-*

Thought of starting a thread for people to list their respective Bonded with / Not bonded with cameras.  For me...

Bonded with
Minolta TC-1
Rollei 35S
Mamiya 6
Chamonix 45-N2
Leica M2
Diana
Gakkenflex

Not bonded with
Ricoh GR1
Canonet
Olympus XA
Holga
Robot

« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 08:09:52 PM by hookstrapped »

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
Re: Bonding with / not bonding with cameras
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 01:51:16 PM »
Bonded
Holga
Mamiya 6
Mamiya Universal Press (though it took me several years to bond with it)
Crown Graphic
Nikon FE
Recesky TLR
Kiev 60

Not Bonded
Hasselblad 503CX
Leica iiia
Harman Titan pinhole
Holga pinhole
Vivitar UWS
Nikon F3
Nikon FM2

I have a load of toy cameras (Dianas and the like) that make an occasional outing but don't move me much either way.

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 02:34:14 PM »
Bonded
Leica M4-2
Leica M4p 70 year anniversary
Mamiya C330
Would love to bond with a Mamiya 7 maybe soon

Not bonded with
Canon Eos5  sold
Nikormat FTN

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 02:45:54 PM »
Not bonded
Most things d*g*t*l  :o
Leica M6
Omega Rapid
Zorki 10

Bonded
Leica R8
500c/m
All my Polaroids
Petri Racer

TBA
Old, nameless plate camera (yet to be used, but it's a real looker)
Ondu 5x4 pinhole (yet to arrive)
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 02:57:57 PM »
Bonded
Leica IIIc & IIIg
Canon L1 & P
Rollei 35
Rolleiflex Old Standard
Voigtländer Perkeo II

Not Bonded
Olympus XA4 Macro
Olympus PEN D3
Olympus 35SP
Canon Canonet QL19
Holga 135 Pan
Yashica GSN

Of the "Not Bonded" list, the latter three have been sold and the first three are currently for sale.

What's interesting to me as I think about this is that it's much easier to associate the reasons for not bonding with a camera than it is to identify why I've bonded with the ones I have. Of those that haven't worked for me, it's mostly about the lack of control (XA4 and GSN, both of which mandate partially or fully automatic exposure), the ergonomics (35SP and QL19 - on RFs, I've figured out that I like the speeds on the top plate, not the shutter barrel), or something about the format (PEN D3 and 135 Pan - I've moved away from half-frame, and I never came to terms with the 35mm pano).

But for the cameras I have bonded with, it's more than just those easily nailed down factors. Getting good results is obviously important, but there's something intangible that makes them work particularly well for me. I don't know what it is, and I'm not entirely certain that I care.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 03:00:14 PM »

But for the cameras I have bonded with, it's more than just those easily nailed down factors. Getting good results is obviously important, but there's something intangible that makes them work particularly well for me. I don't know what it is, and I'm not entirely certain that I care.

Love is a mystery...

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 03:08:53 PM »
Bonded with:
Canon EF
Leica M4-2
Rolleiflex 2.8
Fuji GA645Wi
Pentacon P6
ONDU 6x6
Polaroid LC 250

Not bonded with:
Mamiya M645 1000s
Kiev 6C
Yashica A
Foth Derby
Exa I v.6

On and off affair with:
Kowa Super 66 (mostly due to technical issues)

Jury is out:
Pentax SP1000
Pentax SV
Voigtländer CL
Royal 35M
Kiev 1c
Kodak Box Brownie No.2 model D
Ikonta 523/16
Welta Weltix
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 03:11:34 PM by Ezzie »
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 03:12:33 PM »
Bonded with an Olympus Pen VF camera when I used super glue to stick back some loose covering.

