Author Topic: One subject, One roll, Moonlit Lighthouse  (Read 2310 times)

6cmsquare

One subject, One roll, Moonlit Lighthouse
« on: March 11, 2015, 11:57:04 PM »
I shot these Sunday morning at 4 or 5 AM (depending on daylight savings time), I should of been out there 2 days earlier, to catch the full moon. -they are a little under exposed from what I had planned, after I got home and checked my notes I realized I accidentally shaved about 30 seconds off the lighthouse pics due to faulty math --I wish time was measured in metric. 
“I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.”
-Hunter S. Thompson

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
Re: One subject, One roll, Moonlit Lighthouse
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 09:00:39 AM »
bummer about the miscalculation but you got some potential here... is the first shot at about five minutes? it would be cool with a longer exposure and longer trails but maybe the light in the lighthouse would burn out a bit more than you'd like?
/jonas

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 12:27:50 PM »
How long where the exposures? 30 seconds at night does not have to make that much of a difference. Many of mine are in the 8-15 minute area, 30s would have meant nothing.

Did you take into account film reciprocity? If shooting anything other than Acros that is very important.
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 02:56:20 PM »
I like how they turned out, is that the West Point light house in Seattle?  It's been years since I've been out there.  Nice shot of Mt. Rainier as well.

6cmsquare

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 05:12:27 AM »
How long where the exposures? 30 seconds at night does not have to make that much of a difference. Many of mine are in the 8-15 minute area, 30s would have meant nothing.

Did you take into account film reciprocity? If shooting anything other than Acros that is very important.
-more accurately reviewing my notes...I did calculate for reciprocity loss, it was a pretty bright night and these were shot at f3.5 , my meter read 30 seconds, I was supposed to calculate that to 210 seconds, which, in my half-awake-coffee-less mind I somehow interpreted as 2.5 minutes not 3.5 minutes -so I actually shaved a minute off the time, I'm going to head back out there and re-shoot.
“I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.”
-Hunter S. Thompson

6cmsquare

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 05:13:57 AM »
I like how they turned out, is that the West Point light house in Seattle?  It's been years since I've been out there.  Nice shot of Mt. Rainier as well.

Thanks you,- yep, out at Discovery Park.
-Hunter S. Thompson

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 09:27:21 PM »
They look really nice, I have always wanted to capture the night and you have done it beautifully  ;)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 11:44:04 PM »
Really nice set.  Top 2 are my favourites. Such a feel of tranquility and calm.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".