Author Topic: Manchester  (Read 2371 times)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Manchester
« on: November 08, 2015, 12:44:58 PM »
Although I live in Essex and work in the City of London, I am from Stockport and started my career in Manchester, 7 miles to the north of where I was born. As the company I work for has an office in Manchester, I get to travel back there occasionally and this is always something to which I look forward. I travel as light as possible as it's often there and back in a day or an overnight stay if I'm lucky. These photos were from an overnight stay.

Manchester was the world's first industrial city and is immensely proud of its heritage.

The camera I took was an Olympus Trip 35 that I rescued from a local RSPCA charity shop.  The meter still works, although I'm not convinced it's as accurate as it was back in the day. That said, the film was long expired Ilford XP2 Super which, as you can see, is pretty blotchy. These are the only useable negs. The film was processed commercially and I have no reason to suspect it was done incorrectly. I've tweaked in Lightroom CC and added a sepia tint.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 12:51:53 PM by Late Developer »
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: Manchester
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 12:46:17 PM »
Last remaining few....

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 03:38:07 PM »
The film choice has really given it a dark and gritty look befitting of what us southeners think Manchester looks like,  ;) all it's missing is the rain though?

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 05:49:52 PM »
I like 'em.  The film gives the images a very atmospheric feeling.  There are some very strong images in this essay.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 07:45:23 PM »
The film choice has really given it a dark and gritty look befitting of what us southeners think Manchester looks like,  ;) all it's missing is the rain though?

It's true; we'd been suffering drought conditions for at least a couple of hours!!  :o

Terry

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 01:51:49 AM »
This is brilliant!  I love the strong visual style--quite apart from the texture (which is also perfect).  Well done.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 12:47:50 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments, Terry.  Really glad you like them, though it's not a "look" that I could replicate easily.

Terry

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 06:15:18 PM »
I keep going back to the fourth one--the woman texting on the bench.  Her dress, style, attitude all remind me of a couple of Mancunian women I've known

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 07:05:45 AM »
A very strong series of shots! I really like the dark mood. The ones with the ferris wheel are my favourits.