Author Topic: First roll with my new Mamiya M645  (Read 4197 times)

6cmsquare

First roll with my new Mamiya M645
« on: March 25, 2015, 10:54:05 PM »
After 50 mile round trip to pick it up, then, a trip to the repair guy, and ultimately a new camera body, my "bargain" Mamiya 645 1000s has turned out to be just a "slightly below average" priced one, but all in all, I'm really pleased with it.
Here's a few shots from a roll I shot down at Union Station.  The weather was pretty miserable. 
“I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.”
-Hunter S. Thompson

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: First roll with my new Mamiya M645
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 03:45:06 AM »
Great shots, I really like the union station ones.  I haven't been there since they finished the restoration, it looks great.

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 12:15:32 PM »
Nice shots. Too bad about the extra expenses but welcome to the m645 club. I like mine and use it a lot. I managed to score a cheap WL finder and use it a fair bit with this. It makes for a light package. If I remember correctly you are a TLR guy so I won't bore you with the details  of WL usage ;)
---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

6cmsquare

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 04:37:17 PM »
Nice shots. Too bad about the extra expenses but welcome to the m645 club. I like mine and use it a lot. I managed to score a cheap WL finder and use it a fair bit with this. It makes for a light package. If I remember correctly you are a TLR guy so I won't bore you with the details  of WL usage ;)

Thank you, yeah, I'm liking this camera quite a bit- It's definitely a step up from my Yeshica Mat 124, though a little heavier.  I got mine with both the WL finder and a metered prism, but I really like the WL, and just carry around my Minolta IV F or use that "pocket light meter" app.

For someone who plans on using this camera quite a bit, what are you ideal camera bag extras (lenses, etc) that you can recomend? 
I have the sekor 80mm  1.9, the 45mm 2.8 and a x2 extension for it, and a few extra film transports-  I feel like I'm fairly set up?
“I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.”
-Hunter S. Thompson

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 05:32:44 PM »
I would recommend a 150/3.5. They can be had really cheap these days. I personally didn't like the 80/1.9 and reverted to the 80/2.8 which is lighter and more compact. The 35mm is a superb lens too.

If you're a tripod or monopod user then my modification to a standard L plate to fit Mamiya cameras might be of interest (considering the cost of pukka Mamiya ones). It's at http://www.photoallsorts.co.uk/post/113613763777/mamiya-645-l-plate
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 08:37:28 PM »
Actually I have always wanted a 80mm 1.9 (as I am goofy about skinny DOF). However I do understand where Peter is coming from about weight. I have the 80mm macro lens which is awesome but I rarely use it as it is heavy compared to my 80mm 2.8 lens. This is especially the case as I have the newer "N" version of the 2.8 lens. It has a bit of plastic on it (i believe only for nonwearing parts such as the focusing ring) and it really quite light. It is probably not that much bigger than some bulky 50mm lenses for 135 cameras. They are also pretty cheap so even if you have a 1.9 lens you may wish to keep your eyes out for one of these.

What I love about 645 format is that you can set it up to be almost as light as a 135 camera (OK, a heavier 135 camera). When I put the macro lens on and the viewfinder and the grip (which I hardly ever use) the darned thing feels so much bulkier.

The only 'heavy' item I like for it is a metred viewfinder (I used the PDS) as I am often lazy and like a built in metre.

So I would consider keeping your eye out for a cheap 2.8 80mm lens. Like I said the 80mm macro is lovely but it does weigh a lot. I have the 150 lens Peter refered to and it is nice but 99% of the time I just like shooting with the standard perspective, so I have not logged much time on it.
---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 09:01:26 PM »
Actually I have always wanted a 80mm 1.9 (as I am goofy about skinny DOF). However I do understand where Peter is coming from about weight.

I probably didn't write that very well. The 2.8 is lighter and more compact but it wasn't the weight that I didn't like about the 1.9, it was the bokeh which, imho, wide open, is awful. Here's an a couple of examples:

Scan-120701-0019ed by ridgeway photographer, on Flickr

Scan-120706-0003ed by ridgeway photographer, on Flickr
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

6cmsquare

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 04:34:46 AM »
Thanks! next time I get the bug, I'll hunt for a 2.8/80 mm and maybe a 150,  but for now, I don't really mind the weight, ...if I get into any trouble in one of my night shoots, I can always hit someone with it.
-Hunter S. Thompson