OK sorry, could not resist the urge for a bad pun. But seriously, I really do like my Pen viewfinder cameras, but only the full manual models, not the EE series. In fact I seem to favor several Olympus cameras;
OM-1
Pen F
35RC
Pen
Pen S f3.5
Pen D

Not bonded;
Leica M4-2 (Always thought I wanted a Leica M.....until I got one. For a camera that size and weight I'd rather stick to a SLR, thus I came right back to my OM-1)

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 03:36:00 PM »
In fact I seem to favor several Olympus cameras

I can't help but notice that your roster doesn't include an XA4 Macro, a 35 SP, or a PEN D3, which just happen to be the cameras I'm selling...I think I may be able to help you fill those glaringly obvious gaps in your collection...  ;)
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 03:54:59 PM »
Bonded:
These that I've bonded with seemed to 'click' with me immediately. I just liked the process of using them right away. Some I liked using before I ever saw an image out of them. The BHF has such a satisfying "snap-click" that I sometimes push the button just to hear it.
Nikkormat FTn (the camera I learned with)
Voigtlander Bessa 6x9 (my first MF love)
Yashica Mat 124G
Kodak Instamatic 500  :o
Graflex Speed Graphic
Kodak Brownie 2a
Brownie Hawkeye Flash
Agfa Isolette III

Not Bonded:
These I have simply not warmed up to the process or the controls. The Holga was my first MF camera, but I quickly moved on to the Voigtlander (above) and have probably only put one roll through it since.
Titan pinhole
Nikon N2020
Chinon CP5
Holga
Polaroid 600 Whale

Still Courting:
Polaroid Land 250
Kodak Instamatic 304
Fed-3 (I've used this a lot, but I'm not sure whether I like it or not)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 03:58:15 PM by jharr »
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 04:51:29 PM »
Bonded:
Mamiya 645 system
Rolleiflex 4x4 baby
Rolleiflex 2.8c (but it's getting rocky)
Contax 139
Contax RXII
A couple of unmentionables  :-[

Didn't bond with:
Rangefinders (though the CLE was cute)
Anything bigger than 6x6 (tried 6x7, 6x9, 6x12, 4x5)
Lo-fi
Half frame
Pinholes
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 06:57:17 PM »
Bonded
Yashica D
Crown Graphic
Zero Image 4x5 Pinhole
Olympus 35
Petri Racer (yes, really)
Konica Autoreflex T models (T, T3)
All of my Polaroid Land Cameras but especially the 450, 340s, 440s and most of all the 100s.
Sprocket Rocket (The only Lomography camera I've used that I've liked)

Not Bonded
Kiev 88 (nyet)
Lomo Instant
Koni-Omega Rapid M(as much as I love the instant attention getting machine gun cocking ratcheting sound when you advance a frame)
Rollei 35 (I will probably try again to bond, but at the moment...)

Currently Trying To Bond With
 Bronica SQ

Peter84

• Peel Apart
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 07:20:17 PM »
Bonded
Canon AE-1
Canon EOS 33
Holga 120WPC
Holga 120N
Olympus XA
Olympus XA2

Not bonded
Several Diana's
Diana Mini
SX-70
Zenit B
Holga with pola back

And then there is the Long distance relationship I have with:
Olympus trip 35
Pentax 67
Rollei 35S

Now the last category camera's I tend to take with me but do not use for some reason, maybe I should commit more to them and use them more exclusive if I go somewhere

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 09:08:05 PM »
Bonded
Nikon F90x
Yashica-mat
Fuji Instax 100
Sprocket Rocket (especially since I made a panoramic film holder for my enlarger)
Fed 5B with Industar-61

Not bonded
Canon Rebel
anything Minolta AF
Point & shoots

hated more than having my wisdom teeth pulled out
a ZLR... I think it was made by Minolta or Olympus. But that doesn't matter, it's an absolute pain to use and goes through CRP2 batteries like cookie monster goes through treats. Just abominable. I'd have to look through my boxes to find it.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 09:13:57 PM »
Bonded
Harman Titan 4x5 Pinhole
Zero Image 4x5 Pinhole
Chamonix 45F1
Graflex Speed Graphic
Mamiya RZ67
Zeiss Ikon ZM

Not Bonded
Hasselblad 500c
Linhof Technika V
Leica CLE
Zero Image 6x9 Multiformat Pinhole
4x5 Polaroid Holders - on any Camera
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 09:18:23 PM by ManuelL »

David A-W

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2016, 11:38:09 PM »
A real mix from previous posters, here's mine:

