Author Topic: Another set of vertical 21mm pics  (Read 1246 times)

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
Another set of vertical 21mm pics
« on: January 26, 2015, 11:45:28 AM »
from Sosua, DR

« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 03:48:24 PM by hookstrapped »

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: Another set of vertical 21mm pics
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 12:47:55 PM »
Great set, Peter, and nice to see that sort of view in portrait orientation. Love the one with the guys just sat around. Very typical DR, from memory....

My ex and I were there in June 1997.  I can ID the date as we watched Mike Tyson bit a lump out of Evander Holyfield's ear live on TV whilst in a bar in Cabarete (where we were staying) and we did some trial SCUBA dives in Sosua. Cabarete was also hosting the World Windsurfing Championships at that time.

I don't know whether it's still a nice place.  That part of the coast had pristine beaches but the bars and restaurants in Sosua and Cabarete were a bit basic (but clean) there were some great little bars on the beach which were beach huts and surf board hire during the day. 
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
Re: Another set of vertical 21mm pics
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 04:04:03 PM »
I only first went in 2012, but I can say the beach at Cabarete as well as in Sosua are still lovely.  I just realized that the trees that provide wonderful shade on Sosua beach are fairly unusual in my experience (in the next to last pic).  I don't know what they are, but they do the job, and the way they arch out it seems they are going out of their way to be hospitable.  Also, great whole fried fish there, with that big mountain in Puerto Plata in the background... def a fave spot.

I got out of El Batey (the tourist side east of the beach) to explore and shoot more in Los Charamicos, west of the beach. Though the baseball field is in El Batey.  Constantly drilling when not playing games, with different age groups taking turns.  Oscar Tavares, who died tragically in a car accident between Cabarete and Sosua last fall, was a ballplayer from Sosua, ranked as a top 5 prospect in all of Major League Baseball.  But those dreams still live strong on that ball field.