Author Topic: Man Buys Large Format Camera, Takes Photos of Trees.  (Read 1700 times)

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
Man Buys Large Format Camera, Takes Photos of Trees.
« on: November 02, 2015, 08:49:57 PM »
I recently purchased a Crown Graphic from  Chalky on this site but had not had the chance to test it out until fairly recently.  My first attempts with the camera were let down by my inability to focus properly without a loupe, but having purchased one on Ebay, I took advantage of a free Saturday to head off to a nearby nature reserve to test the camera. 

The loupe made all the difference and I must say I am thoroughly enjoying large format photography.  The film used was Ilford FP4+ developed in Dixactol which seemed to give good results even though I have been less impressed when developing roll film.  All in all I'll probably stick to Rodinal in future.

Next step is to master the Zone System and the camera's movements.

You can see the full set here: http://charlesbinnslandscapephotography.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/danesmead-nature-reserve.html

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
Re: Man Buys Large Format Camera, Takes Photos of Trees.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 01:16:44 AM »
Nominated for funniest thread title of 2015 :D

Also, beautiful photos :)

Terry

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 10:16:49 PM »
I too am a fan of FP4, especially in LF.  Beautiful stuff!

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 10:37:42 PM »
Nice, there's nothing wrong with shooting trees I'm a sucker for a nice tree

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 11:42:13 PM »
Nice set Charles. Yes, LF lends itself to 'still' subjects, though I have been known to load up the flash unit and take some action shots when needed. I haven't tried FP4 sheet film. I usually stick to cheap-o x-ray film and cheap-o Rodinal. After seeing your results, I may have to invest though.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger