Author Topic: which scanner do you use?  (Read 5639 times)

gricko

• 35mm
which scanner do you use?
« on: March 27, 2006, 09:00:42 PM »
thinking about getting a scanner. thinking about canon LIDE-500f or  canon cs-4200f.......

what is your experience? do you have to go w/ dedicated film scanner like nikon coolscan V or canon fs4000? or flatbad is still oK?
my last experience was 8 years ago with umax flatbed units and it was not very happy one. too much noise, too sharp pixels.... waste of money....

last few months got fed-up scanning @ photo shops. they charge me around 2€ per roll. on 50 rolls i would pay off my scanner......

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Re: which scanner do you use?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 10:14:34 PM »
Hi gricko and welcome to Filmwasters.

Personally, I use a Meopta Opemus 6a.

:)
L.

Dave_M

• drinking the fixer...
    • Offwhite
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 10:24:24 PM »
Meoptas rock Leon! I use a magnifax 4 (and I had an axomat 5 before that). I just love them.

Hi Gricko- as for scanners I have an Epson flatbed (very old model) with neg adaptor which I got off ebay for £50. Its pathetic for prints but just fine for web scans. I have access to my local club's Nikon LS8000 which is very nice indeed (and so it should be at the price) but it is more convenient for me to do home darkroom work than to spend an evening away from home scanning negs.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 10:40:08 PM »
Meoptas rock Leon! I use a magnifax 4 (and I had an axomat 5 before that). I just love them.

Dave - wicked arent they?  They are so basic, yet properly set up and stabilised, they are absolutely fine, maybe a bit agricultural, but excellent none-the-less.

back to scanners. Gricko - I did a search at photo.net for you - http://tinyurl.com/oxhbg lots of info over there.

I use an epson flatbed hybrid for negs and prints, works fine, but I only use it for web display, so dont really expect much from it.
L.

FrankB

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 10:46:21 PM »
Hi gricko and welcome to Filmwasters.

Personally, I use a Meopta Opemus 6a.

:)

Ah yes, these combined scanner/printer units are defnitely my preference for serious work. Mine's an LPL 7700.

;D

My other scanner is an Epson flatbed (a few years old) with a tranny hood. I just use it for putting images online and it does that competently enough.

Dave_M

• drinking the fixer...
    • Offwhite
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 09:12:11 AM »
maybe a bit agricultural

That made me laugh - spot on Leon!  :D

The Massey Ferguson of darkroom equipment? ;)

gricko

• 35mm
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 10:16:21 PM »

i have one axomat 4 in my study, collecting dust.
but as lazy as i am - just could not be bothered to do prints. so far - none of my snaps moved me enough to get up and set up.
when developing film it' just me, mr. paterson and few bottles of chemistry. no darkroom or bathroom.....

and all i need is a negative scan good enough for web. 3kpix, so i can tweak it in photoshop, resize and post.

mike barnes

• 35mm
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 01:52:49 PM »
I can vouch for the Epson 4870... couple years old now, not sure if UK model is same name...but I imagine they have continued the line... first ran it on my mac, and recently transitioned it to a PC, no problems ever, its a flatbed with a 6x9 film window, comes with various film trays, fits medium format negs in nicely. Also comes with firewire port for the big honkin scans :)

outofcontxt

• Peel Apart
  • More blur. Less filling.
    • Bill Vaccaro Photography
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 08:32:27 PM »
I have an Epson 4990 that I use exclusively for 120 film scanning. Reasonably fast scans, has Digital Ice for when I scan color or chromogenic b&w, scans all the way up to 4800 dpi and has a decent dMax. Not as fine as a dedicated film scanner like the Nikon Super CoolScan 9000ED but it's a nice deal for under US$500.
"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic hatreds."
  --- George Carlin

more crappiness at http://www.outofcontxt.com and http://billvaccaro.com