Author Topic: DIY 120 film  (Read 5043 times)

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
DIY 120 film
« on: April 20, 2015, 07:23:10 PM »
I took the time to write this up on the blog, so thought I would share here. Photos probably next weekend.

http://jamesharrphoto.blogspot.com/2015/04/diy-120-film.html
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
Re: DIY 120 film
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 09:45:27 PM »
the images don't come up for me
/jonas

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 09:59:30 PM »
Nor me.

But I like the idea of bulk loading 120. Would be interesting to see how you did it.
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 10:04:35 PM »
Hm. I'll have to move the pictures. I tried using Google Drive, but that is obviously not working.

That ought'ta do it.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 01:42:05 AM by jharr »
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 02:17:26 AM »
Good job James, I hope the film is good, I'm going to shoot a roll of 616 in the next week so I will have a few spools with backing paper.  I've seen similar slitter designs but they had a narrower gap to feed the film through, just enough to easily slide the film in.  That may solve your problem getting it started.  The film may be curling over rather than starting the cut. 

I have a few slitters for dividing Double 8mm film after its processed.  They use offset rollers, one pushes the film up and the other pushes it down splitting it in the middle.  They are easy to get the film started and work quite well.  That design would be quite difficult to duplicate without access to precision machining tools. 

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 03:44:49 AM »
Thanks Bryan. I thought about making rollers out of dowels, but that seemed overly complicated. I also thought of making the top part with the razor hinged, so I could put the film in and then close the lid, piercing the film in the process. A thinner passage seems much simpler than either of those solutions. Good thing I have lots of foam core! :)
Flickr
Blogger

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 08:35:00 AM »
it looks promising :)
/jonas