Author Topic: Michelstadt  (Read 1711 times)

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
Michelstadt
« on: October 01, 2015, 01:14:09 PM »
This week I visited Michelstadt, a small "big" city in the Odenwald region. "Michel" doesn`t derive from Michael but means "big" here. Michelstadt has one of the oldest preserved timber-framed gothic town-halls from the 15th century. Many tourists come to Michelstadt, all bring a camera of course, and I tried to make some more unusual pictures.

All pictures are taken with a  humble 35 mm toy cam, fixed plastic meniscus lens, drilled out aperture (f/5.6?), 1 shutter speed of maybe 1/100, handheld IR or red filter.

Lets start with the famous town hall, which sits on majestic wooden pillars:

Michelstadt 01
by Imagesfrugales, on Flickr

Michelstadt 03

A little detail before we go to the municipal garden right outside the town wall:

Michelstadt 02

Michelstadt 06

Michelstadt 05

"Elefants House" below the church:

Michelstadt 04

Exhausted from the hard work I enjoyed delicous italian style ice cream apart from the main tourist trails.

Michelstadt 09
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 01:17:54 PM by imagesfrugales »

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
Re: Michelstadt
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 04:58:17 PM »
Great shots Reinhold. The softness of the drilled aperture and the plastic meniscus give the place an idyllic quality that I am positive is missing in the millions of phone pics that have been taken there. Really well done. Thanks for sharing these.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 07:02:54 AM »
Great pictures! Really like the dreamy look!
The series made me smile as I have been to Michelstadt just a few weeks ago - didn't take any pictures though.

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 01:12:16 PM »
Dreamy pictures Reinhold.

Obviously German and Norwegian have a lot in common. In old Norse Mikla/mykla (from mikil, now often used as a boy's name: Mikkel) means big or large. Gard means town (nowadays "gård" and means farm or small village). A lot of places have been named Miklagard, the most prominent of them being Istanbul, then Bysantz, later Constantinopel. Norwegian vikings actually formed an elite guard in the city around the year 1000, most prominently Harald Hardråde who later went on to lose the battle of Stamford Bridge to Harold the I, who then lost to William the Conqueror.
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 11:23:13 PM »
Thank you for the gentle comments and encouragement James, Manuel and Eirik and for the additional linguistic insights.