Author Topic: I've started a youtube channel.  (Read 9629 times)

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
I've started a youtube channel.
« on: September 14, 2015, 01:41:38 AM »
Hey guys. So I started a youtube channel. I'm aiming to post more stuff more frequently. I'm hoping to get a lot more photowalk type stuff. I seem to like that type of content and if a really nice image is made it would be great to see how it was made.

I won't do too many camera reviews or anything like that. I don't have many cameras anymore so I really don't have much to review. I like what I shoot and don't have any desire to get new stuff usually.

I hope you subscribe and enjoy the content as it comes out.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz1O3uqJsqgiyMNxYwEewZA

JoeV

Re: I've started a youtube channel.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 03:25:56 AM »
I hope that last video (of shooting IP instant film) was intended to be humorous, because the slowed-down sound track was highly distracting, to the point of being unwatchable.

I've made a number of instructional videos on YouTube. You want to be as clear and precise as possible, and you have to respect your intended audience.

I look forward to your next effort.

~Joe

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 07:25:23 AM »
Yes, there's something wrong with the audio...

Ricardo Miranda

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 10:41:44 AM »
Hi

If you are going to do a video, why not do something that someone else hasn't done before?

BTW, I find it odd that some people do "videos" on You Tube about "film" using a crappy digital device.
Why not use one of the many thrown out VHS or Video8 camcorders, or even some actual film camera like a nice clockwork 8mm or a Super8?  :)
Now that is something different, isn't it?

The funny thing is that most of us, over 40 at least, have learned their film stuff by reading books, paying very close attention to manuals, reading magazines and actually just using their film cameras and related things.
But, the young ones need to see a "You Tube" "video" to learn something.
Many of the ones I've seen are as bad as the devices they were used to make them.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 01:45:43 PM »
Actually, Ricardo, although I can't fault your sentiment, when it comes to being shown and told how to do something with which I'm unfamiliar (or utterly clueless), I would always go for the best quality, sharpest YouTube / Vimeo option - every time; especially if I can put it on repeat until I've got the hang of whatever it is I'm trying to do.

If I want to photograph something, my usual preference is for film, however, if I want to learn something - and I don't have a user / instruction manual or a book that explains it in baby steps - I want to see someone doing it, in close up and, preferably, slow motion.

Yes, a good book or manual can be useful and instructional but why limit oneself when there's a whole heap of useful stuff (and a lot of best-avoided rubbish) on the 'web?  ::)
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 08:12:03 PM »
The voice definitely needs improving...
If you want it to remain anonymous in some way, you'd be better off using some other audio filters. A mechanize filter would be a better bet.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 10:14:34 AM »
dunno if you feel like redoing as you already put up three videos but auto captions might be an option. I read that you can edit the text for better accuracy too.

anyhow, if you're self concious about your voice -don't worry about it. seeing as how much different voices we hear on youtube and other palces all the time people are used to listening all kinds now. the main point is being easy to hear what is said and that was unfortunately a bit off here. I don't know your sound system but maybe you could test watching these on the phone to get an idea of what it might sound like.
/jonas

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 02:56:49 PM »
I won't be doing too much talking stuff anyways. Once I get going I'll basically just end up recording my shooting sessions on weekends or during special events.

I've gotten a lot of flack over the years for the treatment. Ive used it before in school projects and while the overall projects were graded highly, the internet's reception has always been very critical. Yet it still stays.

I will likely work it in to the channel intro when I get a chance to shoot one but the idea of the channel is that it will be mostly "street" (whatever they want to call it these days, we've been over this before). The concept of masking my voice is for me a way of making light and of the general public's attachment to their self image. They want to remain anonymous and invisible. I will also.

I find it interesting that you all feel that something is off, annoyance, or confusion. These are all the same feelings that I experience when I run into someone who's very defensive about having their picture taken. I never thought about it this way but with this result I have to say that the expected result is a success.

Maybe its stupid, maybe its too deep. Personally I like it. If not, thats fine too.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 09:02:01 PM »
It makes you sound either like a record on the wrong speed or a bit creepy...
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 09:06:42 PM »
I didn't realize it was intentional. If you know what you're doing, then go right on with it!

Ricardo Miranda

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 10:26:03 PM »
Actually, Ricardo, although I can't fault your sentiment, when it comes to being shown and told how to do something with which I'm unfamiliar (or utterly clueless), I would always go for the best quality, sharpest YouTube / Vimeo option - every time; especially if I can put it on repeat until I've got the hang of whatever it is I'm trying to do.

If I want to photograph something, my usual preference is for film, however, if I want to learn something - and I don't have a user / instruction manual or a book that explains it in baby steps - I want to see someone doing it, in close up and, preferably, slow motion.

Yes, a good book or manual can be useful and instructional but why limit oneself when there's a whole heap of useful stuff (and a lot of best-avoided rubbish) on the 'web?  ::)

Paul,
I do the same these days. I like to watch You Tube, but I cringe when I see mistakes that with a bit more research from the "tutor" would not happen.

