Author Topic: Printing a camera  (Read 4635 times)

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
Printing a camera
« on: July 31, 2015, 05:57:53 AM »
I heard an interesting interview with Todd Schlemmer about printing cameras.

I've been ogling the design of the ALPA 12 FPS, dreaming of it with a film back, even though it would be stuck at 6x4.5 on a 6x6 spacing.

One of the interesting things ALPA notes is the use of their camera with wide Canon EOS-mount lenses, which seems like it wouldn't have the coverage area, but they do. This led me to wonder just how many lenses for 35mm cameras have either adequate coverage for 6x4.5 or have a pleasing vignetting at that size.

So, full-circle, Todd's printable pinhole cameras and his design process are interesting. I was wondering what it would take to print a medium-format camera with a focal plane shutter, even if you had to hand-roll a cloth shutter with a single shutter speed.

That led me to think about a "Halpa" -- something like the ALPA 12 FPS in plastic with a single shutter speed and a 2x3 Graflok back. It would be easy to source a compatible, used 6x4.5 or 6x6 back, and with an EOS mount any of the identified Canon lenses or an off-the-shelf adapter for a half-dozen other mount types could be used with the same body. Heck, you could even use the EOS-mount Holga lens if you wanted a really expensive Holga.

I'm hoping someone will chime in and either say I'm completely crazy or I'm not entirely crazy and here are three viable shutters you could probably poach cheaply from a dead camera. :)

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
Re: Printing a camera
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 06:31:15 AM »
Via Twitter, Todd told me about the OpenReflex camera and recalled that it used a bit of exposed film with a hole in it as the shutter curtain. Slick trick! (Thanks, Todd!)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 06:32:54 AM by Jack Johnson »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 09:12:23 PM »
I know I've been thinking of 3D printing some gear for quite some time now... maybe 5 years or so.
I have built things on Sketchup and validated the files using Netfabb... but still no easy way to get them built.

Thing is what I have made has a lot of (not so) small details and everywhere I went to to get the files printed they would charge me more than half the cost of a new printer for a simple print job!

So now, I'm thinking I will need to build my own if I want one, but that's a pretty daunting task considering how messy the garage workshop is... and it seems I will have no chance to get it clean since my dad actively refuses to do anything about it except turn it all into a big fight... frustrating.

But back to printers and cameras, one thing that isn't considered so far is CNC machining (subtractive building) and sheet building using laser or flowjet cutting of the parts...

So many build options, so little time...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 09:33:11 PM »
Fracois

I'm on a forum full of helpful people with all kinds of fun machines, if you like I can get some info/prices etc on having something printed/machined

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 11:01:19 PM »
Thanks, I might give it a go later this year depending on how the money flows.
Or I might just figure out a way to build one using what I've got lying around the house... I do have some nice steppers from a vintage 8 inch floppy drive, some track bearings from old drawers and a bunch of other junk...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

snpshts

• 35mm
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 12:13:19 PM »
This led me to wonder just how many lenses for 35mm cameras have either adequate coverage for 6x4.5 or have a pleasing vignetting at that size.

I think most T/S lenses (like the ones in the link) might be able to illuminate 6x4.5, as they require a larger image circle in order to enable the adjustments. However I don't own any of these so it's just a theory.