Author Topic: remjet removal + first results  (Read 21307 times)

Volker

• Peel Apart
    • www.dynamo.de
remjet removal + first results
« on: January 18, 2015, 10:23:26 PM »
After reading a lot about motion picture film here, i decided to give it a try. The biggest problem seems to be the complete remjet removal without damaging the emulsion side.

i did a litte research and found (on a german website – http://fotoshit.blogspot.de/2013/10/fotografieren-mit-cinefilm-oder.html) an easy and safe way to remove the remjet.

I tried it today with an unexposed Kodak Vision 2 (5218) film.
You have to do it before you start the development and it only takes about 2min.

How to:
- Dissolve 100g sodium carbonate (calc.) in 1l water (35°C) (You can use it several times)
- Put the film in the tank
- Fill the liquid into the tank.
- Turn the tank once or twice.
- Empty the tank immediately .
- Fill water (35°C) in the tank. Shake the tank for 30 sec. permanently.
- Repeat once or twice.

with remjet (below) and without

Emulsion side (without any particles)

that's it. Now you can start with the development process.

Hope this helps.....
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 10:44:13 AM by Volker »

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
Re: remjet removal
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 09:58:06 AM »
Any idea if Caffenol dissolves the remjet by itself, without an extra step? I know the sodium carbonate in the mix reacts with ascorbic acid to form sodium ascorbate, which may of course make it less suitable in removing the remjet.
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 12:56:42 PM »
thanks. I've got some kodak vision film and I had a process post-fixing but that didn't work well.
/jonas

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 09:32:11 PM »
thanks. I've got some kodak vision film and I had a process post-fixing but that didn't work well.

^^ me also! I'll give this way a try and see if it works. Thanks a lot!

Volker

• Peel Apart
    • www.dynamo.de
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 01:09:39 AM »
Today i developed the first 2 rolls (old Kodak Vision 500T; produced between 1996 and 2007; expiry date unknown).

The good news:
it works perfect. No visible remjet on the emulsion and the rear side. To ensure that there is no remjet left, i wiped  the rear side after the final bath with a tissue.

The bad news:
Partial uneven development (see the tulips + VW). I don't know why. The four rolls (Fuji Superia) i developed before, came out great. Maybe the pre-wash part has to be optimised...

Below you will find some test images i made under different light conditions:

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 05:46:17 AM »
I didn't have any Sodium Carbonate handy but I found some instructions on how to make my own.  You just have to cook Sodium Bicarbonate in the oven for an hour at 200 F.  it releases water and CO2 leaving Sodium Carbonate.  I did this and then did a few test strips with some old Kodachrome 40 Double 8mm film.  I tried your method and only a small amount of the ramjet came off.  I found that it takes about a minute while agitating the whole time to get it all off.  Maybe I didnt cook the Sodium Bicarbonate long enough and my solution is weak.  I don't know if the Sodium Carbonate will damage the emulsion if I do it for a full minute.  I'm planning on Semi-Stand developing a small test strip that I shot in my Hit camera today, I'll be excited if I get any kind of recognizable image. 

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: remjet removal + first results
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 03:27:14 AM »
I just finished processing some Kodachrome 40 with my home made Sodium Carbonate.  I agitated it for one minute and then rinsed before Semi-Stand developing the film in Rodinal 1-100 for 1 hour.  The remjet appeared to be completely gone when I pulled the film out, no scrubbing required.

The film had expired in 1985 so I metered it as ASA 5.  These shots were quite overexposed but I also had a shot that was quite underexposed.  I don't know what's up with that but I was just happy to get an image I could recognize.  I loaded about 8 inches of Double 8mm Kodachrome 40 movie film into my Hit sub-miniature camera, the only redeeming quality of this camera is its size.  I had to do a bit of digital manipulation to get the results below.

Hit the Bell by bac1967, on Flickr

Bothell Way by bac1967, on Flickr

Michael Raso

• 35mm
    • Film Photography Project
Re: remjet removal + first results
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 10:47:56 PM »
Hi Folks,
After reading so much about the dreaded "Rem Jet" I began home processing Kodak Vision 3 50d - 250D and 500T mid last year. Most recently (using the FPP supplied Unicolor C-41 Kit) I developed a roll with absolutely no Baking Soda (to remove the Rem Jet)

My process was as follows (chems at 102 degrees F):
Pre-Wash 1min
Develop - 3.5 min
Blix - 6.5 min
Rinse in hot water and then submerge film in bucket of 105 degree F water.
Wearing gloves I gently rub the Rem Jet off while the film is submerged. Final rinse under warm water to remove final residue.
Last step - Stabilizer
Easy and no more worries about Rem Jet.
Hope this helps your workflow. (Thanks for my Oxford pal Nasir for tellin' me about the No-Baking Soda process!)

Image:
Canon T60
Canon FD 50mm f1.4 lens
Kodak Vision 3 Film - 500T
Yankee Henrique Couto enjoys regional breakfast sandwich at a New Jersey Diner - Taylor Ham, Egg and Cheese on a Hard Roll