I won't be doing too much talking stuff anyways. Once I get going I'll basically just end up recording my shooting sessions on weekends or during special events.

I've gotten a lot of flack over the years for the treatment. Ive used it before in school projects and while the overall projects were graded highly, the internet's reception has always been very critical. Yet it still stays.

I will likely work it in to the channel intro when I get a chance to shoot one but the idea of the channel is that it will be mostly "street" (whatever they want to call it these days, we've been over this before). The concept of masking my voice is for me a way of making light and of the general public's attachment to their self image. They want to remain anonymous and invisible. I will also.

I find it interesting that you all feel that something is off, annoyance, or confusion. These are all the same feelings that I experience when I run into someone who's very defensive about having their picture taken. I never thought about it this way but with this result I have to say that the expected result is a success.

Maybe its stupid, maybe its too deep. Personally I like it. If not, thats fine too.

Ah, ah! So, you are in it for the laugh! ;)

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 09:01:46 AM »
looking forward to the walks then :)
will they be pretty much like the one at the end of the polaroid video?
/jonas

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 04:14:06 PM »
I hope so. Much more shooting though. Less fiddling around with the bag and camera and stuff. I've just got 6 shots left on a roll of Tri-X that I have to get through before I can start on the next video.

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2016, 05:45:17 PM »
I'm bumping this up. Ive posted a new video this weekend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1KNM_Ho5pc

scapevision

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2016, 04:22:20 PM »
I own the rights to my likeness  >:(

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2016, 08:48:24 PM »
Then just come to Quebec, You'll like it here  ;D
Francois

scapevision

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2016, 09:23:33 PM »
Then just come to Quebec, You'll like it here  ;D

Good one.

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2016, 03:57:37 AM »

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2016, 08:57:29 AM »
cool seeing that scanner in action! you left a bit of just dead video on the end for a few minutes. a bit confusing but maybe that was intentional?
/jonas

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2016, 03:14:45 PM »
yeaaaaaaah I realized that after I posted, but then I ran out of time and care to fix it. Not sure why that happened though.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2016, 09:41:15 PM »
I don't know but you're not the only one. I know the Dnews channel had the same problem a while back...
I don't know if it's an Adobe Premiere/Sony Vega problem or a Youtube problem.

As for the noise problem you talk about, this is normal with all dedicated film scanners and it is not per say a true noise problem.
It has to do with the grain being totally random that the scanner tries to fit into a grid.
There possibly is some software that would fix this though.
Francois

rpmdrd

• rpmdrd
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2016, 01:36:23 AM »
subscribed.

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2016, 02:07:48 AM »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2016, 02:55:50 PM »
Just took time to watch it and it made me miss the beach...
Francois

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2016, 04:36:45 PM »
yeah! it was a rainy day and shooting downtown would have been not so fun so going to the beach and finishing off the pinhole was a good plan.

It would be cool to do a full pinhole video. It was a fun camera to shoot with. Only thing is I'm a little disappointed with the overall sharpness of the pinhole. I know Im not going to expect Leica quality out of the thing but seeing some 6x6 pinholes here there seems to be less sharpness coming from my pinhole.

I think next time I scan it I'll try with the 4000dpi setting. Perhaps I can pull more perceived sharpness from it with the higher DPI.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2016, 07:38:41 PM »
I doubt it would do much...
The thing in pinholes is that everything is a compromise. You can get extreme sharpness at the expense of insanely long exposures.
Also, out camera is only a 6x6. I know Becky, Diane and Joe Van Cleave all use paper in larger sizes.

It's funny in the video because we see you checking the weather and I remember checking that exact same storm.
We were supposed to get a deluge but in the end it wasn't so bad.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 07:46:32 PM by Francois »
Francois

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2016, 08:01:02 AM »
Hey, I really enjoyed this ep. nice setting for the weather, you got some nice ones with the p67 for sure. like the pair with umbrellas? timing with the lifted foot looks great. gives a good sense of movement. sometimes shots from the back can look like they're just standing, or I've gotten that atleast ;)

would've liked some more pinhole shots though, sharp or not, to get a feel for how wide that thing is.

good job getting your the shots from your friend in there too :)
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2016, 01:03:45 PM »
Shooting with other people must be nice. So far it's never happened to me... I guess we're very few photographers on the south shore.
Francois

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2016, 02:11:06 PM »
fun fact! its scapevision. He used to post but doesn't seem to post around anymore.

Usually end up shooting with people most times. Thing is you have to keep your groups to a minimum. Also having similar styles or shots in mind helps. I've shot with people who shoot completely different subject matter and while it's refreshing to see something different it can distract me from my style and consistency.

Another great thing about shooting with someone who is similar is that you can feed off of each other's confidence and for me that makes shooting strangers much less intimidating.

Also the pinhole I ended up with just a few shots left on that roll. I had some previously shot images that I wanted to see so I had to finish the roll.

