Author Topic: One Subject, One Roll - Moss  (Read 2066 times)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
One Subject, One Roll - Moss
« on: January 14, 2015, 03:13:53 AM »
It's winter in the Pacific Northwest, that means it's damp and dark, perfect conditions for moss to grow.  These were all taken in my neighborhood while I was walking my dogs.  I used my Yashica GSN Electro 35 with Kodak Gold 200 expired June, 2001, metered at 100 ASA. 

Moss 1 by bac1967, on Flickr

Moss 2 by bac1967, on Flickr

Moss 3 by bac1967, on Flickr

Moss 4 by bac1967, on Flickr

Moss 5 by bac1967, on Flickr

Moss 6 by bac1967, on Flickr

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
Re: One Subject, One Roll - Moss
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 04:10:39 AM »
Wonderful. I miss the Pacific Northwest so much. The moss is part of what makes it beautiful.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 06:10:20 AM »
Great shots! I like the contrast between the light green of the moss and the darker leafs. Especially Moss 4 is a keeper.

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 11:07:29 AM »
Excellent shots. I like moss 3 but I like broken/decaying things

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 03:33:47 AM »
That's s'alotta moss! Love the green-ness!

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 04:35:33 AM »
Thanks for the great comments everyone.  I was curious what the expired Kodak Gold would do with the green, I like how it came out.

Indofunk, that's nothing, go into the mountains around here and it gets much thicker.  This is one of the dryer places around here.  We get about 35 inches of rain each year in the Seattle area, the mountains are 100 to 200 inches.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 05:27:03 AM »
Surprising you found a non-raining moment to take some pictures! I'd rather stick with a more "normal" precipitation schedule and deal with the cold winters up here (though our Canadians will laugh at that last part :P )

Hookstrapped says that the old Kodak Gold formula was basically Ektar rebranded for the consumer market. I think he's right about the old, slower speeds (haven't tried old Gold 400)

Old Gold was our high school nickname for Olde English malt liquor. I just threw up a little in my mouth thinking of *that* formula :D

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 12:46:51 PM »
Lovely photos.  I'm not a big fan of green scenes but these are excellent and there's absolutely no point trying to shoot these in mono as the whole point is the lush, verdant, green that moss produces.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 12:17:34 AM »
Wow, that is a lot of moss! It all looks so soft and cozy :) I love #5. So primordial.
Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)