Author Topic: My European tour  (Read 7902 times)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
My European tour
« on: June 11, 2015, 02:47:24 PM »
As you may know, I recently went on a 2-week tour of northern Europe with a rock band I play in. Volker was kind enough to come out to meet me and see the show in Frankfurt :) (in fact, 90% of these color shots were made on Agfa film which he graciously gifted me!) The gigs were one-nighters, meaning we arrived at the city sometime in the early afternoon, went right to the club and unloaded the gear, set up, soundchecked, ate dinner, played the show, loaded up the bus again, and slept on the bus while the driver brought us to the next city, and the process is repeated. Pretty grueling, and not much time to see any of the places that were were at. That didn't stop me, though, and I generally either wolfed down dinner, or didn't eat, so that I could quickly run around the club's neighborhood snapping pics for the hour between soundcheck and the gig. Also, we had 2 days off, one in Koln and one in Stockholm, so there was a little bit of time to recover/wander...

Without further ado then!

Europe, part I
Or, Europe through the eyes of a Canonet

Another magic partial double created by my Canonet ... the last shot I took in NYC and the first shot I took in London :)

My favorite bridge in London! Who can identify it? ;)

Another view of it, to help you out ;)

The London eye

Big Ben

Brixton. No guns.

London macro

Train tracks in Koln

Dappled light (Koln)

Whilst in Berlin, I sat in on a gig in the morning with an old high school friend of mine (he's playing bass). When I got back to the tour bus to help unload and soundcheck, our bass player asked me where I'd been and I said "playing a gig!" She would then taunt me for the rest of the tour asking why I'm being so lazy and only playing one gig a day :D

Gorlitzer Park, Berlin

A Swedish boat (for the benefit of Mr Fluminian ;) )

Old city Stockholm

Oslo Opera House

Mannequins, Camden market

My version of "Bliss" ... Woldingham UK

Woldingham macro

Lisson moorings, London

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
Re: My European tour
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 02:59:56 PM »
Part II
Or, Europe as seen by a Japanese camera (XA) on German film (Agfa)

London

Koln. European graffiti is, as a general rule, much superior to American graffiti...

The fake Berlin wall

(I screwed up the white balance on this one but can't be arsed to reprocess it)

Berlin. Ich bin ein biker.

Berlin

Kreuzberg, Berlin

Berlin

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 03:06:05 PM »
Part III
Or, Dear Old Stockholm

A very poorly done stitch of Stockholm harbor

Stockholm bikes, part 1

Stockholm bikes, part 2

Stockholm bikes, part 3

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 03:10:52 PM »
Absolutely fantastic

Well done :)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 03:13:57 PM »
Part IV
Or, the rest

Oslo

Oslo

Oslo track-level shot :)

Oslo Opera House, color redux

Oslo waterfall

Aarhus, DK

Amsterdam, or, land of alleys :)

Amsterdam

Amsterdam

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 05:24:57 PM »
Nice series!

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 08:43:59 PM »
Very nice Satish.
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

x100art

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 12:41:24 AM »
Wow very cool!! 8)

Which film are you using on the part IV, If you don't mind me asking?
Take me back to the 80's please !!! I don't  like this time ..

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 12:49:36 AM »
Wow very cool!! 8)

Which film are you using on the part IV, If you don't mind me asking?

All of the color is either Agfa Vista (of unknown origin), Agfa Vista (from the last batch of true Agfa film), or Agfa XRG (again, from the last batch of true Agfa film). The last two were gifted to me by our very own Volker :)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 01:00:09 AM »
Very nice job Satish, I'm amazed you had time to take so many great pictures on such a tight schedule.

x100art

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 01:23:02 AM »
The last 3 are my  favorite, I like the colors and the grain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Take me back to the 80's please !!! I don't  like this time ..

rpmdrd

• rpmdrd
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2015, 02:38:32 AM »
I say that the tight schedule had your intuition on a high to get these great shots around Europe.

As per Google. Would that be Albert Bridge?

I have only seen and walked on Millennium Bridge.