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2017, 07:23:51 AM »

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2017, 10:30:30 AM »
https://youtu.be/ENdW1RzUmcg
cheers! was done looking at EduardoPavezGoye and searched for something else
/jonas

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2017, 01:46:07 PM »
I don't mind his videos. He does get some interesting shots and it's really nice to have someone follow you around rather than having to do the whole operation yourself. I'm considering getting a camera cam view just so you can see more of the subject as the shot is taken. Just worried about the camera changing the vibe of the subject.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2017, 09:41:09 AM »
hmm, might be good getting one of those. but yeah, I keep coming back to his videos :) glad that he got rolling on patreon too! some comic artists I'm following are using that so it's nice to see the use of it spreading
/jonas

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2017, 01:49:59 AM »
I might consider some type of mount in my next video. I hope to shoot it this weekend. "Shooting film in extreme low light" Get some delta 3200 at 12800  8)

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2017, 09:07:23 AM »
oh, I'd like that! my developer guy asked me to do something crazy with the roll of delta 3200 that I got in that emulsive secret santa thingy so I've been on the look out for inspiration :)
/jonas

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2017, 04:48:18 AM »
Finally got around to making an introduction to the channel. People thus far seem to hate my music choices. Can't say I'm really caring too much  :P

https://youtu.be/MhioLCn1AnA

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2018, 09:03:42 PM »
Finally got my ferrania video completed.

https://youtu.be/sB2XOGees9A

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2018, 05:07:26 AM »
Great video SLVR, I really like P30 It seems to do best exposed at 25 when I develop it in beer.  I think that’s about the same for caffenol. 

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2018, 03:17:36 PM »
Thanks Bryan

I haven't tried shooting it at any other speeds yet. Figured I would get box speed and the recommended dev times out of the way to start. Unlike the JCH 400 film which had some suspect dev times in their data sheets.

I have the one roll left and as mentioned, it would be great to shoot some portraits with the film. I think it would look really nice.

I'm also hoping to try to get a weekly or biweekly short rolls video done. It's doing to be a fair bit of work though. over a weekend I would have to shoot, develop, print, scan and edit a video. But I think it would really help in the growth of the channel. I think with an ornate knowledge of film and traditional photography techniques I could get some interesting and useful videos out there.

Jeff Warden

• Sheet Film
    • flickr
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2018, 06:04:13 PM »
Thanks for the video, it was very enjoyable!

My results were similar in that I also ended up printing with a 1.5 filter on RC MGIV paper. I found iso 25 and 50 both worked, but for me iso 50 made a better negative with Ilfosol3.

And I'm also hoping they make this film in 120 format. That would really be something.

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2018, 06:22:32 PM »
thanks for the video.
Very nice work and I really like that geodesic dome building one.
Hope to see more!

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2018, 06:48:15 PM »
It's actually an imax theatre!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinesphere

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2018, 09:09:01 PM »
Nicer than the Imax theaters we have here...

I'm pretty happy to see the film is actually good. I just hate it when you have to fight a roll of film to get a good print.
Francois

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2018, 08:37:05 PM »
Great video. Thanks for your comments on the P30. I also really like the shots that you took. Very inspiring. I'd love to do more street photography but the laws in Germany are on the one hand good for privacy but really make (legal) street photography hard to do (unless your shots are void of people).

Have you ever tried Adox Silvermax? If you like the Ferrania, you'll probably enjoy the Silvermax as well.

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2018, 08:50:56 PM »
Glad you liked it. Definitely not a very street video but maybe once the weather warms up things will get more interesting.

I haven't tried the silvermax. I haven't really messed too much with any imported films other than ilford stuff because its so readily available.

I like to shoot for consistency but its fun to play with something different every now and then. Also being that I'm printing more I get to see all of the qualities that people talk about certain films having. I kind of feel like with scanning and processing scanned files it's easy to edit out a lot of the characteristics of your films.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2018, 08:53:24 PM »
One thing I'm happy to see is that there are as many people out in TO as in MTL :)
Francois

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2018, 09:27:32 PM »
It's true. It was quite desolate. Lots of boring footage I had to comb through that's for sure.

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2018, 09:37:16 PM »
The Silvermax is quite an amazing film. It's said to have a latitude of 14 stops when developed with the right developer. I understand that it's probably hard to come by in Canada. I'm lucky enough to live in Germany where Adox's headquarters are and it's easy to buy it here (it costs a little less than 6 € per one 135 roll). It has, as the name suggests, a very high silver content. The tonality is great, though it's probably not as contrasty as the P30. It has a very linear tonality (I hope that this is the right term).

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2018, 09:49:54 PM »
We get what you mean...
It's a bit like the difference between T-Max and Neopan.
Francois

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2018, 04:01:32 AM »
I actually got an email back from Dave Bias. He's heading the operations at Ferrania after his mark he left on impossible.

He said that they are still working to come up with a good recommendation overall which developer they thinks works best with the P30. He mentioned the same as me in that its hard to retain the highlights without blocking the shadows too much. He did also mention that the best practices for rodinal is to stand develop. I assume this is obviously to flatten things out. I may give it a try on my next roll but who's got time for stand developing these days!?  :P