Bonded
Leica M3
Hasselblad 500c/m
Nikon FE
Rolleiflex 3.5f
Harman Titan pinhole

Not bonded
Zeiss Ikon ZM
Hasselblad Xpan
Leica MP
Nikon F

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2016, 08:56:12 AM »
By way of some context, for the past few years, I've been on a sort of journey of discovery.  That sounds a bit grand but it really isn't.  When I was a young man, I could never afford the kit I wanted and had to make do with what I could afford.  Now that the price of film gear has dropped and my salary's gone up a bit, I've been buying and trading the things that, previously, I could only dream about owning.  I'm also getting older and much less inclined to lug huge bags full of heavy kit around.

From mid 2015, I've gradually reduced the volume of kit I have and will continue to do so this year. 

Bonded with:

- Hasselblad 500c/m and 503cx
- Leica M6 and M7
- Canon F1-NAE
- Nikon F100
- Rolleiflex T

Not Bonded:

- Mamiya 7
- Hasselblad X-Pan
- Big/heavy Nikon AF Pro bodies

I also have a dinky little Tutone with which I'm sure I will bond and that will be my incursion into 5x4.  Finally, I recently acquired a Holga.  I've had one in the past and hated everything about it.  However, I think my expectations were wrong / too high and I'm actually starting to quite like it.....
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2016, 09:41:08 AM »
Late: I'm on a similar 'journey' - but from a different direction.

Starting out late, my first camera was a new Leica M6, after borrowing the girlfriend's starter EOS for a few holidays. Couldn't get on with the M6, so I swapped it for the then just launched Leica R8 and 2 zooms. Perfect. But my latest purchase was a £10 Mamiya 135 and all recent buys have been sub-£50 FleaBay bargains. Like many, I thought the M6 & R8 would make me a better snapper and automatically produce better snaps. They of course, didn't. But what they did do was teach me to 'see' and I'm enjoying seeing things through everyday carry cameras which cost the same as a bottle of wine or two.

The big guns are now only used for my figurative stuff. But even that choice has an interesting spin. Produce a £10 machine in front of a model and they scream and think I'm some sort of geriatric voyeur. Get the Blad or the R8 out and they positively coo when you tell them they take film. They automatically think that I must be better than a DSLR snapper, because there is no digital safety net. So if they think I'm automatically better because I use film, why can't they extend that belief to the fact that many FW's can take good pictures with cheap cameras. Any idiot can press the button on a couple of grand's worth of DSLR, but being able to take an impressive picture on a £10 camera surely means that the user has developed their skills.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2016, 11:30:41 AM »
It's an interesting point you make about whether "better" cameras make you a "better" photographer. 

I don't believe they do - but they can provide more technical and creative flexibility (if circumstances require).  That said, I must admit that, having spent a number of years using cameras that, for whatever reason, I didn't particularly like, I feel a lot happier using the cameras I've "bonded" with. 

It's not all about expense, either.  The Hassy 500c/m didn't cost a great deal - even with the lens and a decent A12 back - but I just love the way it handles, the reliability and the noise it makes.  Nigel mentioned that he had a "moment" when he first picked up his Hasselblad.  I've known other photographers who've fallen in love, instantly, with other cameras.  Charles Binns is a strong advocate of Holgas and, despite the fact that I owned one years ago (hated it with a passion abd gave it away) he's persuaded me to give one another go.

Incidentally, I can see your point about the choice of camera when photographing models. The last thing you want is a model who switches off when confronted with what they regard as inferior kit.  Which suggests that many (most?) non-photographers (and maybe quite a few photographers) really do believe that better kit makes for a better photographer.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2016, 12:29:59 PM »
Bonded:
Mamiya C3
Rolleiflex TLR (various)
Hasselblad 500 C/M
Leica M2 (gone now)
Pentax (various slrs)
Isolette (various)
Home made view cameras
Most things with a leaf shutter

Not Bonded:
Other brand TLRs
Not much else

Models usually smile when I get out my kit.

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2016, 12:33:03 PM »
A real mix from previous posters, here's mine:

Bonded
Leica M3
Hasselblad 500c/m
Nikon FE
Rolleiflex 3.5f
Harman Titan pinhole

Not bonded
Zeiss Ikon ZM
Hasselblad Xpan
Leica MP
Nikon F
How come you bonded with the M3 and not the MP  ?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2016, 02:04:52 PM »
Bonded
Pentax K1000
Polaroid Land Camera 100
Mamiya 645
Mamiya C330
Lubitel 166B
Yashica D
Rollei 35S
Praktica FX 2

Almost bonded
Zorki 6 (Great camera - on this list only because I seem to respond more quickly to SLRs than rangefinders.)
ONDU pinhole
Holga
(Those last two feel like they can be great but there's just one piece of the puzzle missing and I haven't found it yet.)

Not Bonded
Olympus 35RS
Minolta Maxxum 7000
Fujifilm Instax 210 (it's fun but I find myself not using it that often.)
A few random point and shoots or oddballs that have ended up on my shelf

Not sure, probably should use it more often to find out
Olympus OM-2
Minolta SR-1
(Both great cameras, but when I reach for an SLR, I default to Pentax and probably don't give these two enough of a chance.)

It could be argued that the K1000 tops my list simply because it was my first love and I've had it the longest, but it's also true that in the 20+ years I've had her, I've never NOT been excited about shooting with her. I've taken her everywhere with me and she's never ever disappointed. We clicked immediately. I enjoy shooting the Spotmatic and my second K1000 just as much, but am not as emotionally attached only because they haven't been with me for nearly as long.

The Mamiya 645 is an interesting case. I got that camera in 2005 from some students who worked at Mamiya. When I got it, I had no idea what it was or what it could do. I shot some rolls and never really "got" the format. Years later when I got my Lubitel, I finally wrapped my head around medium-format shooting and to this day, I still respond more to waist-level finders for medium format (thus placing all my TLRs on the "Bonded" list.) I revisited the 645 and started bonding a bit more, even though I prefer 6x6 to the 6x4.5 format. But then I got the WLF at Christmas, and  finally it all fell into place for me and the 645. I'm a lot more exited about it now than I ever was before and I think it will show in the pictures.

The Polaroid - if the film were cheaper, I'd be using it all the time. Oh, how I love!! The Pola and the K1000 are coming with me to the grave :)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 02:09:16 PM by limr »
Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2016, 08:29:49 PM »
How about a slightly different spin on this: cameras I totally expected to love, but didn't; and cameras I expected to be blase about, but they came through like gangbusters.

Polaroids are in both categories: I bought an SX70 expecting it to remind me of the good old days when I was in middle school and my dad worked for Polaroid, but the design and the fact that the (IP) film costs a million bucks per shot really turned me off. Even when my Dad gave me his old SLR680, I was already done with the ridiculous IP film prices. Then Adam gave me an old Automatic 100, and I absolutely LOVE that thing. The fact that the Fuji film is cheaper, better, and more amenable to being f**ked around with also helps :)

I suppose the Ciroflex TLR would have to be in the "expected to love but didn't", only because I haven't used it in a while. I did love it when I was using it regularly, but now that I haven't shot it in a while, I look over at it and say "sorry, not today. I know, AGAIN." I just need to start shooting it more.

And in the "love to hate" category: my SRT101 has a very specific use that I can't use any other camera for: low light gig photography. The 50mm 1.8 lens is perfect for this, and the fact that it meters up to 1600 is extremely convenient (no need for an external meter). So I use it a lot, but always with a slight bit of annoyance. Not that any other camera would really be any better...

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2016, 08:41:26 PM »
How about a slightly different spin on this: cameras I totally expected to love, but didn't; and cameras I expected to be blase about, but they came through like gangbusters.

::) :-X

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2016, 09:11:50 PM »
There's always those.
The Sprocket Rocket falls exactly in that category. At first, I found it incredibly hard to frame and annoying to carry. But my new hand made half case really removed the transportation barrier and I now find it a joy to use.
Francois

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2016, 09:14:51 PM »
For few years now I have been ¨looking¨ for the perfect camera, just to realize that it does not exist. I have come to acknowledge that I have to adapt to the camera and accept its limitations. I am recently shooting with 35mm camera, and even do no not like much the format I am hooked to the camera size and portability.

