Author Topic: Brick Lane  (Read 2705 times)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Brick Lane
« on: December 23, 2015, 04:49:21 PM »
For those unfamiliar, Brick Lane is in the Whitechapel (E1) district of London.  Whitechapel sits adjacent to what is referred to "The City" of London (the "square mile" financial services district) and is an easy 10 minute walk from Liverpool Street station.  Whitechapel, generally, and the area to the east of Commercial Street, is in the process of "gentrification" as it has been regarded variously (dependent on taste and sensibilities) as anything from quaint / multi-cultural to a right dump. For history buffs, it's the area in which the infamous Jack the Ripper did most of his killing in 1888.

Brick Lane comes alive in the evenings and at the weekends as there are many Indian and Bangladeshi restaurants, supermarkets and clothing outlets.  Walking down Brick Lane can feel a bit like running the gauntlet as the restaurants have staff out on the streets vying for your custom and trying to entice you into their eatery.  To be fair, I've always found these guys to be polite and accept a simple "no thanks". They can provide an opportunity as some great deals can be negotiated - particularly if there's 4 or more of you wanting to find somewhere to eat.  Don't be afraid to haggle....

Other than the Asian food and culture, there's also a great "Flea Market" near the old Truman's Brewery.  This is where you'll find the "Film's Not Dead" market stall.  (Check dates though as I think they're only there first and last weekends of the month).  There's also "Rough Trade" a CD and Vinyl shop that has loads of stuff from the popular to things I guarantee you'll never have heard of.

Anyway, here's a handful of shots I took with my Olympus OM2n / Tri-X - just before I traded it.  Hope they give you a feel for the area.  It's well worth a visit and a lot more interesting, IMO, than traipsing, zombie-style, down Oxford Street / Regent street in the West End looking for post-Christmas bargains
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: Brick Lane
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 04:50:33 PM »
....and the remainder

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 01:07:09 AM »
I haven't been to Brick Lane since the late 90's (though I do remember once many years after that passing by it in a mad rush to get somewhere or another). The first few shots do look reminiscent of it, though the last shot for sure seems a lot different than what I remember. I shall have to remember to go back next time I'm in London! And while I'm at it, hit the other (formerly?) Asian neighborhoods of Ealing Road and Southall!

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 06:57:23 AM »
I haven't been to Brick Lane since the late 90's (though I do remember once many years after that passing by it in a mad rush to get somewhere or another). The first few shots do look reminiscent of it, though the last shot for sure seems a lot different than what I remember. I shall have to remember to go back next time I'm in London! And while I'm at it, hit the other (formerly?) Asian neighborhoods of Ealing Road and Southall!

Satish, the last shot is probably the most typical of Brick Lane around midday on a dry Sunday, these days  It gets mobbed.  Lots of interesting and (relatively) cheap street food + stalls selling all sorts of new and second-hand stuff to trendy young things.  Southall's 11 miles the other side of London from where I live and Brick Lane's 50 miles by train from my home.  I don't think I've ever been there but may give it a whirl one day....

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 07:14:49 AM »
A nice set Paul.  I used to frequent the eateries of Brick Lane on quite a regular basis when in my twenties and still take advantage of the discounts on offer from time to time.

It is a brash, colourful place at night -it reminds me more of somewhere like Bangkok than London.

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2015, 02:25:43 PM »
A lovely set of pics Paul.
I haven't been up to Brick Lane for a couple of years now it was full of hipsters and tourists last time I was there and I wouldn't have thought it changed much but the graffiti was wonderful and the food excellent.

Ricardo Miranda

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 01:32:29 AM »
Hi Paul!

A very nice set.
It seems you were there on a Sunday.
You might have passed through me as I'm there every Sunday afternoon.

Here is a self-portrait in the nearby Broadway Market:
Selfie with mirror 2 by Ricardo Miranda, on Flickr

Happy New Year!

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 10:52:56 AM »
Conveys a sense of place really well. Intrigues and invites...

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 05:24:27 PM »
A few more from the area (Shoreditch / Spitalfields) around Brick Lane.  These were taken a bit later than the previous - Leica M7, 28mm f2.8 Elmarit-M and 50mm f2.0 Summicron.  Kodak Tri-X (slight sepia tone via Lightroom CC):

« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 05:28:12 PM by Late Developer »