Author Topic: Wherein I share a couple of "experiments" I've done lately  (Read 7253 times)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
Wherein I share a couple of "experiments" I've done lately
« on: October 10, 2015, 06:04:38 PM »
1. On a whim, I pushed some Kodak Gold 200 to 800. I developed it in Unicolor C41 at 100F for 5:30. The negs came out real light, but for some reason my scanner loved 'em, and they came out really well, considering. Next I shall try pushing 400ASA film to 1600 :)

2. Based on Reinhold's suggestion, I tried room temperature C41 development. My room was about 20C, so I left it in there for 26 minutes, with inversions every minute. Ended up coming out pretty well, if cool on the temperature scale. However the film was extremely curly (lengthwise, not widthwise as I usually get), so that was a little annoying. Also, the 26 minutes part was a little annoying, too  ;D So I think I'm back to 100F development, but thanks Reinhold for making me realize that temperature doesn't matter as long as you adjust the time correctly!

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Wherein I share a couple of "experiments" I've done lately
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 08:58:44 PM »
That pushed film is quite something.
I didn't think Gold 200 would handle it but apparently it did.
And shooting under stage lights is the best thing you could do. If there was a color cast, there's no way anybody could see it ;)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Terry

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 09:02:27 PM »
Really solid results Satish.  Those Unicolor kits can do a lot more than the makers claim!  I souped a roll of found Kodacolor II from (yet another) Yashica 44 I bought recently.  I wanted to ease off the temperature a bit so I tried 8 minutes at 90 degrees and it worked pretty well.  Like yours my negs were a bit thin but scanned well.

everydaylanre

• 35mm
    • Instagram
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 05:04:28 AM »
Sheesh!  Now way I would have stood there for 26 minutes inverting.  7.5 minutes is even too long fore me  8) which is why I thank you forever for putting me on to stand evelopment  ;D

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 05:22:35 AM »
I am amazed when someone makes Kodak gold look good under normal conditions. Nice pushing!

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 11:10:35 PM »
Next I shall try pushing 400ASA film to 1600 :)

So, apparently, expired Fuji Superia 400 does not take kindly to being pushed 2 stops  :(

As you can see, way too much noise in the shadows. Also, way too saturated reds, something that I normally only see in d*****l shots  :-\ However, based on my success with Gold 200, I actually went out and bought in-date ( :o :o :o ) color ( :o :o :o :o ) Gold 400 (aka Ultramax). I shall attempt to push this film 2 stops and see if the new Gold emulsion can stand up to what may or may not have been old Gold emulsion from my previous excursion :)

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 01:58:39 AM »

So, apparently, expired Fuji Superia 400 does not take kindly to being pushed 2 stops  :(

Just because it doesn't take kindly to it, doesn't make it bad! I think it's kind of a cool funky effect. Not something you want to do with every other roll, but for this subject (concert photos), I think it works. Maybe throw it in a coffee can and bury it in a swamp near the water treatment plant for a decade and see what you get! You could open an ebay store specializing in 'exotically stored' films!  :P Call it "Indofunky Films".
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 06:37:38 AM »

Just because it doesn't take kindly to it, doesn't make it bad! I think it's kind of a cool funky effect. Not something you want to do with every other roll, but for this subject (concert photos), I think it works. Maybe throw it in a coffee can and bury it in a swamp near the water treatment plant for a decade and see what you get! You could open an ebay store specializing in 'exotically stored' films!  :P Call it "Indofunky Films".

Now THAT's a great idea. I'm sure I could sell tens of films!! Perhaps even NOT for a loss!!  ;D

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 09:01:42 AM »
The 400/1600 pushed shots look like they could be inner sleeve photos for Sly and the Family Stone type albums.  I like 'em. Very "Indofunky"  ;D indeed......
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 02:54:12 PM »
Sly and the Family Gnawa! I like it! :D

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 03:41:36 PM »
However, based on my success with Gold 200, I actually went out and bought in-date ( :o :o :o ) color ( :o :o :o :o ) Gold 400 (aka Ultramax). I shall attempt to push this film 2 stops and see if the new Gold emulsion can stand up to what may or may not have been old Gold emulsion from my previous excursion :)

Aaaaand, we have a winner!! :D In-date Gold 400 pushed to 1600, dev'd in C41 for 5min. That's actually 30 seconds shorter than my last 2 pushes because I forgot to check my notes, but it ended up working perfectly fine, and I even had to tone down the highlights a little bit (which is saying a lot for me). But check out the end results! Pretty minimal processing in LR, basically a touch of blacks, a bit of highlight recovery and some contrast. Also pleasantly surprising was the fact that the negatives themselves were much thicker than my previous 3 attempts ... basically looked like my pushed/stand-developed Tri-X. All in all a very satisfying experience, A+++++, would recommend. :)

The first location was pretty brightly lit, I could've gotten away with shooting at 400, but the second venue definitely needed all 1600 ISOs. Lead singer was moving way too fast, even at f/1.8...
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 12:06:35 AM by Indofunk »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 02:17:09 PM »
Too bad cheap commercial labs don't offer push processing... The results are surprisingly good.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 09:46:20 PM »
CRC Vista does push, but at $9 a roll to begin with, plus whatever they charge to push, you might as well shoot d*****l if you want low light performance :P

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 09:53:41 PM »
CRC Vista does push, but at $9 a roll to begin with, plus whatever they charge to push, you might as well shoot d*****l if you want low light performance :P

MIGHT AS WELL SHOOT WHAT!!!!  That's a bit extreme Satish!

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2015, 10:57:21 PM »

MIGHT AS WELL SHOOT WHAT!!!!  That's a bit extreme Satish!

Sorry, I must have meant, "might as well shoot Portra400 @ 1600 and process normally"?