Bonded with:
Polaroid 195
Pentax 67
Rolleiflex 2.8e
Canon A1
Contax G1

Not bonded:
Canon F1n
Rolleiflex 2.8gx
Polaroid 110
Minox 35gt

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2016, 09:41:40 PM »
I cannot say that I'm joined at the hip with any camera in the sense that I'm lost without them. It's more like "fun to use" and "not so fun to use". And some cameras just falls naturally into your hand and you know instinctively how to handle them.

Fun to use:
Polaroid SX-70
My modified Polaroid 101
Fuji GA645W
Yashica Mat 124
Pentacon Six TL
Contax G2
Zeiss Ikon ZM
Contax RX
Nikon F3
Nikkormat Ftn (my first camera)

Not so fun:
Polaroid Spectra
Konica Autoreflex T3
FED 5B
Nikonos IV-A
Contax 167MT

And then there are all the ones in between which see less use, but that I like to keep anyway. Because in the end I just love cameras! :P
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2016, 10:18:34 PM »
Cameras have such an emotional hold on me. If I don't bond then I just can't bring myself to use the thing.

BONDED
Holga 120
Leica M6
Nikon F3
Lubitel 166 universal
Olympus XA2

I WISH I COULD BOND WITH
Hasselblad CXi

NOT BONDED
Yashica TLRs
Holga 135
Any point and shoot
Travelwide

« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 08:34:28 PM by Nigel »
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

macfred

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2016, 11:10:58 PM »
...  It's more like "fun to use" and "not so fun to use". And some cameras just falls naturally into your hand and you know instinctively how to handle them.

+1 ! I agree with Kai-san - here's my listing :

Fun to use :

- Zeiss Ikon Nettar w/ Novar Anastigmat 6.3 (the first love is the deepest ...)
- FUJI GA645 (my first FUJI 120 - I don't like it - I love it !)
- FUJI GA645Wi (+ GA645 = great tools for travelling and hiking !)
- FUJI GW670iii (relatively new - I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship ... )
- Konica Hexar AF (bought my first one in 1994 while travelling South of France - lost it in 2003 - bought another one ...)
- Konica III / Hexanon 48mm f/2 (my 'everyday carry')

I wish I could bond with the Voigtländer Bessa T / Heliar 101 set, I'm going to buy pretty soon ...

Not so much fun :

- Bronica ETRSi (currently for sale)
- Nikon F4 ( - '' -)
- Olympus XA (mixed emotions ...)

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
    • Andrej Kutarna Photography
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2016, 07:39:11 AM »
Bonded:
Sinar Norma
tachihara triple ext. 8x10
Rolleicord

Promising looking bond
Hasselblad 500
Toyo half plate
Ikoflex

Still-not-sure
Fuji GSW

Not bonded
Mamiya 645
Zeiss ikon folder
35mm format...

Website of sorts, as well as ipernity thing.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2016, 03:34:55 PM »
Bonded:
Sinar Norma
tachihara triple ext. 8x10
Rolleicord

Promising looking bond
Hasselblad 500
Toyo half plate
Ikoflex

Still-not-sure
Fuji GSW

Not bonded
Mamiya 645
Zeiss ikon folder
35mm format...

Man, writing off a whole format...  :'(

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2016, 04:15:45 PM »
That's just because he hasn't tried either a Robo, an Xpan or a half frame ;)
Francois

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
    • Andrej Kutarna Photography
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2016, 05:17:42 PM »

What's a "Robo"?
Anyway.. If someone is willing to give me an xpan to cure me from my unbonded status with 35mm format, I am all for it!
Website of sorts, as well as ipernity thing.

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2016, 07:17:07 PM »
I've always felt most bonded with my Nikon FM. Still using the same one I bought in 1978. I do love my Hasselblads, and love using them, but cannot say I'm fully bonded to them in the same way. The FM is just an extension of me. From time to time I get others cameras, but I keep going back to my FM. Maybe it's a first love thing.

