Author Topic: Shutters Up  (Read 2468 times)

irv_b

• Self-Coat
Shutters Up
« on: October 23, 2015, 07:51:52 PM »
I have noticed on my drive through intro London how the shop fronts in Brixton have their shutters artfully painted.
 I assume that the idea is two fold 1) as avertisement and 2) to stop the shutters being grafittised. I haven't noticed it in maby other areas of London and was wondering if it happens in other countries.
Bronica ETRSi & Kodak Ektar

irv_b

• Self-Coat
Re: Shutters Up
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 08:00:37 PM »
a few more. It is only the independent shops and I would say it would be about 50% of businesses have it (more thanI have pictured here ) done but it certainly gives a vibrant alive feeling to the area.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 08:02:18 AM »
that's a great idea! seems like the kids respect these hired jobs and leave them alone like you say :)
/jonas

Terry

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 01:40:50 PM »
I love the one on the bakery.  Must be a Brixton thing; I haven't noticed it anywhere this side of the pond.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 04:13:03 PM »
I love the one on the bakery.  Must be a Brixton thing; I haven't noticed it anywhere this side of the pond.

Except Brooklyn ;)

Yes, great idea, and I too love Brixton! One of the most colourful (literally and figuratively) neighbourhoods in London!

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 07:50:10 PM »
Very cool. I've seen this too in Grenoble, France where we lived for a while.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 01:42:48 PM »
I saw some in Albuquerque when we were driving Route 66 in 2013.  To be fair, most were murals but there was no sign of the sort of criminal damage (some refer to it as graffiti) I see all too often when walking round some parts of London.

Actually, come to think about it, there is a fair bit of this type of artwork around the Truman Brewery end of Brick Lane - but there's a lot of the other stuff as well  >:(
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 08:39:45 AM »
I've been into London once in the past twenty years so it was good to see these.  There's a good deal of shutter painting in Italy, these two from Bologna:

But a good number do get tagged on top.