Author Topic: Dahn Rockland  (Read 2533 times)

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
Dahn Rockland
« on: November 20, 2015, 07:26:38 AM »
Hi,

beginning of October my wife and I went to a region in south Germany called Dahn Rockland (Dahner Felsenland) over the weekend. The area around the village of Dahn has some interesting sand stone formations. In the US such formations are very common, but in Germany they are quite rare. The region also has a lot of castles, some of them using the sand stone pillars as towers. On the first day the weather was beautiful and the whole region was teeming with hikers. I was planning scout some locations and to come back with the 4x5 camera on the morning of the next day, but unfortunately the next morning it was raining. Still, I got some 35mm shots out of it I quite like and will most probably go back there next year to take some more shots.

Camera: Zeiss Ikon ZM; Film: Kodak Ektar 100. The Ektar 100 works quite well with the orange rocks and green leafs, but sometimes the contrast was exeeding the range of the film a bit.

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
Re: Dahn Rockland
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 07:30:38 AM »
While we were there, we were following one of the hiking trails, which was passing most of the rocks. The region is also quite popular with climbers. You can also walk out onto some of the rocks. Me, being a bit afraid of hights, I stayed well away from the unguarded cliffs and only went on those with stairs and railings.

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 10:39:50 PM »
Hi Manuel, the Palatinate Forest is a beautiful region, I discovered it only last year. Nevertheless I find it difficult to make pictures that don't look always like postcards. Maybe we could make a photowalk next year together. F.i. the Altschlossfelsen are rather fabulous.

macfred

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 10:25:20 AM »
Nice series - looks like a beautiful place to visit.
Reminds me to a place near to my home, called Bruchhauser Steine (High Sauerland Districkt/North Rhine-Westphalia)
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruchhauser_Steine
--
When I take photographs while travelling, my photographs often look like postcards - I like it. What's wrong about this ?

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 04:11:19 PM »
Thanks a lot for the kind comments! Might be nice to meet for a photo walk next year when there are again some leafs on the trees.  :)

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 06:26:44 PM »
Very nice looks like a lovely area, I bet the Huber brothers have climbed around there
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 05:58:13 PM by gsgary »

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 08:44:11 AM »
Lovely set.  Looks like a great place for a wander. 

Interested in your comment on the level of contrast produced by the Ektar as I have found it the same.  The irony is that you need good light for it (100 ISO) but, w3hen it's sunny, the shadows can be very deep indeed.  Could be made worse by modern, contrasty, multi-coated lenses, I suppose.  I've got to the point where I use Portra 400 (sometimes 160) as I find the colours more neutral and contrast more to my liking.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".