Author Topic: Ironworks  (Read 3232 times)

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
Ironworks
« on: June 17, 2015, 07:55:04 PM »
The Völklingen Ironworks were established in 1873 and shut down in 1986. 17000 workers were employed 1965. In 1994 the ironworks were the first industrial monument which became a Unesco world cultural heritage. The average number of visitors is almost 1000 per day. This was my first visit, I will come back surely.

I shot 2 rolls of Ektar100 120, 1 roll Kodak Gold 135/36, and 1 roll of HP5+ 120. I brought 3 cameras: Diana+, Dacopin pinhole 6x6, Olympus XA, and a small leightweight tripod. The color films went to the lab, the HP5+ I developed and scanned today. So here are the first pictures, more to come hopefully.

ironworks Völklingen
by Imagesfrugales, on Flickr

ironworks Völklingen

ironworks Völklingen

Klaus while feeding a Rolleicord with fresh silver, he had to carry a lot more in his big bag:

ironworks Völklingen
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 07:59:09 PM by imagesfrugales »

6cmsquare

Re: Ironworks
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 05:43:05 AM »
Great stuff! I like the 2nd shot quite a bit!
“I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.”
-Hunter S. Thompson

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 05:06:19 PM »
I love urban decay! And I'm glad it's a protected UNESCO site (side note: the ruins of the hospital on Roosevelt Island, which featured prominently in one of the recent Spider Man movies, are now being torn down and reconstructed. It was one of my favorite ruins, and I never got a chance to photograph it on film, as the area was blocked off for development quite a few years ago :( )

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 08:07:56 PM »
I really like these.  The first one is my favourite as the tones are just beautiful.  The second and third shots are certainly excellent photos but they are a bit more "soot and whitewash" by comparison to the first and (only my opinion, of course) might benefit from a bit of a contrast reduction.

Can't wait to see more....
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 10:20:06 PM »
Thank you for the first comments. I'm suprised by the good perception of the first picture here and elsewhere. It's more or less straight out of the scanner. The 2nd got a medium contrast increase in pp and the 3rd a heavy one. I'm still experimenting with the Diana and its special rendering. I like rather contrasty images but can see that a lower contrast sometimes may suit better - still learning, hopefully. So here`s an unedited scan of the 3rd pic:

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 10:02:34 PM »
Interesting how altering the contrast makes a huge difference in the way that third shot. With the contrast high it looks utterly imposing, while the lower contrast version feels softer and emphasizes the sense of slow decay. Both good, but very different. Nice shots.

I really like old industrial subjects, but they aren't easy to find around here any more.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 02:45:07 PM »
Purely personal taste, of course, but I'm 110% with O2Pilot on this - the lower contrast provides more of the feel I'd expect from urban decay.  the higher contrast seems more "aggressive" somehow.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 08:04:04 PM »
I'll put in a vote for the high contrast treatment. It is more ominous. I like that look for urban decay and architecture in general. Good job on all of these though. Very well seen.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

rpmdrd

• rpmdrd
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 07:31:15 AM »
are people free to roam to take photos?

this is an interesting lot and the images I can see do justice on the ambiance of the place.

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 05:41:44 PM »
are people free to roam to take photos?
Yes, for non-commercial use.

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2015, 03:27:44 PM »
Here is the second runfrom the ironworks, now it's Kodak Gold 200 exposed in an Olympus XA and lab processed, then scanned at home.

l-völklingen-xa-11

l-völklingen-xa-25_2

l-völklingen-xa-28

l-völklingen-xa-29

l-völklingen-xa-30

l-völklingen-xa-35

l-völklingen-xa-36

Still waiting for the return or the 2 Ektar 120 films. Could be the biggest fun or a desaster, I'm nervous.

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 10:44:48 PM »
Here is the last series. The first 3 were made with the Diana on Ektar 100 and the last with the pinhole converted 6x6 Dacora also on Ektar 100.

Ironworks Völklingen

Ironworks Völklingen

Ironworks Völklingen

Ironworks Völklingen

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 12:37:43 PM »
These are so good :) I love urban decay :D

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 05:02:50 PM »
The shot of the fern growing out of the wall is really moving. I did a series a while back of plants taking over or reclaiming spaces that were once claimed by humans. Give this another decade and see how much of this environment has returned to the earth. Thanks for sharing these Reinhold.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger