Author Topic: Review - Ricoh GR1.  (Read 97668 times)

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
Review - Ricoh GR1.
« on: August 10, 2007, 12:52:15 PM »
While the Canonet is my classic 35 from the 1970s, the GR1 is my classic 35 from the 1990s. Released in 1996, it is a Point-and-Shoot designed from scratch to embody a number of semi-professional attributes. Auto-focus (with some manual options), full-auto exposure (with aperture priority override) and exposure compensation, it was made with a magnesium chassis, and magnesium body covers.

1996 Ricoh GR1.

The camera feels really good in the hand as a result. It is extremely thin (25mm), and the cool metal covers and metal shutter release have a glorious tactile feel. Metal parts abound. Overall size vs function continues to amaze me. This camera is tiny, motor-wound and really quiet, it is simply a little joy to use. The auto-loading function pre-winds a whole film; accidental back opening damage is minimized as a result.

From its first introduction, it morphed from the plain-Jane GR1, through the GR1 Date, GR1s, GR1v and finally the neato GR21. None of which are built any more. It was available in two colors; silver and black:

Except for its 'consumer' finish of silver, it is identical to the black GR1. So, if you're looking to get a GR1 and are more interested in the performance over street-cred, you can save maybe \10,000 in buying the lesser finished silver.

The only operational difficulty I've observed between the two is the contrast between the aperture dial and its lettering on the silver model is hard to read sometimes.

Note early silver plain jane GR1 have a matching silver lens surround, whereas the later GR1s and v have the same black lens surround as the black GR1.

While the GR1 series all had a 28mm f2,8 lens and aperture priority, they also had a few manual options to assist the Point-and-Shoot crowd who wanted a bit more control. With the GR21, Ricoh introduced a 21mm lens to the already excellent GR chassis.

The GR1v matched the GR1s' date capability with a few extra programming highlights, including the ability to override the base DX functionality. The GR21 too has DX-override, and also gets an external flash-socket.

Aperture Control. Ricoh GR1.

All GRs have an exposure compensation dial to allow additional control in either P-mode, or in aperture priority mode (+/- 2 stops). The aperture priority / P dial is easily tweaked with the thumb when shooting, making manual control a one-handed breeze.

Blued Steel Exposure Compensation. Ricoh GR1.

Shutter release lag is nil in all modes (after auto-focus). Auto-focus lag is measurable, but not an issue - a simple `whrr` and its locked on. If auto-focus lag is an issue, a number of manual override settings are available.

The non-s/v version lacks the green backlit LCD, but you can still see the display well in low-light conditions. The viewfinder however is often a source of complaint. I find no major problems with it, knowing its size and functions have been designed down to support the overall small camera's size.

The lens coatings also made at least one change during production:

The viewfinder's functions are back-lit with a green LED in the dark, and some complaints probably stem from its intermediate- to low-light performance before the LED is tripped on.

Viewfinder.

Filters, hoods, and special cases are also available. For those concerned about such matters the hood is considered by some necessary, as flaring is supposedly apparent in the short lens/body combo. Flare? Bring it on I say.

GR1s with dinky little lens hood fitted.

Picture quality is excellent, with sharpness far in excess of that expected from a regular Point-and-Shoot. The manual override functions are almost always used to exert a level of control over my results, and I am very happy with the outcome.

Nihonbashi Gray Mouse. Ilford XP2.

Light vignetting is sometimes visible at f28. The small built-in flash is effective for those close night shots (to 3m), and it slow-syncs in aperture priority mode. Nice.

Shibuya Gungero. Ilford XP2.

Talk about nice color & sharpness. Fuji Pro400

XP2 Super and the GR1 seem to go together very well...

The GR line has recently been supplemented with a GR Digital. While the camera looks essentially the same, apart from the magnesium body, it is a different camera entirely. While Ricoh claim the GR lens has been duplicated for the GR Digital, I cannot imagine this is true as the optical qualities of a lens engineered for a digital sensor should be different to a conventional film lens. Still, it makes for a nice story, and carries the GR name into the future; perhaps making a few question its origins and take the step to find out what the fuss was about (as I have).

GR series magnesium moldings.

I bought this one as my surrogate digital camera. Small, fast, battery efficient, I can carry it loaded with ISO400 C41 XP2 and get a 45-minute turn-around onto CD. Not quite a routine PaS, and a little secret for photographers here in Japan. Jessica Michibata and Moriyama Daido amongst others...

Black GR1 'Daido Moriyama', top of page, and Silver 'Jenson Button' GR1v also above. All I need now is for Araki to sign my Plaubel...

GR1s range in price from USD200 to USD500, and GR21s are around USD1500.

Moriyami and Araki in Shinjuku (and GR21).

The GR21 is a slightly different kitten; made in Japan, as opposed to Taiwan like most (if not all) GR1, the lens does not fully retract, and it does not have an integrated lens cover, using a conventional external clip-on. Filter rings are used to accept a variety of optional filters, and a 21mm specific lens-hood.

Still want a GR, but like a full RF? Then you can buy one of these:

GR21mm with Leica Mount for RFs.

