Author Topic: Cap Griz nez (France)  (Read 3484 times)

Photo_Utopia

• Sheet Film
  • The artist also known as Mark Antony
    • Photo Utopia
Cap Griz nez (France)
« on: August 02, 2015, 02:44:51 PM »
These are from a recent trip to northern France, all of the images are from Cap Griz Nez south of Calais.
The literal translation is Cape Grey nose, the Cap is the closest point to the UK and on a clear day you can see Dover (I looked though my East German Zeiss Binos and can confirm). There is another Cap to the north that is white like the Dover cliffs --Cap Blanc Nez.
On the top of the hill there is a fort built by the English (Henry VIII) this was the last part of France to be occupied by England the fort later became German defences during WWII
The village has a small fishing industry with traditional boats which have to be towed by tractor to the sea and picked up on the shore--you can see two such boats being towed in the first image.

Cap7 by Photo Utopia, on Flickr
From the top of the cliff (careful dad you're very close to the edge) looking towards the Cap you can see eroded rocks making a swirl formation. n.b the two boats being towed to shore.

Cap Griz Nez by Photo Utopia, on Flickr
There were many different shapes and types of rock, sandstone and chalk mainly. Fossil hunters find many interesting things here.

cap6 by Photo Utopia, on Flickr
Looking away from the cap you can see the grey rocks that form those swirls and give the Cap its name.

Flobart tradional fishing vessel by Photo Utopia, on Flickr
A traditional French fishing boat unique to the area waiting for a tractor to take it to harbour.

Some of the round rocks were covered in weed, this kind of image is easy with a TLR used above the eye line pointing down at the feet.

cap2 by Photo Utopia, on Flickr
Many rock pools that my kids like to investigate, the Cap in in the background

cap3 by Photo Utopia, on Flickr
Another rock :)

Like a jelly shape?

Cap Griz nez by Photo Utopia, on Flickr
The village of Wissant in the background had a very sand beach.

Cap by Photo Utopia, on Flickr
Some of the rocks were quite linear.

All images of Cap Griz Nez were taken on a single roll of Ektar loaded in a Rolleiflex 3,5F

« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 06:36:23 AM by Photo_Utopia »
There's more to this photography thing than meets the eye.

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
Re: Cap Griz nez (France)
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 12:29:12 AM »
Funky rocks! Love the shot of the boat.
Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 07:42:16 PM »
Yep that boat shot is the oustanding one from a really good set. I'm surprised there isn't more comments the coluors really pop even tthough it looks like a flattish day.

Photo_Utopia

• Sheet Film
  • The artist also known as Mark Antony
    • Photo Utopia
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 07:05:08 AM »
Thank you. The day was dull to start with but got brighter I have an alternative shot (closer) of the boat I left out of the set.
I think Ektar allows you to record colour that has a little more saturation than normal films and that works well in dull situations, I had limited time so shot this roll off in less than half an hour.

The beach was a fantastic place with many different shapes and types of rock, possibly I'll go back and shoot it next year and the light will be better.
There's more to this photography thing than meets the eye.

macfred

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 08:51:13 AM »
Very impressive series - beautiful photographs. Great use of Ektar !
--
Personally, I have problems using Ektar on dull days - on bright days it works perfect for me.
I have to try it again.

I really love the one with the fishing vessel !!