Author Topic: Kodak Super-XX Film Test  (Read 2494 times)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Kodak Super-XX Film Test
« on: January 22, 2015, 02:55:58 AM »
A few months ago I picked up an unopened box of 4x5 Kodak Super-XX Pan Film dated September 1980.  The data sheet that was in the box listed it at ASA - 200.  I decided to do a test to determine what ASA would be best to use.  I figured that since it is 35 years old it would be around 12 or 25.  To test it I metered the shot at 100 ASA and came up with f/16 at 1/100.  I pulled the dark slide out 1 inch and took the shot.  I then proceeded to pull the dark slide out 1 inch at a time shooting at the same settings.  As you can see in the photos below there are 5 different exposures the darkest being f/16 at 1/100.  The next one is f/16 at 1/100 x 2 or 1/50 and so on.  This is where I get confused, does each one effectively reduce the ASA by half?  Lets say I decide to use the one in the center, f/16 at 1/100 x 3, would that be equivalent to an ASA of 25 or is 1/100x4 at ASA 25?  It seemed simple when I shot it but the more I think about it the more I think I could be wrong.  The math makes my head hurt and I know there are some on this forum that actually enjoy this stuff, your help is much appreciated. 

I scanned the negative on a light table with an OM-D E-M5 and reversed it with Photoshop Express.  The first one is just the image reversed and the second one is with adjustments.  I think 1/100x3 or 1/100x4 is about where I want to be but your opinions on that would be helpful.  I metered on the fence, the sun was out and the light didn't change during the 5 shots.  The negative was Semi-Stand developed in Rodinal 1-100 for 1 hour which is how I will likely be developing this film in the future.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
Re: Kodak Super-XX Film Test
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 04:39:52 AM »
1/100x4=1/25, so I would say that your effective iso is 25. Sunny 16 says shoot the inverse of the iso at f/16 in sunny conditions.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 01:44:19 PM »
Yes it's a full stop per slice. As for the optimal result, it's hard to tell since we have no idea of the tonal relationship of the scene. A better test would be to take a shot of an evenly lit 18% gray card and set the scan so that the border is black. Then use the color picker to select the gray slice that would be closest to middle gray 50% in Photoshop or a value of 127 or thereabout.

Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 03:36:46 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up James and Francois, I think my head is still spinning after the discussion about senistometric density curves.  The reason I chose that shot, besides the convenience of my back yard, it has a variety of tones and shadows.  I will likely use 25 ASA for this film. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 08:43:40 PM »
I feel the optimal spot is probably somewhere between 25 and 50.
Looking at the shadows, the amount of detail visible will give you your answer.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.