Author Topic: Coyoacan  (Read 1767 times)

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
Coyoacan
« on: March 13, 2015, 08:00:57 PM »
Coyoacan is a district towards the South of Mexico City that retains the air of a Mexican village  surrounded by the enormity of the Distrito Federal.  In fact it was a village up until the 1950s when it was swallowed by the capital.  Coyoacan means Place of the Coyotes and was used as a base by Cortes as he planned his conquest of the Aztec Empire.  Afterwards it became home to the affluent middle classes.

Nowadays it is an easy going place, favoured by artists  (Frida Kahlo lived there)  intellectuals and is also the home of my in laws. The centre attracts crowds of locals and tourists at the week end but these photos were taken early on Sunday morning just after Christmas, before the peace of the day was disturbed.

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
Re: Coyoacan
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 08:01:45 PM »
And some more.

sgt.brimer

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 01:55:39 AM »
Great pictures!

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 04:37:27 PM »
Great shots Charles. I was trying to pick favorites, but I like them all. They have that wonderful feel like you said of "pre-activity" vitality. The colors are wonderful. Thanks for sharing these. I have a friend who was almost kidnapped by the police in Mexico City, so even though the border is just a short drive for me, I never venture into Mexico. Maybe some day I will get the courage up again.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 07:21:28 PM »
Jharr

Thank you.  Mexico City has a bad reputation and to a certain extent that reputation is well earned.  However, if you are careful and don't indulge in "high risk behaviour"  there is no reason why anything unpleasant should happen. 

You do have to be wary of the local constabulary though.  In over 15 years of visiting Mexico the only bad experience I have ever had was with the police, I managed to extricate myself and my then fiancee out of trouble by doing a runner fairly sharpish so nothing bad happened but I've heard enough tales from the locals to give the cops a very wide berth.

Even with the violence and corruption, Mexico is a wonderful country with a rich and vibrant culture, the food is amazing and the locals an absolute hoot.  I love going there.

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 09:08:57 PM »
There are some lovely colours in the very nice shots

6cmsquare

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 05:38:56 AM »
Nice shots! What were you shooting with?- I like the darkened corners effect you are getting, my yashica tlr does that when I put the telephoto lens attachment on.   It's like instant nostalgia!
“I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.”
-Hunter S. Thompson

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 07:44:30 AM »
6cm.  Thank you.  I used a holga loaded with Portra 400.