Author Topic: Your approach to photography  (Read 5478 times)

FrankB

Your approach to photography
« on: March 30, 2006, 01:21:11 PM »
When I go out with my camera, it's usually with a specific purpose in mind. I'll have one or more locations to visit, I may have previously recce'd the site(s), I'll have the kit that I think fits the occasion and one or more shots in mind that I want to achieve. I may have even thought about what chemistry I'll use to soup the film, what paper I'll be using to print it and what end result I want to end up with.

I may (and usually do) see and make other exposures along the way, but I rarely go "on the prowl" just to see what comes my way. As I result my shots tend to be quite formal, carefully composed, sharp from front to back (unless I'm after a specific effect) and, let's face it, not terribly spontaneous. The word 'boring' may feature from time to time!  :-\

How do you approach photography? Do you go out to a specific location in search of a specific look? When you are shooting, to what extent do you previsualise the end result? How often do you achieve the result you previsualise? How many of your best shots are 'happy accidents'?

Janet_P

• Peel Apart
    • Janet Penny Photography
Re: Your approach to photography
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 03:33:29 PM »
I am always energised by the collaborations various photo sites have. They give me the chance to think about a specific subject and try a out variety of shots but without anything too rigid in mind. Some of my best shots have come about due to collaborations and often as the last frame on the reel, just to finish the film.

Sometimes, though, I'll pass somewhere and make a mental note to come back and photograph it soon. This has been happening to me quite a lot recently and it's great because it allows me to go away and think about the best camera, film and approach to use. I might revisit a couple of times until I eventually get what I want.

Janet

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 04:46:26 PM »
As I result my shots tend to be quite formal, carefully composed, sharp from front to back (unless I'm after a specific effect) and, let's face it, not terribly spontaneous. The word 'boring' may feature from time to time!  :-\

Nothing boring about that Frank.  All of my Bronica camera shots are done in the same way.  But, when I use my 35mm or holga or Fujipet, I am much more spontaneous. that said, no matter where I go to take pictures (and I do tend to go to take pictures rather than take picutres whilst going somewhere, if that makes sense) I usually have a few ideas in mind to try out.  I usually deviate from that when I get there, as I tend to see more pictures than I bargained for.  I do try to previsualise the final print with all my shots, and often decision about  print size, paper type and toning are made as I click the shutter - more often than not, I stick to those too suprisingly enough.
L.

Susan B.

• Global Moderator
  • Sheet Film
    • susanburnstine.com
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 06:02:19 PM »

How do you approach photography? Do you go out to a specific location in search of a specific look? When you are shooting, to what extent do you previsualise the end result? How often do you achieve the result you previsualise? How many of your best shots are 'happy accidents'?

95% of the time, it's all about spontaneity for me.
I'm the worst at pre-prep.
My preference is to jump into whatever I see and click the shutter without much previous thought.
Sometimes it works--sometimes it doesn't.

If I have a theme in mind, I might have a general location, person or idea in my thoughts but I rarely map the shot out prior.
(with the exception of a paid job that demands a precise shot)

One of my instructors used to say that "happy accidents" occur after endless practice and the consistent ability to act on years of prep without thought the instant you see a shot. That's not to say a novice couldn't come up with a happy accident--he was just talking about the span of a a successful photographers career. Anyway, I've always liked that concept.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 06:06:42 PM by Susan B. »

lauraburlton

• Peel Apart
    • laura burlton photography
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 06:16:16 PM »
I do a bit of both. I almost always have a camera on hand so i do get a  few "happy accidents" and I set up shots as well. Not so much draw them out but on the set up ones I will have an idea of the mood i want. I will then gather props, camera, film, whatever I think will fit and I go with it from there. So they are set up, but yet spontaneous as i do not have an exact photo in mind generally. Even if I did I would deviate as something else might catch my fancy and turn out better in any case... At the moment I have been shooting self portraits. This is for the toy camera collab but I am actually having more luck with my non toys. Pretty much every toy roll has turned to crap, but we will see as I just did some today in the sun. I was trying to do multi exposures and all that stuff but It was not working for me. Had to go back to what I know :)

outofcontxt

• Peel Apart
  • More blur. Less filling.
    • Bill Vaccaro Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 08:09:16 PM »
Lately, I've been doing a little bit more planning since I'm working on some projects and series but, normally, Make sure I always have a camera on hand and let the muse take me, even if it's to scout out a particular location since you never know what you'll find, how the light will be, etc. Some of my personal favorites were happy accidents where just I happened to be at the right time and the right place. What I've been doing nowadays is picking a location where I've never gone before and seeing where it leads.
"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic hatreds."
  --- George Carlin

more crappiness at http://www.outofcontxt.com and http://billvaccaro.com

Dave_M

• drinking the fixer...
    • Offwhite
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 09:39:12 AM »
I'd like to think I was a pre-planned meticulous photographer but most of the work that I'm happy with is a result of happy accidents. Having a young family in the last 3 years means I've been increasingly relying on grab shots. If I do manage to get off on a specific shoot I invariably find I come home with a better unexpected shot. As an example I went to Glencoe last year to take a picture of Black Rock Cottage (I don't know why - it is over photographed and pops up 2 or 3 times in every salon I attend!). Very very early start! I got my shot and was disappointed:

http://tinyurl.com/n46ro

We then stopped off for a rest in between going to another famous well-photographed landmark (the Buachaille Etive Mor). I saw this and couldn't get the tripod up quick enough :D

http://tinyurl.com/e9eye

So it was a grab shot and the least planned. But (for me) it was worth the petrol money. And that is pretty much my approach to photography  :D

FrankB

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 11:20:59 AM »
We then stopped off for a rest in between going to another famous well-photographed landmark (the Buachaille Etive Mor). I saw this and couldn't get the tripod up quick enough :D

http://tinyurl.com/e9eye

Woh!  :o

Gulp. Erm, nice shot. Really nice shot. Really, really... etc.

katie

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 06:13:25 PM »
I'm also a bit half-and-half on this. The vast majority of my work at the moment is based on pinhole self-portraits, and all done in the same place. That's fairly carefully planned, with an idea of what I want to try or explore in that session, with whatever set up I need, and then I go with what happens based on each exposure. With the portraits, mostly the same, but it develops based on the subject: who they are and what they are bringing along in terms of mood, intention, and reaction.

The travel work is entirely different: i don't know what I'm going to see until I get there. The oddest, and most rewarding part of the pinhole-in-morocco expedition was a day spent doing street portraits where I gave myself strict rules (only one exposure of each person, no meter, just a chat and then a picture). But on the whole trip, even when I scouted around before setting up, I found that the "first thought" picture was usually the strongest of the set I made in any given place. Over-thinking killed a lot of shots.

And then I do a lot of drive-by shooting too, hanging out of the car window, and taking pictures of fields and trees and skies. But even that is a bit more planned than it seems: I know the route so well, and know pretty much every tree along it, so I'm trying to get particular shapes in particular places, and double them up with the next known landmark I've got tagged in my head. I think too much.