Author Topic: The Palouse  (Read 5702 times)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
The Palouse
« on: May 14, 2015, 12:49:20 AM »
I recently made a few trips through the Palouse in Washington and Idaho with a sack full of cameras.  The Palouse is a region mostly in Washington but it also extends into Idaho and Oregon.  It's characterized by rolling hills or dunes of silty soil that was blown in from the West.  The agriculture in the Palouse is mostly Wheat and Legumes.  It's a beautiful place to visit but I'll admit I got tired of looking at wheat fields when I went to Washington State University back in the 1980's.  I've gotten over that and now I enjoy it whenever I have the opportunity to drive through there.

These were photographed with a Pentax K1000 using a Cosina 28-200mm f/3.8-5.6 Macro Zoom Lens.  Kodak Portra 400 film.  The lens has some issues including focusing to infinity and vignetting at the wide focal length.  I like how the soft focus looks in these three.

Palouse Half & Half by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Palouse Plowed by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Palouse Green by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: The Palouse
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 12:53:42 AM »
Barns and buildings.

This first one was Photographed with a Pentax K1000 using a SMC Pentax-A f/2 50mm lens.  Kodak Portra 400VC expired in 2002.

No Trespassing Barn by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

These next two where photographed with a Rolleiflex Automat TLR using Kodak Ektar 100.

Palouse Skyscraper by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Hillside building by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

More to come.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 03:59:50 AM »
Home sweet home! Great shots of the Palouse Bryan. Thanks for sharing.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 04:08:28 PM »
Thanks James.  Some Black and White shots.  The first is was shot with a Minolta Hi-Matic F and the second was a Kodak Instamatic X-15F.  Both are Ilford Delta 100 Semi-Stand developed in Rodinal 1-100 for about 1 hour.  I split a roll between the two cameras, half the roll was loaded into a 126 cartridge, the other half loaded into the Hi-Matic F.

Little House on the Palouse by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Window on the Palose by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 04:27:42 PM »
Palouse Falls State Park.  The first two were shot with a Rolleiflex Automat TLR on Kodak Ektar 100.  The last one was shot with a Bolsey B 22 on expired Fuji Velvia 100.

Palouse Falls by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Railroad cut in the Palouse by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Palouse Falls State Park by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 04:37:48 PM »
The last two.  The first one was shot with the Bolsey B 22 on expired Fuji Velvia 100 film.  The last one was shot with a Pentax K1000 using a Seimar f/8 500mm Telephoto Lens.  Kodak Portra 400VC expired in 2002.  The moon is overexposed but I still like it.

Dead Tree on the Palouse by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Moon Rise over the Palouse by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 04:55:00 PM »
Interesting variety of cameras and subjects. Looks like a part of the west that hasn't changed much in a long time. I'd like to get out that way one day.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 05:21:35 PM »
Thanks 02Pilot, I figured this was a great opportunity to test a few cameras and lenses.  Stopping to photograph everything the catches my eye is a great way to break up a long drive.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 06:48:16 PM »
Wow, I'm loving all of these shots Bryan! The third shot way up top is reminiscent of the famous "Bliss" Windows background image :)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 07:07:42 PM »
Thanks Satish, I always thought "Bliss" was shot in the Palouse until I read an article about it recently and found out it was Sonoma County, California. 

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 07:40:30 PM »
I'm going to be up that way in July. Already planning a 'photo day' out in the wheat fields. There should be heads on the wheat by then. It will be beautiful. Thanks for the inspiration.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2015, 10:08:40 AM »
GREAT series, Bryan. Thanks so much for posting the images and taking the time to set the scene with the accompanying text. While the weekend threads are a good chance to showcase work and receive feedback, I wish more people would start individual threads featuring work, rather than waiting for the weekend. This is the perfect antidote to my why-always-post-in-the-weekend-thread blues  :)

My favourite is the ploughed field near the top. I love the peaceful vibe, the muted colours and the undulations of the horizon. The one before it screamed "Windows 95!!" to me too :)

More posts like this, please. Filmwasters is more about the image, than the geeky tech behind it  ;)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 10:13:05 AM by Ed Wenn »

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2015, 01:28:40 PM »
Thank you very much for posting this beautiful series, Bryan. I have to admit that I never heard about the Palouse before. So I did a little web search and now I have a little glimpse of a clue. If you do a picture search you will get tons of the ever same popping hdr pics. One might be impressive, but after the 10th "wow" it gets boring very fast. So your sublime pics are the much better ones, above all for a fw of course.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2015, 04:33:08 PM »
If you do a picture search you will get tons of the ever same popping hdr pics.

Wow, I just did that and Bryan's are SOOO much better. And by "better" I mean that they don't make me want to stick a railroad tie in my eye just from looking at them :P

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2015, 04:35:22 PM »
Also, I agree with Ed that we need MORE PHOTO ESSAYS! :D I visit this subforum daily and I am sad when there are no new threads for me to enjoy :(

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2015, 05:11:16 PM »
James, can't wait to see what you photograph in July, the fields should look very different by then. 

Ed, the Plowed field is my favorite as well.  Notice I spelled Plowed the American way, the field was plowed in America ;)

Thanks, Reinhold and Satish, National Geographic did a story on the Palouse a few decades ago with some great film photography, I wish I could find it online but their archives only seem to back to 2005.  I may have to go dig through my fathers collection.

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2015, 05:44:47 PM »
Great series. That first shot is a stunner. Really enjoyed the rest as well.

Sid Dongre

• 35mm
    • A/Chromaticity: Explorations in film & development; colour and B&W
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2015, 06:06:57 PM »
Wow, I just did that and Bryan's are SOOO much better. And by "better" I mean that they don't make me want to stick a railroad tie in my eye just from looking at them :P

Indeed! Makes my head a little woozy looking at them.

Back on topic, numbers "Plowed", "Green" and "Little House" are my faves.

6cmsquare

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2015, 04:17:07 AM »
Great shots! I haven't been out to eastern WA in a year or so- these shots remind me I need to pay a visit to some old friends out there and get out of the city- such a beautiful part of the country.
“I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.”
-Hunter S. Thompson