As for not bonded, it's the Holga. I've tried to love it, but we've just never hit it off.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2016, 09:02:21 PM »

What's a "Robo"?
Anyway.. If someone is willing to give me an xpan to cure me from my unbonded status with 35mm format, I am all for it!
Robot... sorry, looks like my keyboard was missing a T.
These were spring wound cameras made in Germany that took square pictures on 35mm film. A full 50 images per roll of 36.
I know Zeiss-Ikon also did one (the Tenax), also the Certo, and a bunch of others too.
Francois

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2016, 09:43:59 PM »
I'm begging you, please stop talking about square format 35mm cameras. I'm just starting to successfully thin my accumulation of cameras (somewhere between a collection and a pile), and the renewed temptation of a Robot or a Tenax might be too much to bear. I can't go off the wagon this soon.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2016, 09:49:04 PM »
I can help you, just begin another share the love for all your unloved kit ;)
Francois

Rafael Morales

• Peel Apart
  • Ralph (loves film.) :D
    • My Posterous Blog.
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2016, 10:38:18 PM »
I guess my list would be like this.
Bonded
Nikon N6006 one of the first cameras I bought new and I still use.
Lomo LCA I love those things!
Pentax SP500 one of the best flea market finds (for me of course)
Kodak Pony 135 model C It is my little pony. Great sunny 16 shooter.
Sprocket Rocket  I will keep shooting it even though I will not scan them until I figure out how to get the holes in the pic.
Nikon FM2 with the 50mm f1.4 that came with it.

Not bonded
Ricoh KR5 super II (if i remember correctly)
Holgas with glass or plastic. meh
Kiev 35a nothing to say
Lubitel 166u maybe if i knew what i know now
Ricohflex Model III (i think) maybe if i would have use it more. And, the lens not lock up like the Lubitel.

That would be my list with a Kiev 88 camera listed as "on the fence". Those are the ones I can think of at the moment. :D

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2016, 12:43:20 PM »
This is interesting to see what people do and don't like  :)

Much of mine I think comes down to film type as much as anything...

Bonded
anything and everything polaroid
holga
speed graphic
bronica s2

not bonded
ANY TLR - I CANNOT frame a shot using them for the life of me, literally takes me 30 seconds to frame something still!
dont shoot much 35mm so therefore don't bond with the cameras, it takes me forever to finish a roll!
lomo fisheye 2 - the novelty wore off very quickly

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2016, 01:08:23 PM »
I'm begging you, please stop talking about square format 35mm cameras. I'm just starting to successfully thin my accumulation of cameras (somewhere between a collection and a pile), and the renewed temptation of a Robot or a Tenax might be too much to bear. I can't go off the wagon this soon.

I have a Robot somewhere in my camera cabinet. I can bring it out next time we meet up if you'd like

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2016, 01:18:16 PM »
Robo was one of the many drummers to have provided the back beat for the US punk band, Black Flag over the years. I was actually quite disappointed to find that Francois had made a typo and that the guy didn't have a camera named after him. That would have been awesome.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2016, 02:03:18 PM »

I have a Robot somewhere in my camera cabinet. I can bring it out next time we meet up if you'd like

So...much...temptation...must...resist...

Oh, hell, bring it. What's the worst that could happen? (looks for space on shelf)

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2016, 02:36:07 PM »
Robo was one of the many drummers to have provided the back beat for the US punk band, Black Flag over the years. I was actually quite disappointed to find that Francois had made a typo and that the guy didn't have a camera named after him. That would have been awesome.
Boy was that a long time ago!
I can't remember if if he played on their live 10 1/2 album?
Francois

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2016, 02:46:07 PM »
cameras, cameras, cameras!
So many to play with out there  :P

In love with:
Speed Graphic 4x5
Leica M4 / MP
Rolleiflex 2.8F
Ricoh GR1v
Polaroid Land 190 / 250
Widelux F7

Love to use:
Fuji GW690
Fuji GA645(zi)
Bronica 645RF
Zeiss Super Ikonta 534
Mamiya 7II
Olympus Mju II
wista 45 sp
Leica M2 / M3 / M6 / M7
Hexar RF
Hexar AF
Zeiss Ikon ZM
Contax T2/T3 / G1/G2 / RTS
Nikon F5 / F100 / FE2 / l35 aw af
Hasselblad X-Pan
Hasselblad SWC
Mamiya 6
Holga 120

