Author Topic: Red Feb: Doublered  (Read 2313 times)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
Red Feb: Doublered
« on: February 24, 2015, 08:32:39 PM »
Double your pleasure, double your fun, with Doublered, Doublered, Doublered gum!

Ok, bad portmanteau there, but they were both made by Wrigley's, right?  :P

So for these, I started out with 02Pilot's general "sunny 2.8" rule, and then added a whole bunch of my own "random exposure" craziness, which along with the double exposures probably cut right through that redscale well and gave truer colors. I also have recently decided to go back to allowing my Epson V500 to do the color correction, because I found it saves me a lot of Lightroom processing and actually looks more natural than manually color correcting in Lightroom. The Epson does add a bit too much sharpening and contrast for my taste, but I can't seem to separate the color correction from the whole suite of "image correction". Whatever, it saves time :P

Fuji Superia 400, long expired, redscaled, shot in a Graflex Ciro.

Yes, this really is a double! I set the camera on a ledge, then took one shot focused close, and one shot focused at infinity. I was thinking that it might give me an "everything in focus" effect, even at f/3.5, but instead it gave me an "everything out of focus". Even better! :D

I call this one "The Lady and Her Lion"

I just doubled the number of Oscars you won, Beija Flor. You're welcome.

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
Re: Red Feb: Doublered
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 08:52:53 PM »
Nice set! I love the R train shot and the one with the Big Allis stacks.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 09:04:28 PM »
N train ;) R never comes above ground.

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 09:21:59 PM »
I'm showing my age. The N used to be the Queens blvd local in queens. Then it switched with the R.  :o

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 09:37:57 PM »
Nice shots Satish. I too like #1. I like your idea on #6 too. It is sort of like soft focus where a sharp focus image is overlaid with an out of focus one. Your lens probably extends slightly when you focus 'in', so that changes the nominal focal length which adds a bit of offset to the two images. More interesting that way, I think.

My V600 does either a good job or an abominable job guessing at the color balance for redscale negs. It all depends on what color the white spot is. If it is "mostly white", we're all good, but if it is somewhat red, then the whole thing goes purple. I'm not against purple (Lomo is making $$ on it aren't they?), but it's not the look I'm going for with redscale. It looks like your scanner did a pretty good job with the color balance on the daylight photos. They have that sort of shift that makes you go "huh?".
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 09:38:02 PM »
I'm showing my age. The N used to be the Queens blvd local in queens. Then it switched with the R.  :o

Really? Weird how they do that. Like the Q used to be part of the B/D/F trifecta, and now it's some sort of emasculated version of the (current) N.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 09:42:04 PM »
Nice shots Satish. I too like #1. I like your idea on #6 too. It is sort of like soft focus where a sharp focus image is overlaid with an out of focus one. Your lens probably extends slightly when you focus 'in', so that changes the nominal focal length which adds a bit of offset to the two images. More interesting that way, I think.

Ah, yes, of course that's what happened. Makes it almost look like you have a bit of double-vision :)

6cmsquare

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 05:12:30 PM »
Cool stuff, I like the trees vs chimneys shot a lot, Did you do equal time for both exposures?  Does reciprocity loss come in to play when doing multiply exposures? 
“I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.”
-Hunter S. Thompson

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 07:35:55 PM »
Yeah, this roll I was lazy and used the same EV for both shots in each double. No idea about reciprocity, I don't calculate EV that intently :D I have found, though, that negative film's latitude allows 2 "correct" exposures on the same piece of film to come out perfectly well, as these did. In fact, I've observed the same for xpro'd positive film.