Author Topic: Review - The Black Mat.  (Read 10397 times)

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
Review - The Black Mat.
« on: August 11, 2007, 12:25:22 PM »
Loving the capabilities of the stylish Buroni S2, and not being able to justify an EC-TL (or heaven forbid, that Leyland Bus of 6x6s, the RB67), when looking for a reasonable MF portrait camera I was left with a few viable choices.

Options had to be metered, as juggling a meter in the field was becoming increasingly tiring as I approached my mid-30s. Dropping my Seikonic in the dirt when changing film on my last portrait shoot was the final stick in the yakitori jar.

1985 Yachicamat 124G.

Enter the Yashica Mat. The 124G (named I assume for its 12-frame 120, or 24-frame 220 capability), and `G` of course for its solid gold chassis. The all-black finish too suited my black skivvie wearing, tortured ex-Melbourne artist look.

Why a TLR? Asking strangers for a street portrait results in a very different pose than a more conventional camera. Also, while putting the eye to a viewfinder is common, in using a waist-finder in the street passers-by rarely notice.

Go-fujin. TCN400.

This Black Mat meters just fine with a 1.5V alkaline, maybe a half-stop off, so unless I'm shooting Fortia it has no need for a 1.35V mercury adapter thingy. Regardless, the meter`s match needle operation allows easy corrections with brain engaged.

Nihonbashi. Expired x-pro VC100.

A man ranting about the French demanded I take his photograph. TCN400.

I like this camera!

A man who told me he tended the sento fires for over 25 years. Expired Fuji 400 color.

Next month: The Franken-Pack. Have fun.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 12:25:02 PM by Skorj »

myrighteye

Re: Review - The Black Mat.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 09:45:59 PM »
Hi Skorj, sorry I know this is an old topic, when using the Mat 124 g, as in the first photograph, what was the level of the camera? I enjoy doing street portraits and have recently got a Mat 124g and was wondering what level do you position the camera for street portraits using this camera. really enjoying this site.
thanks

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 01:47:51 PM »
Hi Skorj, sorry I know this is an old topic, when using the Mat 124 g, as in the first photograph, what was the level of the camera? I enjoy doing street portraits and have recently got a Mat 124g and was wondering what level do you position the camera for street portraits using this camera. really enjoying this site.
thanks

Like this generally. But, for slower shutter speeds (down to 1/8s) at the bottom of the strap for stability. The one you mention above was from about this level.

Courtesy of Tommy Oshima.

Glad to have you along. Skj.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 12:09:36 PM by Skorj »

myrighteye

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 03:02:37 PM »
Thank you for your help. much apprecited.
Going to waste some film this weekend.

Soap

• Edge of the world
    • Noir
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 11:15:07 PM »
Excellent review of a great camera!  ;D
35mm -  - Olympus OM10 - Nikon F3HP
-
120 - Minolta Autocord I
-
Photoblog
http://steveninn.tumblr.com/
500PX
http://500px.com/Steveninn

DaveO

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 07:53:39 PM »
     If it's like my Rolleiflex, it may have a sports finder which you use at eye level. It's just a lens less window you look through.

DaveO

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 10:53:12 PM »
     If it's like my Rolleiflex, it may have a sports finder which you use at eye level. It's just a lens less window you look through.

DaveO
It does. You just flip down the front panel and it clips into place.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.