Author Topic: One subject/one roll (or very nearly so): The Queensboro bridge  (Read 3438 times)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
There are 2 reasons this is only "very nearly" 1s/1r ...
1. I didn't leave the house with the intention of doing a 1s/1r, so the first shot on the roll was just taken "near" the subject.
2. The camera is my Holga WPC, which takes 6 12x6 shots on a 120 roll, so according to the rules I have to post all 6 shots, whether I like it or not :-\

Other "problems": I forgot to bring a tripod because dumb :-[ And 2 of the photos technically use this abandoned building as the subject, but since the QBB is in frame (deliberately so), I am unabashedly calling it the subject. So anyways, without further ado, I present to you my favorite bridge (which happens to be down the street from me), in dizzying wide angle. (click to embigify)

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
Re: One subject/one roll (or very nearly so): The Queensboro bridge
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 09:12:12 PM »
Nice. i like these shots. Being a lifelong left coaster, I am unfamiliar with this bridge. I assume that one end would be in the Queens Borough. Where is the other?

I have to say that shots of NY outside of the bustling streets of Manhattan often look just like any other city. This sort of surprises me every time I see them. Thanks for sharing Satish.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 10:18:30 PM »
You mastered the challenge very well, Satish. Great show demonstrating the best qualities of a Holga and the ultra wide format. The second one with the extremely beautiful flare is one probably every photographer would be proud of. Composition of the third: bravo!

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 11:13:12 PM »
Thank you Reinhold! Your comments are very much appreciated :)

James: The QBB goes from Queens (Long Island City, my neighborhood) to Manhattan (midtown east basically).

I'm pretty sure I can tell streets of Queens from streets in the outskirts of LA. Or in the Midwest. But maybe you're thinking of Long Island or Jersey, both of which are basically suburbs. And you're right that suburbs look like suburbs (for the most part ... the farther west you go, the more room you have, so the streets are a little wider and the houses are a little shorter and wider)

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 01:42:05 AM »
Nice series Satish! I really like how you got the bridge from a different angle each time. Interesting little abandoned building too. Any idea what it may have been?

6cmsquare

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 03:19:20 AM »
I've got to hand it to you, I'm not a big fan of the Holga cameras, but your shots always make me re-concider my position.  I especially like the shot straight into the sun.
“I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.”
-Hunter S. Thompson

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 09:43:19 PM »
I was watching an episode of White Collar with my boys and there was a shot of the main characters standing in front of that abandoned building. I cried out "I know where that is!! Satish shot that building!!" The boys were completely baffled, so I had to explain that it was a Filmwaster Forum thing. They gave me the requisite eye rolls and went back to watching the show. I thought it was fun though.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 12:09:30 PM »
Bloody hell, Satish! These shots are so much better than anything I got from that camera. That reminds me, I should finally develop the rolls I shot with the lens you sent me.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 04:59:04 PM »
I was watching an episode of White Collar with my boys and there was a shot of the main characters standing in front of that abandoned building. I cried out "I know where that is!! Satish shot that building!!" The boys were completely baffled, so I had to explain that it was a Filmwaster Forum thing. They gave me the requisite eye rolls and went back to watching the show. I thought it was fun though.

Seriously?? That very building? I love NYC references, especially places I know. Which episode was it? I'll look for it.

Ironically, what I HATE is when film crews take over a street/block/neighborhood. So very inconvenient. So I hate the process of filming my neighborhood, but I love watching the outcome :D

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 04:59:49 PM »
ps, Thank you Urban! :D

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 09:26:42 PM »

Seriously?? That very building? I love NYC references, especially places I know. Which episode was it? I'll look for it.

Ironically, what I HATE is when film crews take over a street/block/neighborhood. So very inconvenient. So I hate the process of filming my neighborhood, but I love watching the outcome :D

I found it! S5Ep3!! In fact, the museum in that episode is actually the American Museum of the Moving Image, which is literally (in the literal sense of the word literal) 8 blocks from my house! :D (warning: digital picture) Now I know why it was closed down for a few weeks a couple of years ago >:( inconvenience  ::)

Also also, the block where the 2 guys were talking and exchanging the brown leather satchel in the scene right before Queensbridge Park is probably 5 blocks from my house. I walk by there almost every day :)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 09:33:23 PM by Indofunk »

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 09:29:06 PM »
Yeah I'll bet that show has been the cause of quite a few museum closures. They seem to spend a lot of time in museums and galleries.
Flickr
Blogger

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2015, 04:54:36 PM »
Wow, great series. Especially love the 2nd and 3rd. The wideness gives the shots almost a pinhole-ish character.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2015, 05:14:36 PM »
The WPC is indeed a pinhole camera!  :)

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2015, 05:55:11 PM »
Ah, yes. That would explain it.  ;D