Author Topic: Photosniper Modifications  (Read 6490 times)

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
Photosniper Modifications
« on: January 21, 2015, 11:26:53 AM »
I decided I wanted to build a system that would let me use this lens and the sniper mount, but with something a bit more modern, and with helpful features
The supplied camera is very basic, and the lightmeter is broken so I would always be estimating exposure.

The first mods I have done are fairly simple.

Firstly I wanted to mount it on a tripod, to try reduce the risk of being arrested or shot while using it, the lens has a 3/8 tripod thread, ordered an adapter and.........

Sniper-Mods-2 by Kayos Photos, on Flickr

So a spacer was needed, cut a captive washer from a bolt I had, as its a bit smaller diameter hole, still a bit thick but holds it well (really need to get an aluminium spacer with a countersunk hole machined up)

Sniper-Mods-3-2 by Kayos Photos, on Flickr

Next thing was to get it to mount to a different camera, I chose a Canon EF mount, as I have both film and digital camera that it will fit (I have an FD adapter on route too)

The bits I'm waiting for will explain why I chose this system, other than having lots of Canon gear

Sniper-Mods-1 by Kayos Photos, on Flickr

The chip has been programmed with the focal length and maximum aperture, for the EXIF data and calibrating the exposure scale. It also beeps to confirm focus

Quick shot of it mounted on the first EF camera I grabbed

Sniper-Mods-4 by Kayos Photos, on Flickr

Once more bits turn up I will start on the modifications to the sniper mount
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 11:32:20 AM by Kayos »

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Photosniper Modifications
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 02:10:24 PM »
Good thing you got rid of the gun stock that came with it. Keeping it is just asking for trouble.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 03:25:45 PM »
I will be keeping the stock, and making it work with the EOS cameras, however it will only be occasional use, and in private surroundings

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 02:38:50 PM »
Bit more of an update, I needed to add button to activate AF confirm and exposure check, then once the trigger is pressed to fire the shutter, originally the trigger sets the aperture then fires the shutter through a pin under a modified camera

I tried adding a button for AF/AE to the trigger as per a couple of online articles, but I could never get it working as I liked, so I added a button to the outside, and the shutter button at the end of the trigger travel.

I also added a socket to the outside to connect to the camera and made up adapter leads for my various cameras

Photosniper-5 by Kayos Photos, on Flickr

Photosniper-6 by Kayos Photos, on Flickr

The camera attached is a Canon EOS 3, which doesn't work with the af confirm chip. I have a couple of non chipped adapters on route, as well as split screen micro prism focusing screens for the cameras I plan to use with it.

As soon as my aluminium bar turns up I'm making a proper tripod mount for the lens

I have tried it, but with no split screen or AF confirm 'im not expecting much (I put tape over the chip and machined a bit off the mount so it doesn't trip the AF lens switch on the body)
Stopped down metering seems more accurate than setting the aperture (tested on digital) but I imagine a bit of compensation may be needed, so will be carrying out tests as soon as I have more bits

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 02:27:02 PM »
From memory, the fotosniper is an m42 mount. It uses a pin that gets pushed to close the aperture. As far as I know, there aren't any adapter out there that will make this possible. Most m42 lenses have an aperture ring that will allow manual aperture setting. But I have a lens that doesn't have this feature. So I ended up taking the mount apart to fit a small shim block out of a piece of wood with a small hole in it that I fit over the push pin to keep the aperture closed. It does require quite a bit of trial and error but it works just fine.
Francois

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 04:27:09 PM »
This version has an aperture ring and a small lever underneath that sets the aperture, usually once the trigger is pressed but it is plenty big enough to press by hand once its on a tripod mount.

The original adapter I bought is called a flange type, and keeps the M42 pin pressed in, however the flange isn't needed on this lens, or ones with an auto/manual switch

My non AF confim, non flange (wont work with pin type lenses) adapters turned up today, no need to machine them down to stop them flicking the AF lens switch (another internet fact busted) and even without a split screen focus screen its already way better with manual focus, stopped down metering seems accurate (tested on digital and compared with meter readings) but I need to do some controlled tests to confirm.

I honestly cant wait to get it on a tripod and try it properly, sadly I've been let down by 2 suppliers now, one with a short 1/4 to 3/8 tripod bush, and one with some aluminium bar to machine a spacer from to use the bushes I have. I will get it sorted at some point as I also want to try it on an FD mount camera, I have an adapter sat waiting, I think it would suit my EF well :)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 08:41:10 PM »
I know I read somewhere that the AF confirm in cameras requires lenses with an aperture greater than f/5.6
That's why long lenses are now so expensive. Companies just can't sell anything that opens at f/8 or more like the old mirror lenses.
Francois

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 09:00:31 PM »
Apparantly the af confirm chips won't work with any "pro" body, film or digital. It works with my 550d but not the 3, 7d is out getting a service so not checked

F5.6 is a limit for the autofocus systems, this lens was my route to "cheap" telephoto, see how it works out

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 06:51:31 PM »
Finally my aluminium turned up so I made an adapter to use the lens on  a tripod at last

Its just got a couple of studs to locate and a countersunk hole to screw the 3/8 to 1/4 adapter in

Photosniper-8 by Kayos Photos, on Flickr

Photosniper-7 by Kayos Photos, on Flickr