Author Topic: Kickstarter 4x5 dev tank  (Read 4294 times)

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

JoeV

Re: Kickstarter 4x5 dev tank
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 12:52:34 PM »
There's a lengthy thread on this at APUG.

What hasn't been adequately answered to my satisfaction is the evenness of development, because of the thin plastic film holders and the way that the agitated chemicals, via the plunger, circulate in the tank.

As anyone knows who's developed LF film, it's all too easy to get uneven development, like when using too small of a tray, or a Yankee tank with inadequate agitation.

Hopefully they can post their test results early enough so potential backers can make a decision.

~Joe

Terry

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 01:00:12 PM »
I'm a complete convert to the Unicolor tank (or Beseler for that matter).  For even development and cost-effectiveness it's almost unbeatable.  And if the motor base stops working, it's usually nothing more than a bad capacitor...

Blaxton

• Sheet Film
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 05:47:48 AM »
Not to distract from what is possibly a fine new product, but I have enjoyed excellent results with a MOD54 reel in a Patterson Tank.  It seems to give as consistent results as tray developing and the lights can stay on.  It is also very easy to load.

http://mod54.com/pages/technical
https://www.flickr.com/photos/willblax/

There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method. -- Herman Melville

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 06:39:02 AM »
Not to distract from what is possibly a fine new product, but I have enjoyed excellent results with a MOD54 reel in a Patterson Tank.  It seems to give as consistent results as tray developing and the lights can stay on.  It is also very easy to load.

http://mod54.com/pages/technical

Totally agree. 

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 07:03:20 AM »
All power to them, but I will stick with my modified Cibachrome print tank roller at 250ml for four sheets.

The insert grips were culled from the clip edges of electrical ducting and glued in place against one of the vertical ribs on each side.

Wayne

• 35mm
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2015, 03:48:45 PM »
That's what I use for C-41 (I use trays for B&W). But it sure would be nice to be able to develop more than 4 at a time without going to a solution-guzzling tank like Yankee or Combi or Patterson that take a liter or more (or a Jobo I can't afford), and to be able to submerge it in a tempering bath. This unit could fit the bill if they made it in a 6 sheet capacity (at least)

I'm a complete convert to the Unicolor tank (or Beseler for that matter).  For even development and cost-effectiveness it's almost unbeatable.  And if the motor base stops working, it's usually nothing more than a bad capacitor...

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2015, 08:34:25 PM »
I looked long and hard at the kickstarter and surprisingly, if the exchange rate wasn't so bad, I'd probably invest in it just for the low chemistry usage.
And besides, just imagine doing color 4x5...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2015, 10:10:30 PM »
I looked long and hard at the kickstarter and surprisingly, if the exchange rate wasn't so bad, I'd probably invest in it just for the low chemistry usage.
And besides, just imagine doing color 4x5...
Since the C-41 chemistry is reusable (for considerably longer than the manufacturer would have us think), dumping a liter into a Patterson tank with a Mod45 in it is plenty economical, and you can get 6 sheets done at once.

I have used the Mod45 with a small amount of chemistry (200ml) and just agitated constantly for b/w. It works.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Wayne

• 35mm
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2015, 03:36:54 AM »
 I'm quite wary of reusing C-41 chemicals and not inclined to try it. The only time I've ever tried reuse of color chems is in printing, where the cost of error is smaller and correctable. With Cibachrome it wasn't worth it because I could tell the difference when I partially used it and I'd have to waste time and expensive paper finding the new filtration. It worked for other people who didn't see a difference when they did it.

If I were to process using a Mod45, for example, only the first 6 sheets would get fresh chemicals and everything after that would get progressively less fresh. Just seems like too much of a gamble with negatives. That's one thing I love about using my UNicolor drum, ever neg gets fresh solution.

Since the C-41 chemistry is reusable (for considerably longer than the manufacturer would have us think), dumping a liter into a Patterson tank with a Mod45 in it is plenty economical, and you can get 6 sheets done at once.

I have used the Mod45 with a small amount of chemistry (200ml) and just agitated constantly for b/w. It works.