Author Topic: One Subject, One Roll: North Bridge Halifax  (Read 2157 times)

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
One Subject, One Roll: North Bridge Halifax
« on: February 18, 2015, 11:09:53 AM »
My second one roll post is a bridge in the town I grew up in

The complete set (all 36 shots) is here https://kayosphotography.wordpress.com/2015/02/18/one-subject-one-roll-north-bridge-halifax/

Shot on Rollei Retro 400S, developed in Rodinol. EOS 3, 28-135 (I felt like using AF for this one)

North Bridge, Halifax is a Victorian iron and stone bridge at Halifax, West Yorkshire, in northern England. It crosses the valley of the River Hebble, connecting the town to roads to Bradford and Leeds. Replacing an earlier six arch stone bridge it was raised to allow the subsequent construction of the Halifax High Level Railway under it with an adjoining station. Opened in 1871 amid chaotic crowd scenes it carried increasingly heavy traffic until it was by-passed by the Burdock Way in 1973. It remains in use for local traffic.

NorthBridge-3 by Kayos Photos, on Flickr

NorthBridge-4 by Kayos Photos, on Flickr

NorthBridge-5 by Kayos Photos, on Flickr

NorthBridge-6 by Kayos Photos, on Flickr

NorthBridge-31 by Kayos Photos, on Flickr

NorthBridge-33 by Kayos Photos, on Flickr

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: One Subject, One Roll: North Bridge Halifax
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 12:53:05 PM »
Really nice photos Kayos. I love the gargoyle and the last photo (lamp-post base?).  I don't know Halifax that well but have been there many times in years gone by watching speedway (Belle Vue) riding against Halifax at The Shay.  Some of my favourite photos were taken in Halifax by Bill Brandt - but much of the industrial heritage he shot will have, no doubt, been flattened long ago. 

The film is also very interesting.  I've never used that film but it looks like it has a very nice spread of tones and nice, but not too obtrusive, grain. Must get a hold of some of that..... 8)
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 02:10:09 PM »
Thank you Late Developer, I have a thing for gargoyles and grotesques, which may be why I like Victorian architecture, The Shay is pretty much the opposite end of the town centre from the bridge, so depending where you travelled in from, you may not have had need to use it.

I love Retro 400S, was initially bought to try and quickly became a firm favourite, if buying 35mm don't pay more than about £2.80 a roll (may need to buy 2 to get that price), I think the grain can be lessened with other developers or 1+50 in Rodinol, but I like the grain 1+25 gives.

You are right on the industrial heritage, much of it is gone, even stuff I remember from being a lad has gone now, however I am working on a slightly more in depth project on old derelict mills, It wont qualify for one roll but I will post the appropriate (film) shots on the board

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 06:04:32 PM »
Very nice been under and over that bridge, my sister lives in Halifax (Wheatley)