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2015, 03:06:04 AM »
These are so so great, Satish! The one of Big Ben is brilliant - with the locks and the British flag in the foreground. That one somehow stood out in my mind, but it's impossible to call it a favorite because they're all so good.
Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2015, 08:00:16 AM »
That's a brilliant essay Satish! I've visited most cities you're showing here but now I want to visit them all again.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2015, 03:55:30 PM »
That's a brilliant essay Satish! I've visited most cities you're showing here but now I want to visit them all again.

So do I!! Next time I'd like to have time to actually hang out in those cities! :D

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2015, 05:10:54 PM »
Great series! Like them all! :) Looks like you managed at least to see a bit more than the airport terminal.
Somehow it makes me think of a "32 cities on one roll of film" project.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2015, 06:43:44 PM »
Great series! Like them all! :) Looks like you managed at least to see a bit more than the airport terminal.
Somehow it makes me think of a "32 cities on one roll of film" project.

Wow. I wish you had thought of that before I left, I totally would have reserved one camera for that! We hit 8 cities in all, so would have had 4-5 shots per city :) I would have had to make those shots count!

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2015, 06:48:23 PM »
As per Google. Would that be Albert Bridge?

Using Google is cheating!  ::) :P

j/k, and yes, that is indeed the Albert bridge. On its south side, it dumps you right at the northeastern corner of Battersea Park. My cousin, whom I was staying with, lives on the south side of Battersea Park, so I use the bridge to orient myself and get to her apartment. In fact, this trip I took the Gatwick express into Victoria station, and I saw the Albert bridge as we were crossing the Thames, so I put it into my mental GPS (my phone GPS didn't work on the whole trip) and actually got there without having to consult a map or ask for directions :)

rpmdrd

• rpmdrd
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2015, 07:19:53 AM »
 ;D i did not really was able to get an instant result after typing in London bridges. there were many I reckon and only a few I recognize. Tower Bridge and Millennium Bridge.

You have a very great sense of direction in order to get there without any guide or map. Sometimes I do not trust the GPS or any navigation app on my phone to get somewhere. I like to get lost on trips so I can explore more but if I am with my wife and son, you have to know or pretend to know where you are going. Hehehe.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2015, 03:52:28 PM »
You have a very great sense of direction in order to get there without any guide or map. Sometimes I do not trust the GPS or any navigation app on my phone to get somewhere. I like to get lost on trips so I can explore more but if I am with my wife and son, you have to know or pretend to know where you are going. Hehehe.

I get my great sense of direction from my Dad, who did exactly the same thing as you when he had a wife and son (me) in tow. So I learned from him to purposely get lost and then as I find my way back, I am in the process learning the town :)

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2015, 09:58:54 PM »
Finally got a chance to sit down and go through all of these in more than a cursory manner. The Big Ben shot is the one that really caught me (in part because I hate those stupid locks...), but there are a number of others that are quite good - I like the brick detail and the first bike shot from Stockholm, and the light on the statue in the last shot is really excellent.

I love shooting in Europe - the cities are so different from the U.S., and everything seems more densely packed. It seems every time I go back I take an even wider lens with me....
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2015, 12:10:30 AM »
Finally got a chance to sit down and go through all of these in more than a cursory manner. The Big Ben shot is the one that really caught me (in part because I hate those stupid locks...),

Ha! I love it! You're drawn to a picture because of an element in it that you hate :D And actually, the Big Ben shot is probably my favorite from the bunch too. I even laser printed and wood-transferred it :)

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2015, 01:38:56 AM »
Finally got a chance to sit down and go through all of these in more than a cursory manner. The Big Ben shot is the one that really caught me (in part because I hate those stupid locks...),

Ha! I love it! You're drawn to a picture because of an element in it that you hate :D And actually, the Big Ben shot is probably my favorite from the bunch too. I even laser printed and wood-transferred it :)

Hey, there's no such thing as bad publicity, right?
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2015, 11:40:14 AM »
I had great joy looking through this series, satish. specially the Stockholm bikes sub series. maybe that's the new boats for this forum? :D
/jonas

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2015, 01:40:10 PM »
I'm a big fan of parked bikes! As you will see in your new thread! ;)