Author Topic: The Contraption  (Read 9014 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
The Contraption
« on: March 13, 2009, 05:28:31 PM »
I just love tinkering and building odd looking contraptions. I wanted to have a ringlight for my macro shots. After seeing the cost of such devices, I decided to build something from scratch. My initial plan was to use a circular fluorescent tube. But after finding how little light these gave me (and the fact I would need to carry around a long extension cord), my mom bought me a bunch of powerful LED flashlights so I could make something portable.

So, here is the resulting gizmo. All made from scraps. The front is a piece of sample laminated flooring from the hardware store I painted using glossy white paint. The body is made from a piece of 2x3" construction lumber I had lying around in the garage. The handle was again made from scraps of wood, a piece of angle bracket and some thin wood you find in crates of clementines (and plenty of Epoxy I should add). The camera holding bracket is Manfrotto compatible and made using some old cupboard hinges I hammered flat. The lights are mounted on some gimbals mechanism so I can focus the beams. Tension is held through the use of old mailman's rubber bands from the kitchen drawer. So I can focus the beams, I use the string from an old vertical blind that gets looped through wire hoops attached to each flashlight. The tension is adjusted using a system similar to an old envelope with a string (made from an old plastic paint roller centering washer that dates back to the 70's, a screw, washer and spring.) I also added a tripod mount (1/4-20 nut welded to a large washer with holes drilled in it). To make everything nicer, everything is stained and varnished.

So, there you have it... A few weeks of work for something unique. Might have been faster to go to the store and buy something ready made, but it wouldn't have been as uncommon. (Though if I calculate it using an hourly rate... I literally worked for peanuts!)

As an added bonus, since the lights are adjustable, if I ever find somebody photogenic enough, the lights should create a nice reflection pattern in the eyes.

The only thing now is to hope that there won't be a set of batteries that decides to suddenly die just when I take a picture (like you can see on the pics of me using the device  ::) )

Here are pics from the gizmo and the first pictures taken with it :)
Notice how I can focus the beams into a small spot. All pictures taken using extension tubes and 100ISO film.

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 10:39:42 PM by Francois »
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
Re: The Contraption
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 10:26:12 PM »
ha,   brilliant  - good work.   

david b

• Peel Apart
    • Stray Light Foto
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 10:33:09 PM »
That's completely bloody mental.

I love it.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 07:12:42 AM »
That's completely bloody mental.

I love it.

You took the words from my mouth David
L.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 02:09:56 PM »
You're lucky, it's the first time I take it out in public  ;D
Francois

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 08:23:50 PM »
 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

This is the 10th time I've read this post and I'm only just now able to type out a reply...and even then I have nothing to say that's even vaguely intelligent, so I'll just remark that this has made my week and I am so glad you premiered it here. My fave section is the handle, without doubt.

Quality. Genius. Idiosyncratic. Beautiful.

:) :)

« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 09:08:21 PM by ed.wenn »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 09:17:32 PM »
Actually, the handle was a bit modeled after a folding handle I had for another camera. But it was made to fit my hand comfortably. There's a small place for the thumb on top so I can hold it extra steady :)

Thanks for the nice comments... I was at first hesitant not knowing if it would fall in the WTF category or not... obviously not :)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 09:22:05 PM by Francois »
Francois

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 01:47:35 PM »
Just sprayed tea all over the damn keyboard. I must say, Francois the world is a happier place because of you and this!

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 09:09:31 PM »
Thanks for the nice comments... I was at first hesitant not knowing if it would fall in the WTF category or not... obviously not :)

...well there's WTF in a bad way and WTF in a really good way; this is definitely the latter. There's no way this wouldn't fall into some sort of WTF category in my view.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 09:41:46 PM »
That is Supercool - I like the write-up, too.

Karl

• Sheet Film
    • Photographic Works
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 03:48:18 PM »
Brilliant. There must be an award somewhere for this
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Louis Hector Berlioz

http://www.adayindecember.wordpress.com