Not sure about but can´t get rid of:
Sprocket rocket
Pentax ME
Agat 18k
Ensign Ful-Vue
Nikonos V
Leica CM
Pentax 67
Lomo L-CA

Not for me:
Nikon 28Ti/35Ti
Wista 45DX
Shen-Hao HZX
Olympus OM 1/2/4
Contax TVS
Fuji GF670
Hasselblad 500 series
Mamiya RB67
Leica M5 / CL

Just don´t ask me which one if it had to be only one...

Prosopopoeia, with a camera

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2016, 08:10:34 PM »

He played with The Misfits as well. Now I really wonder why there isn't a camera named for him. The Lomo Robo has quite a ring to it, don't you think?

johan_lindgren

« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2016, 12:08:42 AM »
Bond:
Nikon FA
Nikon FE
Bronica S
Bronica EC-TL
Mamiya 645 (as long as they have a wlf)
Sprocket Rocket
Agfa Record I
Zeiss Ikon Nettar
Holga 120cfn/gcfn
Holga wpc120
Nikon F5
Yashica-Mat
Lubitel
Recesky TLR
Pentax Q7 (digi..)
LC-A

Trying to bond:
Toyo 45AII
Lumiere Scoutbox camera
M42-stuff

Dont care about:
Nikon F90
Nikon D600

Not bond:
Polaroid 600se
Nikon F2as
Zeiss ikon super ikonta IV
Diana
Minolta 5000 AF
Any other rangefinder
Any other polaroid

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2016, 10:35:31 AM »
Bonded With:
Edixa Prismaflex (I've enjoyed all the Edixa Reflex cameras so far, but this one most)
K.W. Pilot 6
Zorki 4
Exakta VX500
Exa (original)

Not bonded:
Zorki 6
Fed 4,5,5b
Leica IIIf
Pentax (all I've tried so far)
Halina 35x
Yashica A
Rolleicord (want to give more of a chance)
Exa 1b, II, etc.

indifferent:
Fed 3
Super Ricohflex
Ciro 35
Zodiac (diana clone)
Miranda D, DR, F etc.
Smena
Argus C3

The edixa surpised me. I didn't think I would appreciate it. They're supposed to be bad cameras, and I have had a few come to me that I cannot get to work, but most seem to just need a little cleaning and a few minuscule drops of oil to come back to life.

Terry

« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2016, 10:24:24 PM »
Bonded with:
Yashica 44 (x5)
Gundlach Korona 5x7 (I love shooting with this)
Bronicas (SQ-A and ETRSi)
Exakta VX

Not bonded (though I tried):
Ikoflex (lovely camera, just didn't speak to me)
Balda
Nikkormat
Zorki
Polaroids (I really wanted to love them but I don't)

Mab

« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2016, 02:51:45 PM »
Bonded with:

-# Nikon F100. I keep on dreaming of a F6.
-# all Nikon FM/FE type cameras I've ever used.
-# Rollei 35.

- My most expensive camera ever was a Leica M4-P with Summilux 50mm/1.4 lens. Sadly, we never became friends.
- I've never found a 120 format camera I could use permanently.
- I once bought a 4x5 camera on a whim and hated it almost instantaneously.

clagom

• Designer / illustrator / Photographer
    • claudiogomboli.com
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2016, 12:43:52 PM »
[including just film cameras]

Bonded with
- Leica M6
- Leica Minilux
- Ricoh GR1v
- Yashica T3 Super
- Lubitel 2
- Polaroid Spectra

I enjoy for short use
- Nikon L35AF2
- Yashica T4 was great until it broke
- Konica A4 was good until it broke
- Olympus XA2
- Lomo Belair / instant back (missed opportunity)

Not bonded with
- Yashica Electro 35 (nice results and lens, but not bonded with the camera)
- Olympus Mju II, still use it because of portability and great results, but not a fan of the camera itself
- Leica Mini III
- Canon Sure Shot Z135
- Olympus Mju II Zoom 80