Author Topic: Red Feb: Macro Abstraction  (Read 1608 times)

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
Red Feb: Macro Abstraction
« on: February 22, 2015, 01:07:59 AM »
I don't own a macro focusing lens unless you count extending the bellows on my Speed Graphic, but for 35mm I sometimes like to just take the 50mm lens off and hold it up to the camera body backwards. Then I focus by adjusting my distance to the subject. In this case, I was using my Nikkormat FTn and the venerable 50mm f/1.4 lens. I had loaded some redscaled Fuji Superia 400 and was shooting it at iso 25. Here are some results.

gossamer by James Harr's Photos, on Flickr

jasmine by James Harr's Photos, on Flickr

aloe flower by James Harr's Photos, on Flickr

fig leaf by James Harr's Photos, on Flickr

snail by James Harr's Photos, on Flickr

web by James Harr's Photos, on Flickr
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
Re: Red Feb: Macro Abstraction
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 11:36:48 PM »
Even at 25 it's that red! :P I think the glistening spiderweb at the bottom is my favorite :)

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 12:07:34 AM »
Yeah, I was a little surprised too, but it was a little expired, so it wasn't quite 3 stops over.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 03:11:19 AM »
I really like the first an last one!  I've never tried the lens flip, may have to try that.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 05:08:38 PM »
I just tried it on my Minolta SRT-102 + 50mm 1.7 :D Hey James, will the camera meter properly TTL? I guess we'll find out...

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 05:33:25 PM »
Not sure about the auto meter. If it is truly a 'body' meter that doesn't care which/if a lens is attached, it should work. I wouldn't really expect this to work on a modern DSLR since they are so dependent on communicating with the lens. I really only do this with manual bodies and lenses. I usually add a stop to what I read on my handheld meter or sunny 16 to compensate for "bellows extension". I also usually only do it if I can use f/4 or better. Trying to keep something in focus at f/2 or heaven forbid 1.4 is just too hard and I'm generally too lazy to lug a tripod around.
Flickr
Blogger

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 03:21:16 PM »
Cool.  I like the reverse lens effect.