Author Topic: Exhaustion Is The Mother of Load Lightening  (Read 1432 times)

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
Exhaustion Is The Mother of Load Lightening
« on: February 11, 2015, 03:49:08 AM »
After my first mountain hike, when I dragged a ton of large format gear along for the trek, I decided that my next hike would be less... heavy. So, eschewing my Crown Graphic, holders and heavy tripod, I instead opted to bring my Zero Image 4x5 pinhole with a Graflex roll film back that takes 120 film. I also packed my recently acquired Rolleiflex T TLR since I hadn't shot with it yet. A couple of rolls of Ilford Delta 3200, a couple of Kodak Ektar 100 and my lightweight travel tripod and I was all set. My friend and fellow photographer Chris and I, along with each of our dogs, headed up to South Mountains State Park to hike up to High Shoals Falls. Here are some of the results.

Even though the day was warm, temps in the 50s, there was still some ice and frost in the shadier parts of the falls and river.

Falls Frost by adoephoto, on Flickr

I had seen this gentleman in the parking lot. He wore dress shoes and carried a green mop handle as a hiking stick. When we arrived at the waterfall he and I fell into conversation. He told me that his name was Joe, that he would turn 80 years old next month and that he made this hike almost weekly. I was impressed. He was also kind enough to let me take a photo of him.

Joe at the Waterfall by adoephoto, on Flickr

These next two shots are from the Zero Image pinhole.

Falls by adoephoto, on Flickr

Falls on Rocks by adoephoto, on Flickr

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: Exhaustion Is The Mother of Load Lightening
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 01:37:04 PM »
Love the series, Adam, especially the last two as I'm a BIG fan of black and white and also waterfalls. 

As for the requirement to lighten the load, it's a very moot point with me at the moment.  As a 50+ year old bloke, I'm trying to lose a load of weight and get fitter this year.  Having now got the kit I'm comfortable with, I don't want to keel over and not get the enjoyment out of it. 

When Lara and I went to Malta and Gozo last year I made a conscious effort to travel light - taking my Rolleiflex and a digi thing.  However, if we get lucky with bonuses and we're able to afford the holiday we'd really like (and we have a few options from which we'd like to be able to choose), I don't want to have to restrict myself too heavily.

If we end up in Scotland, touring in the car, it's no problem carting round the 'Blads and whatever else we want.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 06:25:41 PM »
Wonderful series!

I often carry (too) heavy gear on hiking trips. I recently got a pre-anniversary speed graphic, which is not too heavy and quite quick to set-up when you only take one lens. Probably this will become my future large format option also for travels. My other large format is a Chamonix, which is very light but testing the patience of others a bit, when I am on tour with people who don't take photographs themselves.

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 07:10:58 PM »
Thank you both.