Author Topic: One subject/one roll: my pathetic little jasmine plant  (Read 3112 times)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
One subject/one roll: my pathetic little jasmine plant
« on: January 30, 2015, 05:05:21 PM »
Inspired by Leonore's cactus thread, I decided to waste a roll on my spunky little jasmine plant. From the cactus thread:

I too have a black thumb (which was laughingly ironic during the period of time that I was a plant molecular biologist), to the point that I've even killed weed-like money plants. But I've had one jasmine plant for about 15 years .... I've forgotten to water it, it's been infected with spiders twice, I've cut everything off of it except for one short stem and it's regrown, and I've repotted it exactly once in that entire time (about 10 years ago) and despite everything I do to the poor thing, not only does it survive, but it even flowers occasionally (though not as often as it did in its youth). Hey, maybe I'll do a one roll/one subject on it  ::)

I also had a roll of super-old E4 process Ektachrome. I found this blog post where the author claims you can xpro E4 in C41 chemicals as long as you keep the temperature low (he claims anything above 80F will melt the emulsion off. yikes!). I shot the ASA160 film at EI50, and processed it as close to 75F as I could for 18 minutes in freshly-mixed C41. What came out were the thickest negs I've ever seen. Not sure exactly what happened, maybe I overexposed it? Overdeveloped? Whatever it was, it's kind of a cool effect, so here you are.

Here, by way of introduction, is the plant up close and personal:

Like me, it enjoys music:

And sometimes even tries to record music:

We share a love of reading, and coincidentally we have the same favorite author:

We take walks together:

And of course, browse the forum together:

« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 07:38:40 PM by Indofunk »

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: One subject/one roll: my pathetic little jasmine plant
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 07:26:12 PM »
Is that plant in your band?  I see it playing the horn, singing into the microphone...  It looks like you two spend a lot of time together.  I like the dreamy effect of the film.

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 07:32:34 PM »
Wonderful series! Love the story  :)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 08:36:56 PM »
Great series; absolutely wild colours.... :o
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 10:12:50 PM »
I love these! Especially the two of you out for a walk :D
Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 06:17:01 PM »
It looks like redscale, but I suspect you didn't reverse it (?). Anyway, nice series there. A man and his plant living life in the big city.  ;D
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 07:07:38 PM »
This set really conveys the sense that the jasmine plant is a New Yorker. What I'm not getting, is what type of New Yorker? What's its favorite pizza place? Does it prefer the Post, the News or the Times? Would it rather travel down Queens Blvd by the Q65 or the R train? Poppy or everything bagels? Mets or Yankees? Kodak or Ilford? Would it rather get dim sum downtown or in Flushing? Chrysler building or Empire State?

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 11:39:02 PM »
James: good eyes! Of late I am not reversing my E6 xpros, so I decided to go that way with this E4 xpro. I did reverse a couple of photos to see how they'd look, it gave me a very cyan look, and I liked the warmth of this color palate as opposed to the cyanscale.

Adam: it's after sunset here so my plant is asleep, so I can't ask it your questions, but hey, I've known the damn thing for almost 20 years, I think I can be its alter ego for these simple questions...

1. Pizza, definitely Don Antonio's on 8th and 50th. Yes, it's in the theater district, and yes, it's a bit corporate, but there is no more authentically Neapolitan pizza place in the city and I defy anyone to prove me (oh, wait, sorry, my jasmine plant) wrong. [Note: MY favorite pizza joint is Vinnie's in Williamsburg Brooklyn, because they make insane vegan pies. Jasmine plant is not vegan, so it doesn't care for Vinnie's too much ... crust is a bit too crispy...]

2. Daily News. What, you think we're frikkin fascists here??

3. Trick question. The answer of course is the E train. Next question?

4. This is a very complicated question. Sometimes you're in a sesame mood, sometimes you're in a whole wheat mood. There is no answer to this question.

5. WE LIVE IN QUEENS. Your question is disqualified.

6. It's a goddamn plant. An evergreen plant at that. Basically all it sees is blue. And a little red. All my photos look like some weird psychedelic stuff to it.

7. See question #5. PuhLEEZE.

8. I don't think anyone in NYC cares enough about this? Am I wrong?

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 01:10:27 PM »
:thum: