Author Topic: A camera that won't let you take cliché photos...  (Read 1521 times)

6cmsquare

A camera that won't let you take cliché photos...
« on: September 15, 2015, 06:02:40 AM »
“I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.”
-Hunter S. Thompson

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: A camera that won't let you take cliché photos...
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 12:12:32 PM »
No doubt it'll appeal to the digerati at some level.  Thankfully, it doesn't seem that they've brought out a module to bolt onto a film camera.  Anyway, what's wrong with shooting chiches?
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 02:06:27 PM »
What I'd really like to see is a camera that automatically puts black bands on people's eyes for trouble free street photography :o
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Terry

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 03:10:07 PM »
That could spell the end of photography!  Dashing the fondly-held beliefs of the general public that anything they do is original is also likely to make you many enemies: hence a business plan that's doomed.  I wouldn't invest in this.  Now how about a brain-implanted chip that gives TV personalities a sharp shock whenever they're about to spout a verbal cliche.  That would spell the end of television as we know it!

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 03:40:43 PM »
I loved the perplexed look on her face when there was no internet connection. It was like, "Well, now what am I supposed to do with this odd looking box in my hand?" If her camera isn't telling her it's okay to take a photo, she just wanders aimlessly until she gets the green light. This sort of restriction really has nothing to do with shooting cliche's. All I see it doing is preventing a good photographer from taking a good photo of something of which the digirati have clogged up the internet with bad vacation snaps.

This is why I take my '39 Bessa places like this. There have probably been thousands and thousands of photos taken at the Salk Institute, but not many like this one (I checked).

Salk 04 LInes by James Harr, on Flickr
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 06:36:13 PM »
Jharr - I'm with you all the way on this. I really like your photo - and it takes a FW to 'see' a different picture from all the usual stuff. It's not the places that are the cliche - it's the framing and the picture post card square-on view which is repeated a thousand times
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 10:52:01 PM »
The camera may know where you are, but unless it does image matching, it still doesn't know what you are (trying) to take a picture of. Stupid device, literally.
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 02:22:04 PM »
I do know one thing: stupidity sells  ::)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Terry

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 09:27:28 PM »
Nice one James.