Author Topic: Old Japanese Jail  (Read 4834 times)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Old Japanese Jail
« on: June 28, 2015, 09:36:54 AM »
I spent some time on my day off a few weeks ago exploring and photographing the Old Japanese Jail in Garapan, Saipan, CNMI.  The jail was built in 1929 and was used up until the U.S. invasion on June 15, 1944.  It is rumored that Amelia Earhart and Fred Noonan were held here after they crash landed on a small island in the Pacific.  I don't think these rumors have much credibility.  Many people were starved, tortured and executed at this jail during the Japanese occupation.  Two American flyers that were captured were held here up until the invasion.  One of them was killed in his cell by friendly fire from an airplane and the other was executed as the Japanese fled into the jungle. 

All these photos were shot with my Olympus OM-1 using Kodak Ektar 100. 

This first one is the main cell block with a large flame tree.
Old Japanese Jail and Flame Tree by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Looking down the row of cells in the main cell block.
Old Japanese Jail Main Cell Block by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Old Japanese Jail Cell Bars by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

There is a lot of vegetation growing in the cells, some have large trees growing out of the floor.  This was interesting how the tree is growing on top of the wall and the roots frame the window.
Old Japanese Jail Cell Window by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: Old Japanese Jail
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 09:43:05 AM »
The jail sustained a lot of damage during the battle.  American soldiers probably used it for shelter during the battle when they carved their names on the walls. 

Window of the main cell block.
Old Japanese Jail Window by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Clean-out door behind a cell.
Old Japanese Jail Cleanout Door by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Old Japanese Jail Ruins by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 11:06:16 AM »
Brilliant essay. These are outstanding images of an impressive monument as a place to remember and a sign of hope.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 11:08:18 AM by imagesfrugales »

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 04:31:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing these Bryan. I find it amazing how nature can reclaim something horrible and bring beauty back to such a place.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 08:44:41 PM »
Thanks Reinhold and James.  It's amazing how fast the jungle consumes everything here.  We come back in less than a year to find the work we did before completely covered by vegetation.  That's usually the first thing we do when we get here, look for stuff we installed the last time.

6cmsquare

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 05:41:29 AM »
Wow -very striking images, on so many levels!  I'm a big fan of nature taking it's toll on man made structures, I love the shot of the roots growing around the window!
“I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.”
-Hunter S. Thompson

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 11:00:30 AM »
Wow -very striking images, on so many levels!  I'm a big fan of nature taking it's toll on man made structures, I love the shot of the roots growing around the window!

Thanks, I even surprised my self a bit with these photos. 

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 07:13:42 PM »
Stunning images Bryan! it really feels that you are in amongst it with these shots- so impressed and jealous  :)

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 07:32:42 PM »
What a great set of photos of what must have been an awful place to be imprisoned (not that I can imagine too many places that would be great to be imprisoned).

Sid Dongre

• 35mm
    • A/Chromaticity: Explorations in film & development; colour and B&W
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 09:34:11 PM »
I love those first two images. The colour, the decay and the nostalgia. Really awesome!

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 10:11:09 AM »
Thanks for the great comments Irv, Adam and Sid!

rpmdrd

• rpmdrd
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 02:47:29 AM »
what was the general feeling at the place? was it quiet, serene, creepy? because from the photos that is what I exactly knew feeling. Great set!

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2015, 09:11:17 AM »
Great set Bryan.

When I was a teenager and learning about WW2, my dad got me a book called "The Knights of Bushido" by Baron Russell of Liverpool.  The book is a recounting of Japanese war crimes as they swept through SE Asia and accounts of life in Japanese POW camps.  There were some photos in the book and the level and frequency of their barbarity was staggering - but they were only following the Samurai code, apparently. 

It's amazing to think that such places existed and your photos are a fantastic testament to those apalling crimes.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 10:04:58 AM »
Thanks Rpmdrd, besides hot and humid it is quiet and serene, I was the only person there.  There are a few houses nearby and the main cell block backs to a business.  It's located in Garapan which is the largest village on the island but it is definately off the beaten path.  It wasn't creepy until I crawled into a cell.  You have to climb down about a meter through a small door.  Most of the cells have a lot of vegetation in them and they are quite small. 

Thanks Late Developer, I know the Japanese did not treat the native Chomorro and Carolinians very well but other than the Jail I don't think they had POW camps here.  One of the reasons Guam and the CNMI are separate territories has to do with what happened during the Japanese occupation.  On Saipan the Japanese convinced the Chomorro to teach them their native language.  The Japanese then used that knowledge against the Chomorro on Guam.  After the war there was still animosity about that.  I don't think it's much of a problem any more. 

Things are about to get interesting here this weekend, there's a typhoon heading toward the islands.  Even if we don't have a direct hit there will be a lot of wind and rain.  We're starting to see the first bands of rain right now.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 11:51:36 AM by Bryan »

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2015, 03:25:51 AM »
Great stuff, the colors really render well. I took my Holga, and they did not come out as well. The drop from the corridor to the cell I think is because the wooden floors of the cells - usually at the same height of the corridor - have all rotted away. The cell at the end used to have the floor supports still there, and you could see how they were laid out.

There's so much stuff in the jungles of Guam and Saipan, and I've spent days exploring and trying to find hidden sites. UER.ca has most of the stuff we were able to find over the years in the database if you're looking for more war ruins to explore! Skj

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2015, 04:34:14 AM »
Thanks Skorj, I did look at that UER site when I was looking for sites there.  The wood floors explain a lot like the dirt floors, I didn't notice any signs of the wood.  I may have a chance to look at it again in a few weeks, It looks like I may be heading back to help with the Typhoon cleanup.  I hope that flame tree is still there, a lot of trees were damaged or fell during the storm.  It's quite a mess there now. 

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2015, 08:54:25 AM »
Yes, the wood is long gone. Cooking fires and buildings would have consumed it all by 1950 I would guess! Funny, my job has me tracking and reporting on tropical systems across the Pacific, inc Guam and Okinawa...