Author Topic: Formula D Long Beach 2014  (Read 1330 times)

TheBirdmanJD

• 35mm
Formula D Long Beach 2014
« on: September 27, 2015, 02:49:54 AM »
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here. I found the community from one of Skorj's articles on the Japanese Nostalgic Car blog. I've been around since before digital, but only got serious about my photography once I had a DSLR. A couple years ago I decided to try my hand at film, and now I hardly ever want to shoot with the digital anymore.

These photos are from my second outing with my Kiev 88. My first outing was a test to see where the light leaks where (everywhere). So they weren't all that great. All of these were shot with Ilford FP4 and developed in full strength ID-11. I want to start experimenting more with the developing process, but for now I'm trying to keep it simple.

I love Formula D events because of the atmosphere. The pits are intermixed with the vendor booths, so you can be checking out a t-shirt, when suddenly the crowd of people parts to let a roaring 1,000hp drift car though.

This shot was very much a happy accident. Shooting with a 300mm from a couple rows away. I have a similar shot without the person strolling through my shot, and it just doesn't give the same voyeuristic feel.

I was a bit worried how I would do shooting B&W in the bright sunlight, but I was pleasantly surprised with how well the B&W film captures it.

Being able to get close to the cars in the pits truly is the best part of Formula D.

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
Re: Formula D Long Beach 2014
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 10:16:10 AM »
Fantastic shots

I particularly like the last one, machinery on film always looks good to me

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: Formula D Long Beach 2014
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 08:27:15 PM »
As Kayos said, fantastic set of shots.  Strangely, although someone's arse is obscuring most of the car, my favourite is the first shot.  That said, I could see these in a calendar or exhibited.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".