Maintenance Note: Some GR users have complained of either shutter lag, or a small delay in the auto-focus function. This camera too had a similar problem, and it appears to be caused by a slight degradation of conductivity in the electric shutter release button. A small squirt of electrical contact cleaner and a blow of puffer air into the shutter button fixed this immediately.

If you're really into your GR, you can collect the genuine Ricoh shop-display rock:

Next: The Submarine. Have fun.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 09:53:08 AM by Skorj »

truc-anh

• 35mm
Re: Review - Ricoh GR1.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 01:14:23 AM »
hi,

thanks for that very good review.
you said that the multicoating is different between GR1 and s/v.
do you know if it made a real difference of picture quality?

i have a bidding for a GR1 (end in 24h!) (because GR1v is very more expensive for few option) and i don't know if the GR1 lense worth the GR1v.

many thanks!

truc-anh
white.anh(at)gmail.com

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 10:55:15 PM »
you said that the multicoating is different between GR1 and s/v.
do you know if it made a real difference of picture quality?

I am not sure myself, but I am sure Ricoh did it for a good reason. I've not been able to notice any difference between the Moriyama plain-jane GR1 above, and the gray GR1v here either. For a user like me; no difference!

Good luck with the auction. Skj.

truc-anh

• 35mm
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 10:40:47 PM »
lucky boy for your ricoh with d's signature :)

CvM

• 35mm
  • Mvrbv
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 01:49:20 AM »
This is a nice review, the GR1 is motivation to getting an actual job.
gentrify.tumblr.com

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 12:34:02 AM »
Just ordered one from Tokyo -- a GR1s.  Yay!

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 12:00:53 AM »
Just got myself a GR1s and had first roll of film (just test shots) back - see weekend thread 18/11/2011. If anyone has a lens hood for a GR1s that they are prepared to sell, please send me a PM as I'm keen to obtain one...
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 09:15:42 AM »
seeing the digital version getting more and more popular around here makes me want to try out the original~
I've been using a viv uws recently and love the wideangle but the days are getting too short and the light too dim for it to handle, this would help I think :)
/jonas

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 08:56:58 AM »
@Jojonas

Just got back from Sri Lanka and I must say that (assuming the photos come out as anticipated) the GR1s was a dream to use. I took my Leica R3 + 28/50/90 lenses and intended to use the GR1s as more of a back-up, to be honest. However, the weather conditions in Sri Lanka (end of the monsoon rains in our first week) meant that carrying an interchangeable "system" wasn't particularly workable without getting the bag and contents swamped.

The GR1s got thoroughly saturated a couple of times and, despite not appearing to be the most heavy-duty, weatherproofed camera I've ever seen, it was superb.

Film will be off for processing today, so I hope to have something to post in the next few days / week or so.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 08:08:47 AM »
saw that the GR21 had a PC-flash(?)cord connector. interesting feature on such a camera~

photos from japancamerahunters flickr stream http://www.flickr.com/photos/bellams/
/jonas

olympusOM

• 35mm
    • Fogel's Focus
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 07:59:37 PM »
I am new to the forum and saw this review.  I am wondering if anyone who has used these cameras with regularity can comment on the durability of the models.

Thanks,

Dan
My flickr: flickr.com/danfogel
My website: fogelsfocus.com
Olympus OM-1n, Ricoh GR1v
Leica M4-P, Canon EOS 620

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 10:56:03 PM »
I am wondering if anyone who has used these cameras with regularity can comment on the durability of the models.
Hi Dan. These are very durable cameras. Mine above have shot near 6000 frames, and though the displays on the early models can be a bit flaky, everything else is excellent. They are a small precision built machine, and should be handled as such, mine have still survived rains, drops, heat, cold, and sorts of extremes.

Plus, that little lens is stellar. Good luck! Skj.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 08:46:18 AM »
Hi Dan.

I can only seond Skorj's comments. Mine sees fairly regular usage but the real proving ground for me was our holiday to Sri Lanka last year when my GR1s was subjected to regular (and extremely heavy) downpours of rain, very high humidity and never missed a beat.

Optically, I was extremely impressed and the build quality is great - despite feeling very light due to the (magnesium?) alloy body.

I also like the idea of the film being wound out of the film case at the outset and wound back each shot. The film counter shows how much is left rather than how much you've used.

Great little camera.

johnha

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 11:39:54 PM »
At the risk of re-opening an old topic, I think my comments may be useful.

I bought my GR1s from new shortly after they were launched, the lens hood was included with the camera (and supplied with its own pouch). As it was an expensive camera then (especially for a compact), mine has been well looked after and I haven't had any problems with mine (accepting I haven't had film developed from the camera for a few years).

The viewfinder is OK (a bit small for me with glasses) but is very informative for a compact and the illumination helps. The AF is passive with an illuminator and the finder lets you know roughly how far away it is focusing. Being able to switch the flash off permanently saves a lot of aggravation.

For those looking for a similar camera with a 28mm lens, the Fuji DL Super Mini (not the zoom version) is similar and offered manual focus (in a series of steps) - although it doesn't offer aperture priority.

John.