Author Topic: My 127 spooling contraption  (Read 9068 times)

Terry

My 127 spooling contraption
« on: October 12, 2015, 10:09:25 PM »
Here's how I load 127 film.  Obviously, all this is done in total darkness.  I only load pre-cut 46mm film.  I got some Portra 160 from Ebay a few years ago, as well as some Agfa XPS.  I've also bought HP5 from Ilford during their ULF sale so I have a fairly good stock of color and b/w.

My contraption:

000 0064 par Terry B, on ipernity

I built it around the cranking device on the right.  It was part of a machine for easier loading of steel developing reels.  I modified it by making special hubs (from polystyrene) to mate with the 127 spools.  I had thought that the spring pressure (there's a spring on the crank shaft) would be enough to rotate the spool, but it wasn't: I had to insert a piece of tiny brass rod in one hub to catch the slot in the end of the spool and make it turn with the crank.  I also used camera tape to hold the plastic hubs on the metal cranking device--it worked better than contact cement!

In addition to the contraption I need a small pair of scissors and a matte knife as well as a roll of 3M 'freezer tape' which has the right adhesion properties.

000 0065 par Terry B, on ipernity

To begin, I align the backing paper with the spool at the 'stop' mark.  I usually use a tiny piece of masking tape stuck along the edge of the paper so that I can feel this point in the dark.  I remove the tape before I start inserting the film.  I feed the end of the film into the spool where the backing paper is being taken up until I feel it 'catch'.

000 0066 par Terry B, on ipernity

Then I start cranking, slowly and evenly winding the film and paper onto the spool, keeping steady tension on the paper as I do this.  The guide slot I made on the base (those two black strips) helps with alignment of the paper and film.

000 0067 par Terry B, on ipernity

I leave the old masking tape on the paper so I can find the 'start' point, where the film begins feeding into the exposure chamber of the camera, and where the tape holding the film to the paper will go.  I let the film overlap the old tape (so it won't snag as it winds in the camera) then I cut the end with my scissors and tape it down.

000 0068 par Terry B, on ipernity

I make sure the film and backing paper are aligned correctly in the guides on the base of the contraption and press the tape down very hard and uniformly, especially making sure that the ends are very tightly stuck down.

000 0069 par Terry B, on ipernity

Then I trim the sides with my matte knife, being careful to follow the guides closely.

000 0070 par Terry B, on ipernity

I roll up the rest of the backing paper, keeping tension on it.

000 0071 par Terry B, on ipernity

Done!  I finish with a bit of tape to keep the roll tightly closed.  Part of the object too is to keep the paper undamaged so I can re-use it.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 11:46:52 PM by Terry »

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: My 127 spooling contraption
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 10:56:27 PM »
Interesting...
I guess I'll have to ponder making something similar this winter...
I might modify it to use some slitted 120...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Terry

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 11:50:29 PM »
I never tried slitting 120 down to 46mm.  I guess you load it without a feed spool (?)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 02:51:28 PM »
The way my slitter works is that I use a razor blade to cut the film directly on the spool, that way it can all be done in daylight.

But now I have to figure out if the frame markings are properly spaced for 127 and invent a way to measure everything so that it fits on the spool.

I'm thinking about making a type of measuring board they I can use in the dark or something like that.
Francois

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 05:04:29 PM »
Thanks for that Terry. The guide slot is a good idea. I'll see what I can adapt.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Terry

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 01:46:26 AM »
Good luck Peter; I expect there are many ways to improve this system.

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 12:57:17 PM »
Nice contraption!

I have tried cutting down 120 to 127. And though this does work, it is a pain if you can't respool with original 127 backing paper. Only a few 127 cameras have auto film frame counting, and getting the 120 backing paper to line up with (for instance the 645) frame numbers is nigh on impossible. If I do get back into 127, it will be with an "auto" loading camera. The Yashica 44 LM for instance.
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 03:17:51 PM »
I was comparing paper backs last night and it's true that the numbers really don't match up.
I might make a set of jigs for easy measuring so I can re-label 120 paper.
Francois

Terry

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 09:45:14 PM »
I shoot with the Yashica 44 and 44LM, both of which have the auto frame count function.  I picked up a 44A but don't use it much because it requires you to line up frame numbers with a red window each time you advance.  And it makes a noise when you wind it.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 10:38:52 PM »
My 127 cameras are all super manual film advance so I got no choice when it comes to frame labeling.
Francois

Terry

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 01:38:32 PM »
I've been saving backing paper from 120 rolls against the day that I run out of 127 paper that's strong enough to re-use.  I thought I'd make a template the correct size and shape for a whole roll of 127; it's only a little over two feet long.  A roll of 120 is substantially longer than a roll of 127--you could slit a 120 roll down to the correct width, cut it off the 120 backing and re-roll it onto 127 paper like I'm doing and still have more than enough length to make a full roll of 127.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 01:44:44 PM by Terry »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 01:52:02 PM »
Good to know
Francois