Author Topic: Low Mill, Keighley in West Yorkshire  (Read 1961 times)

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
Low Mill, Keighley in West Yorkshire
« on: August 23, 2015, 07:08:30 PM »
This is the oldest cotton mill in Yorkshire, only a small part of it "survives" today.

I particularly like the old sluice gate, very nice bit of engineering in its day

Full write up with history and all the pictures:

https://kayosphotography.wordpress.com/2015/08/23/low-mill-keighley/

All shot with a Canon EOS3, 28-135 with a Soviet Tair orange filter on Tri-X pushed to 800, dev'd in Hc-110. Some use flash and I have done minimal in post, mostly cropping and resizing

Low Mill Building-1 by Stuart Burrows, on Flickr

Low Mill Building-7 by Stuart Burrows, on Flickr

Low Mill Building-3 by Stuart Burrows, on Flickr

Low Mill Sluice-3 by Stuart Burrows, on Flickr

Low Mill Sluice-5 by Stuart Burrows, on Flickr

Low Mill Sluice-9 by Stuart Burrows, on Flickr

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: Low Mill, Keighley in West Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 04:39:12 PM »
Great set Kayos, I love exploring places like that but we don't have any structures anywhere near that old where I live.  They really need to preserve places like that.  Your blog linked above is definitely worth the look.

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 10:39:55 PM »
Many thanks Bryan.

Sadly a lot of these buildings are disappearing at an alarming rate, If I can get a few on film before they go forever I will feel like i've done a bit

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 03:52:39 PM »
Really nice set, Kayos.

A cotton mill in Yorkshire? Must have been a bit of a rarity in its day as most of the cotton production was on the other side of the Pennines.  West Yorkshire was mostly wool, worsted and wool carpets. 

I used to love going round the old mills in the days when they were still viable operations and the company I worked for used to provide insurance on the buildings and occupiers.  Fascinating places - quite edgy as well as injuries to employees was an ever-present hazard with the size and scale of the machinery.

I must do a bit of urban dereliction shooting soon....
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 04:40:23 PM »
Yes it really was a cotton mill, apparently the workers went to Derbyshire to be trained on the machines. Was converted to worsted around 1840

I do like a bit of urban decay, but I don't tend to venture inside when i'm alone tho.

If you are not averse to a bit of non film content this was a good place to shoot

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjHLejiC